GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,322
2 members and 2,320 guests
navane

Old 06-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
i'm rereading it now and i just noticed something....anyone else's book more "british english" than the others? mine says things like jumper instead of sweater and stuff like that....it's kinda cool but all my other harry potter books has the more americanized version of english.
I noticed it too. . . skiving rather than skipping. . . .Maybe I won't be buying the British paperback version in a year or so like I did with the others. . . .

I do like the British covers better

Sarah
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-22-2003, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Whoohoo! I'm finished, so I just got my first look at this thread.

I noticed the whole British English thing too. Did you confirm it against the other books, or not? I've been meaning to look, to make sure I wasn't imagining it, but haven't gotten that far yet.

I'm dying to see what Harry got on his OWLS. I'm sure hoping they adjust the scoring on the Astronomy exam to account for the disturbance on the Hogwarts lawn!

Frankly, I'm thankful the death wasn't Lupin. My little sister and I both noticed that it was kinda glossed over, and both did double takes when he died.

I'm hoping that Harry and Snape will end up coming to more of an understanding in the next book. I seriously doubt that they will ever really like each other, but hope that considering what Harry saw in the Pensieve they can eventually at least gain a bit of respect for each other.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sherbertlemons
I noticed the whole British English thing too. Did you confirm it against the other books, or not? I've been meaning to look, to make sure I wasn't imagining it, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Frankly, I'm thankful the death wasn't Lupin. My little sister and I both noticed that it was kinda glossed over, and both did double takes when he died.
I know for certain that the other four books are more 'Americanized' than OotP. I own both the American and British versions and there is a noticible difference in the verbage.

I too am glad that Lupin didn't die (I confess, I did look at the last page to see if any of the theories were correct that were out there. . . ). I am sad that Sirius was murdered because I really liked him but I'm sure that he will play a role in the other books in some way. I also like the explanation as to why Sirius would not be coming back as a ghost. . . I'm also interested to see who is going to be Harry's legal guardian.

A good number of questions answered, but many points left unanswered. I just hope that we don't have to wait ANOTHER three years for book 6!

Sarah
Old 06-22-2003, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Quote:
Originally posted by sherbertlemons

I'm dying to see what Harry got on his OWLS. I'm sure hoping they adjust the scoring on the Astronomy exam to account for the disturbance on the Hogwarts lawn!

I'm hoping that Harry and Snape will end up coming to more of an understanding in the next book. I seriously doubt that they will ever really like each other, but hope that considering what Harry saw in the Pensieve they can eventually at least gain a bit of respect for each other.
me too. i was wishing the whole end of the book that harry would somehow get to sit down with snape and explain to him how he felt when he saw snape's memory in the pensieve. i think harry gained a lot of respect for him at that point.
i was really hoping we would find out what they all got on their OWLS too. for some reason i think that harry probably got the outstanding level on DADA and Potions, at least he seemed like he felt really comfortable with both of them, AND it would make sense because i think he really will end up being an auror. it kills me that we'll have to wait to find out. i'm so glad she's already started wrting the 6th book.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
The only truly annoying thing was the books brevity. And I am not being sarcastic. I started it last night at 9 and finished it up after work this afternoon.

So a years wait for me, for a few measley hours of gratification. *sigh*

I just saw the movie "Alex and Emma" and it would be kind of cool if JKR had that kind of motivation to finish the new book in a month lol.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i'm rereading it now and i just noticed something....anyone else's book more "british english" than the others? mine says things like jumper instead of sweater and stuff like that....it's kinda cool but all my other harry potter books has the more americanized version of english.
I noticed this too, and thought it was cool. I think the fourth book contained some British words and phrases instead of American words (more than the first three) but the difference between the fourth and fifth books was pretty big.

My guess (well, to be accurate, hope) is that the reason that this book took so long to write is that Rowling was also working on Books 6 and 7 to make sure everything matched up (she's a notorious planner and note-maker), so hopefully parts of Book 6 are already written and we won't have to wait three years for it.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
Just finished the book and reading the posts in this thread.

