GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,366
2 members and 1,364 guests
acg233, Sarak24034

Old 06-17-2001, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Strict Silence Rules

Is it the same for every school? I could've sworn that someone told me ours went into effect like May 31st, and I don't know if the prospectives are supposed to know or not. But I talked to this girl from a sorority on AOL IM yesterday! I don't know if she knew that I knew which one she was in, bc I just asked her if she went to my school and what her major was. Later on as the conversation progressed she asked me if I was planning to rush, and when I was coming for orientation. She asked what my name was, where I was from, and if I had a picture, so she could recognize me at orientation and say hi. My question is, by doing this have I violated the "Strict Silence Code?" No names of any sorority were ever mentioned, just rush. And now that she has my name and picture, is it possible that she could use it against me at rush because I talked to her on AIM over the summer? (Hence "breaking the rules")Or am I just making a big deal out of nothing? Geez, reading over this I sound like a complete nutcase but I think I have reasonable grounds for my "paranoia" lol. If anyone has any advice, send it my way! Thanks!
Old 06-17-2001, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Obviously, like you said, these rules vary from school to school. At my school, it doesn't take effect until move-in day. If I were you, I'd call someone at Greek Affairs at your school (I'm sure someone will be there,) and without talking about your encounter on AOL IM, ask them what the rule is. If you didn't violate the rule, than no worries, though I'd still suggest you avoid contact w/sorority members, just because you don't want to put anyone in a potentially awkward situation. If you did violate strict silence, my advice would just be to not make the mistake again. Since she initiated the name/picture conversation, I think you can rest assured that she won't "rat you out" because she'd get in more trouble than you. Anyway, I hope you have an awesome rush, and try nor to worry too much
Old 06-17-2001, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been out of school for several years and may be incorrect. However, I think the burden of the "no contact rule" lies on the member not the prospective new member. Also, over the summer there is some discretion. If a prospective new member lives next door to you, or is a member of your church, you are not expected to ignore her. However, one-on-one and group activities are to be limited. Schools vary with start dates on the “no contact rule,” those that have delayed or winter recruitment the rule often does not go in affect until the start of the fall semester. Schools with August/September rush often are affected by the rule on the first day of summer vacation.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
At my school, the "no contact rule" goes into effect at the Deaffiliation Ceremony in August. The "strict silence rule" goes into effect after the last preference part/bid signing until New Member Presentation.
Old 06-17-2001, 06:14 PM
UMgirl

I think our silence period goes something like this. If you are an orienation leader, during that time you are not affilated with your house. Silence period starts that minute you step foot on campus for the semester, cuz usually rush begins like a week or 2 after.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school, strict contact (where you can talk to non-Greeks, as long as it's about class or something else completely non-Greek) begins about a week before recruitment begins. Strict silence begins the Friday before, where we can't talk to any non-Greek women at all.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school, the Rho Chi's Disaffiliate a full quarter before, if we do winter Rush. If we have Fall rush, everyone must respect the no contact rule 2 weeks before Rush. We take off our stickers, and can't wear Theta stuff on Campus or around town until Rush is over...I think it's eased up for this year, but we just can't be around where Freshman area likely to socialize prior to Rush.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

geesh, after reading this post im glad that Im a guy and go to a small school and we dont have to worry about all of that stuff, it would probably drive me crazy! --JIM