GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,256
1 members and 2,255 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The phrase "membership selection" is private...

I just have a question that I have always been curious about. For sororities, when you say, "membership selection is private and is ritual" does EVERY chapter of XYZ follow the same voting/rating procedures or does each chapter of XYX have their own system which they keep private? I know for fraternities it's very flexible how your chapter can decide to make cuts/votes that differ from the "national standard" but I've always been curious how it works on the sorority side.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsteele View Post
I just have a question that I have always been curious about. For sororities, when you say, "membership selection is private and is ritual" does EVERY chapter of XYZ follow the same voting/rating procedures or does each chapter of XYX have their own system which they keep private? I know for fraternities it's very flexible how your chapter can decide to make cuts/votes that differ from the "national standard" but I've always been curious how it works on the sorority side.
We have guidelines in the Membership Handbook as far as Membership Selection goes that each chapter is expected to follow.

Whether or not they do, it's hard to say. I've never had to contact my sisters at [insert name here] University to see if they're following IHQ's standards, but I assume they are. I know my chapter does.

I know you're curious and you mean no harm by this thread, but I already get the feeling that people may dip their toes in waters they're not supposed to just by replying to this and it worries me a little.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
We have guidelines in the Membership Handbook as far as Membership Selection goes that each chapter is expected to follow.

Whether or not they do, it's hard to say. I've never had to contact my sisters at [insert name here] University to see if they're following IHQ's standards, but I assume they are. I know my chapter does.

I know you're curious and you mean no harm by this thread, but I already get the feeling that people may dip their toes in waters they're not supposed to just by replying to this and it worries me a little.
Some of this is probably a reflection of how long ago it was that I participated in MS, but I also tend to think that you wouldn't know how anything other than how your chapter did it, unless someone else blabbed about their chapter.

I could be wrong, but as a regular non-officer member, I don't think I even saw any written guidelines from IHQ. I just did what I was directed to by the chapter. If we had renegade officers or advisers, I wouldn't know how it was actually supposed to be done, nor do I know exactly how it's done today. Weird, huh?

Last edited by UGAalum94; 05-02-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: deleted ETA because OTW answered.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post

I could be wrong, but as a regular non-officer member, I don't think I even saw any written guidelines from IHQ. I just did what I was directed to by the chapter. If we had renegade officers or advisers, I wouldn't know how it was actually supposed to be done, nor do I know exactly how it's done today. Weird, huh?
Not weird at all.

In the time I served as a member of Executive Council (both as Collegiate VP and later on an advisor), I've seen and possessed the various officer/advisor handbooks. As far as the Membership one goes...I think I've taken a look at it a total of 3 times because of the sensitivity of its contents. If I needed clarification on something, I would have to go through the proper channels of authority to get my answer. I couldn't directly reference it myself.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsteele View Post
I would assume that since the sororities are more standardized than the fraternities in matters of rush and pledging programs, it would follow that they would be the same as far as membership selection.

2 different chapters might not come up with the same assessment of the same girl, but you probably already figured that out.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 PM

Our HQ has a standard membership selection process that each chapter follows. Details about the process itself aren't disclosed until after initiation. Basically, as a new member, you know that there's a process to choosing new members, but you don't learn what it is until after you are initiated.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-03-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Also... generally, what goes on in a particular membership selection session is not discussed outside the room.

To make up an example, let's say that a sorority requires a simple majority vote of all the sisters to issue a bid to a given PNM. Say there are 50 sisters. Once a PNM is initiated, she'll learn the process of membership selection, but she'll never know if she herself was voted in unanimously or if she got in on a 26-24 vote.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Our HQ has a standard membership selection process that each chapter follows. Details about the process itself aren't disclosed until after initiation. Basically, as a new member, you know that there's a process to choosing new members, but you don't learn what it is until after you are initiated.
Exactly, with one exception: we are proud to state that Alpha Delta Pi was the first to ban the Black Ball system in Membership Selection.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
Some of this is probably a reflection of how long ago it was that I participated in MS, but I also tend to think that you wouldn't know how anything other than how your chapter did it, unless someone else blabbed about their chapter.

I would feel comfortable in saying that most chapters follow the membership handbook pretty closely - given that advisors, any recruitment consultants from IHQ, etc might be present during recruitment/MS, if an individual chapter strayed too far from the official policies, someone would figure it out and call it to their attention eventually.

OTW - I'm technically supposed to have a copy of the Membership Handbook as a Chapter Advisor, but I don't even have one yet! (A little frustrating b/c there have been a few times I would have needed to reference it, but they're working on getting me a copy...)
Old 05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

A comment on another aspect of membership, I find it ironic how members and new members want to leave a group because "they don't feel like they belong there,, they hate everything about it, etc.' but they keep joining Facebook groups associated with the glo.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
A comment on another aspect of membership, I find it ironic how members and new members want to leave a group because "they don't feel like they belong there,, they hate everything about it, etc.' but they keep joining Facebook groups associated with the glo.
I'll admit, I usually don't care about sorority stuff and Facebook, but this bugs me too.

Lakers Nation.