All in all, a great Potter book. Just one note: We will most likely have to wait three years for the next book just because JKR likes the press she has gotten from the last two books and how the wait increases our love for the series and anxiousness to read the next one - after all, the first printing contained 8.5million copies in the U.S. alone, and has already sold over 50 million if I've read the news correctly....

...without a serious part of the book being revealed beforehand....

Old 06-23-2003, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I was the same when Black died when they said the he died, I was like, he fell thru a door! what!

also I think if Ron could help it Harry and Ginny would be together, and I am more positive about Ron and Hermoine, the way they fight and then when Ron found out she was writing to Viktor! he was mad, but then she said "penpal" and the helped!

at the beging i though that Luna had a crush on Harry, but then she was acting funny about Ron, so I don't really know!

Oh! I love what Fred and George did!

But what happened to Percy? did he rejoin his family, i don't remember him at the end.

Christia

Last edited by rainbowbrightCS; 06-23-2003 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by docetboy

Just one note: We will most likely have to wait three years for the next book just because JKR likes the press she has gotten from the last two books and how the wait increases our love for the series and anxiousness to read the next one - after all, the first printing contained 8.5million copies in the U.S. alone, and has already sold over 50 million if I've read the news correctly....
i don't know about that....i htink it will be sooner. she said that the 6th book will be much shorter than both the 4th and the 5th so i think chances are that it will be earlier rather than later. she's still going to get all the people wanting to buy the 6th book no matter what. i'll be buying it the day it comes out if i don't preorder again at least.

Christia~i was thinking the same thing about Ron wanting Ginny and Harry together!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
i don't know about that....i htink it will be sooner. she said that the 6th book will be much shorter than both the 4th and the 5th so i think chances are that it will be earlier rather than later. she's still going to get all the people wanting to buy the 6th book no matter what. i'll be buying it the day it comes out if i don't preorder again at least.
Part of the reason for the LONG delay between books is because JKR got married and had a baby. You figure that took 2 years out of the picture. I woud hazard a guess that it will only be about a year and a half before the next book comes out. . . . (though I would prefer only a year wait. . . .)

Sarah
Old 06-23-2003, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

This post is going to be entirely speculation about the last two books, so if you don't want to read that, skip it.

The more I think about it, the stranger the prophecy is. At first when I read it, I had that "So what?" feeling that so many people did. I mean, of course Harry and Voldemort are connected, and of course one is going to have to kill the other. Haven't we understood that from the second or third book onward? Really, the only unique thing about the prophecy was the fact that it could have also possibly included Neville . . . and J.K. Rowling closes that possibility off by saying "But of course it's you, Harry, because of your scar."

From a completely literary standpoint, there's no reason why she should bring up that point just to immediately dismiss it. What she's doing is opening up the possibility of Neville being the subject of the prophecy while, at the same time, leading the readers to think that there's no way it could be Neville. And for those of us who have read the books, I think we've realized that a lot of things that happen that seem strange at the time later turn out to have some deeper meaning.

In short, I'm pretty sure that something is going to happen that re-opens the possibility of Neville being the subject of that prophecy. Otherwise there was no point to the fact that Rowling brought it up in the first place.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

that's a good point, especially since Neville really proved his own in this book. neville is giong to become a huge character i think, his role has grown a lot since he was inroduced.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I finished the book on Sunday morning, and while I liked it, I think listening to all the media hype made me expect a little more. The "horrible to write about" death was, as other GCers have said, anticlimactic, as was Dumbledore's explanation for why Harry and Voldemort are connected. It was certainly logical, but it wasn't the huge "ah-ha!" that the media promised. I'll probably re-read the book sometime soon. JK puts so many subleties in her writing that I catch a new detail or nuance with every read.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Did anybody understand that bit about Stubby Boardman?I didn't find out where it said that he was or wasn't the real Sirius.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

This book was pretty good, but not as good I think as number 4. I lost a lot of respect for Harry in this book, he was being such a jerk though the whole thing, always snapping at everybody and wallowing in his own pity party. But I gained lots of respect for Neville and even some for Snape. I need to reread the book, there were so many plot lines that I need to try and sort them again with a second read.