GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,538
1 members and 2,537 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

A Texan's Arkansas recruitment story

Hello! I’m an incoming freshman at the University of Arkansas. I thought I would share my recruitment story with all of you since you seem to like them. I also think it may be therapeutic. Orientation and open parties start tomorrow, and I haven’t been this nervous about something in a long time.
I’m going to be the first in my extended family to go through recruitment, and I’m from Texas (currently on the drive up for move-in day J ) For now I’ll share my knowledge/thoughts going in for each sorority. But don’t worry- if there’s one thing I have learned from this website it is that I HAVE to have an open mind if I want recruitment to go well.
The sororities at Arkansas are Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Alpha Omicron Pi, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Delta, and Pi Beta Phi, with Alpha Chi Omega and Phi Mu colonizing. I’m going to change the names to cities/towns in Texas, to show my love.
In no particular order the houses will now be known as:
Austin
Dallas
Ft. Worth
Houston
Lubbock
El Paso
Arlington
Abilene
Denton
Galveston
AUSTIN- Going in, I have really high hopes for Austin. From the pictures I’ve seen on the Facebooks of girls I know in this sorority, it looks like they have such a fun sisterhood. Their mascot and philanthropy hold a special place in my heart for personal reasons, too.
DALLAS- Dallas has my favorite house. I don’t know much about them as I don’t know anyone in this house. I’m excited to learn more about them, and get to see inside their house!
FT. WORTH- From what I’ve seen from girls I know, this house has so far been my favorite. I know it is very competitive though. The sisters all seem so close and dedicated to each other.
HOUSTON- Another house I don’t know much about. From what I have heard they have one of the best sisterhoods on campus though. I am excited to see what the sisters love about their sorority.
LUBBOCK- This is the house I know the least about. In fact I know nothing so there is no more to put here. Looking forward to learning about them.
DENTON- A colony. A family friend is involved in this so I am especially interested in it. Can’t wait for the presentations.
EL PASO- El Paso is one of my favorites. I love their philanthropy, and when I think “El Paso,” I think sorority. I know they do some really fun things to support their philanthropy and I would love to be involved in them.
ARLINGTON- One of my very favorites. I don’t know exactly what it is about this house that draws me to it. The only thing is that this house has a very odd philanthropy. Well, I think it’s odd, at least. I hope I make it to philanthropy day at this house at least, just so I can learn about what they do to support it! I’m very interested.
ABILENE- This is the house I have been least excited about- nothing about it has really caught my eye. BUT, something(s) about this house HAS drawn hundreds of girls to it, so I look forward to learning more about it.
GALVESTON- Another colony. I have no idea what to expect. Again, looking forward to the presentation.
Ok, clean slate time. Orientation starts bright and early tomorrow morning. I look forward to sharing more with everyone!

Last edited by WPSPNM; 08-29-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Ok- sorry for the delay. I have been busy 95% of the time since bid day! but now I finally have time to get back to this :)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems like you're going in with a fairly open mind. Just remember to keep it that way and not let the gossip get to you! Make sure if you are posting your story live that you keep personal details (specific themes of chapters, what you wore, anything that could reveal your identity) on the down low. The last thing any of us want is to see your recruitment suffer due to GC! But with that said, good luck and I can't wait to hear your story! Try to stay cool, I know it is pretty hot there.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Have a great week! Since you have found GC, I am sure you have read all the stickies regarding rush. As the week progresses, and emotions run high, I encourage you to re- read some of those to help you keep clear perspective.

Go hogs! I love a hog recruitment story!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish you good luck and would tell you to not post realtime,, Maybe start posting a couple of days into your recruitment.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

best of luck! I agree with everyone above. Since you've given us your school and revealed there is a colony, be very careful what you say!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

To play it safe I would suggest typing up your thoughts each night but not actually posting until after recruitment is over. We would much rather "see" you have a successful recruitment than you posting each day and it possibly affecting you (and yes, PNM's recruitments have been affected from postings on greekchat).

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great recruitment!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
To play it safe I would suggest typing up your thoughts each night but not actually posting until after recruitment is over. We would much rather "see" you have a successful recruitment than you posting each day and it possibly affecting you (and yes, PNM's recruitments have been affected from postings on greekchat).
DITTO!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck WPSPNM! Looking forward to hearing the rest of your story, when you decide to tell it!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the advice! I will save my story and take off what I have said before- you guys scared me haha. What I will tell you is that I have been LOVING recruitment!!! Tons of amazing sorority girls, gamma chis, and fellow pnms
Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! I was so glad to see that the weather is being cooperative! No temps in the 100's! Have fun! I cant wait to read your story! Go hogs!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush day 1- Open Parties

ABILENE- Our first party! Greatly exceeded my expectations, I had soo much fun! I connected with the first girl I talked to more than the second. This party got me hyped up for the rest of the day and helped get rid of my nerves. The house mom was awesome. She seemed very nice and fun, doing a little dance around the porch. I wouldn’t mind coming back here.
EL PASO- This party was even better than the last. I got to talk to a few girls. I connected very well with one and had a nice chat with the other. Those two seemed as excited to talk to me and I was to them. The last girl I talked to, though, didn’t seem enthusiastic at all about talking to me- that was a downer. The girls here were so intimidating but only because they put the focus on us, it was intense! I would love to come back to this house.
FT. WORTH- This party was not as fun as I had hoped- probably because I was stuttering more here than other places and didn’t connect as well with as many of these girls as in other houses. I still hoped to come back to see if we could grow on each other.
GALVESTON-I’m not sure how much I can say about this since it was one of the colonies, but they gave the most impeccable presentation I have ever seen.

HOUSTON- This house was louder than all the others. It made the experience a little uncomfortable because the girls talking to us were very close to my face. I didn’t like it as much as the others because they seemed pushier than other houses. I didn’t really want to come back here.
LUBBOCK- This is the first house that I LOVED. I adored the girls I talked to, they both were amazingly nice and had great conversations with me. It seemed like they were genuinely excited to see me. This house felt very “sorority” to me, in the look, the actions, the house- everything. I definitely hoped to be invited back! And so did many other girls- this was the most popular house of the day.
DALLAS- Also very much liked Dallas. I had the best conversations here and bonded with the girls I was talking to over a lot of different things. I also liked that I got to talk to so many girls. I was really hoping to be invited back here!
ARLINGTON- I really like Arlington. The house was just as amazing as expected (from what I could see) and I liked who I talked to. They also seemed excited I was there. The girl I had a better conversation with was also pushy, though, but was at least more informative. She shared a lot about what they do for their philanthropy. I wanted to get the chance to learn more about these girls.
AUSTIN- I was so excited for Austin! After FTWorth not being so fun, I was nervous this would disappoint me to. But I had a great time!!! I got to talk to a lot of sisters, and got to say hello to a lot of others. They seemed genuinely excited for me to be there. I loved that. Definitely wanted to come back!

So after a lot of thinking, and pro/conning, my rank was:
1. Austin/ Lubbock
2. Dallas/ El Paso
3. Arlington
4. Ft. Worth
and the two I ranked last to be released were
1. Abilene
2. Houston.
After ranking I was a little worried about releasing Abilene. I wish we could have kept one more… We will see how it goes next when I get my invitations for philanthropy day!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Please keep going!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Where is Denton?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Where is Denton?
NW of Dallas. Where the University of North Texas resides.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
NW of Dallas. Where the University of North Texas resides.
I'm a moron! I thought you were asking literally where it was. Carry on...