GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,352
2 members and 2,350 guests
MSKKG

Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

The idea of "recommendations"

My introduction to sorority recruitment came, of course, from my own university's recruitment system. Here, we do not require "recommendations" at all, and to be quiet honest, I never even knew they existed until I stumbled upon GreekChat and talked with one of my friends who ended up pledging ADPi back home in Texas.

I guess I'm a bit curious on what the general trend with recommendations is. If it's not required by nationals, when and where and why did the trend begin? Does it only apply to specific sororities (or groups of sororities)? How heavily does it even factor into the bid process, because to me it seems as if the decisions are largely based on the recruitment parties instead of all the supporting information (I mean, seriously that's a lot of stuff to read through).

And just FYI, I am in no means trying to rush another sorority (AXO 'til I die!) and I don't have made-up relatives trying to get into sorority XYZ. I'm genuinely curious about the phenomenon of "recommendations" - hopefully some of you can clarify!
ΦΒ To be rather than to seem to be.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriverite View Post
My introduction to sorority recruitment came, of course, from my own university's recruitment system. Here, we do not require "recommendations" at all, and to be quiet honest, I never even knew they existed until I stumbled upon GreekChat and talked with one of my friends who ended up pledging ADPi back home in Texas.

I guess I'm a bit curious on what the general trend with recommendations is. If it's not required by nationals, when and where and why did the trend begin? Does it only apply to specific sororities (or groups of sororities)? How heavily does it even factor into the bid process, because to me it seems as if the decisions are largely based on the recruitment parties instead of all the supporting information (I mean, seriously that's a lot of stuff to read through).

And just FYI, I am in no means trying to rush another sorority (AXO 'til I die!) and I don't have made-up relatives trying to get into sorority XYZ. I'm genuinely curious about the phenomenon of "recommendations" - hopefully some of you can clarify!
“Recommendations” are/can be the same as recruitment information forms (RIFs). If you are not requiring them someone may need to refresh the training for the recruitment team (specifically CRIC). They are required per national policy prior to the offering of a bid. Beyond that I would recommend directing questions to headquarters or your PCC.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess I'm a bit curious on what the general trend with recommendations is. If it's not required by nationals, when and where and why did the trend begin? Does it only apply to specific sororities (or groups of sororities)?
Each sorority has different policies regarding Recs. Some campuses are highly competitive when it comes to Recruitment while others aren't. Typically on those competitive campuses Recs are just another thing in addition to GPA, strong resumes, and the PNM's personality that decisions are based on. There is a limited number of PNMs that can be invited back each round. The goal is to pick the best candidates possible and therefore we want as much info as possible to make the best decisions.

Quote:
How heavily does it even factor into the bid process, because to me it seems as if the decisions are largely based on the recruitment parties instead of all the supporting information
Careful there, you are treading dangerously close to confidential membership selection policies. However I will say that of course a PNMs personality is important, however that "supporting information" is critical too. Members should be chosen on more than just being really nice and fun to talk to. They should also bring something to the table like leadership skills, volunteering, committment to academics, etc, all of which is listed in that supporting information.

Quote:
(I mean, seriously that's a lot of stuff to read through).
Yup, it is. And we read every single line of every single one. Last year my chapter received over 1300 Recs.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Can an NPHCer chime in?

I think lyrelyre touched on what I was thinking when I read the OP--of course, I didn't know those details. Don't all or almost all of the national GLOs require recommendations or some version of it? Regardless of how much it is to read, we have to have a formal and documented part of the process that goes beyond our interactions with that person on campus.

I liken it to being a prospect for certain organizations outside of Greekdom and being on the job market. You can have an awesome interview process and have crappy credentials and references, and vice versa. It is up to the members to determine what is acceptable and unacceptable based on national guidelines and whatever (if any) leeway chapters are given.

Last edited by DrPhil; 01-21-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Your explanations have helped a bit in my understanding. At my university, we don't require letters of recommendation from chapter alumni, etc. However, we do indeed have recruitment information sheets that need to be filled out (which ask us, among other things, what activities we're involved in, why we're going through recruitment, etc.) I suppose they are simply two different ways of addressing the same need - the need to know more about the PNM, her values, and background. I don't believe that nationals requires the specific format of an alumni rec, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't believe that nationals requires the specific format of an alumni rec, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrelyre View Post
They are required per national policy prior to the offering of a bid.
Listen to what one of your Sisters has to say on the matter.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

what he said!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your explanations have helped a bit in my understanding. At my university, we don't require letters of recommendation from chapter alumni, etc. However, we do indeed have recruitment information sheets that need to be filled out (which ask us, among other things, what activities we're involved in, why we're going through recruitment, etc.) I suppose they are simply two different ways of addressing the same need - the need to know more about the PNM, her values, and background. I don't believe that nationals requires the specific format of an alumni rec, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. The recruitment information sheets you are describing sound like they are completed by the PNM. That is not what’s required. I am referring to form A/C 62 or a personal recommendation from an alumnae member in good standing. Again, I would urge you to speak with your recruitment team, advisors, or headquarters as it sounds like you are not following internal policy.

Last edited by lyrelyre; 02-05-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have a copy of "The Lyre" handy but I'm pretty sure that a "rec" form is included in every issue. Look through your next issue and you should see it. Also, please take Lyrelyre's advice about a refresher. Current chapter procedure aside, at the very least you will need to be familiar with the process as an alum when you may be asked to write a rec for a young PNM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Yikes.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

It's a misnomer when somebody says "recommendations are not required."

What that USED to mean was that the PNM did not have to solicit her own recommendations. Her hometown alumnae would do that for her, without her even knowing it. OR the chapter would contact local alumnae and request a rec.

And it still works that was with many campuses.

But for most NPC groups, a rec or information form from a member is still required before the pref round or bidding.

Also, at many campuses with big numbers of PNMs signing up for recruitment, the chapter cannot possibly solicit recs for each girl from the hometown alums. Although the school's recruitment guide may still employ that "recs are not required" phrase, in reality, the PNM had better start finding alums to rec her.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
But for some NPC groups, a rec or information form from a member is still required before the pref round or bidding.
Fixed that post for you.

Miriverite - I went to a small college in PA where girls could sign up for rush the day of rush. Obviously they didn't have any recommendations going in. Since then, some GC posters who are members of some of the groups we had on campus said that a rec is REQUIRED before someone is given a bid. So the girls got the recs in some way.

If, as I'm getting the impression, AXO requires a rec from an alum before bidding, you DID get one - you just didn't know it was submitted for you. The chapter and/or nearby alumnae took care of it.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Fixed that post for you.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If, as I'm getting the impression, AXO requires a rec from an alum before bidding, you DID get one - you just didn't know it was submitted for you. The chapter and/or nearby alumnae took care of it.
Exactly.

Many, many members of groups that require a rec don't realize (or have forgotten) that it was done for them.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahhh, that explains it. Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

P.S. Welcome Sister!