GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,204
3 members and 2,201 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-28-2003, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Important Senate Bill- Members Please Help

Ok Greek Chat Lambda Chi's- here is a chance to actually help out.

Right now in the Senate there is a bill called S.1246 that would let housing donations be tax deductible for Greek Housing. It has passed the house but stalled in the senate. This would be a big boost to our giving/ housing projects in the Greek World. Most of the Big Fraternities are down there lobbying as we speak.

What can we do?

Write a letter to both of your state senators, and do it asap. This kind of letter writing campaign can help. Here is the letter that I just sent to both of my State Senators.

Copy and paste the appropriate parts

Lenoxxx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 28th, 2003

The Honorable Rick Santorum
United States Senate
711 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Senator Santorum:

Please consider sponsoring S. 1246, the Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act of 2003. I am an alumnus of Shippensburg University, and a member of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. This legislation will improve the safety of fraternity and sorority houses nationwide.

Currently, taxpayers can deduct contributions to an organization exempt from taxation under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. If the 501(c)(3) organization is aligned with a college or university, that organization may expend contributions on student facilities such as dorms, dining halls, study areas, libraries, computers, laundry facilities, physical fitness facilities and social or recreational areas. More importantly, the organization may expend funds on providing life-safety systems, such as updated fire detection and prevention systems. These expenditures do not threaten the tax status of the organization.

Next to colleges and universities, fraternities and sororities are the largest not-for-profit student landlords in the United States, providing housing to more than 250,000 students at no cost to the host institution. Clearly, fraternities and sororities are meeting a need for housing at colleges and universities across the country, but unlike a 501(c)(3) that is aligned with a college or university, a 501(c)(3) aligned with a fraternity or sorority cannot make the same broad types of expenditures detailed above without jeopardizing its exempt status. In particular, a 501(c)(3) aligned with a fraternity or sorority can only spend funds on purely educational housing improvements, and thus cannot purchase life-safety systems, such as a sprinkler system.

Life-saving technologies, like sprinkler systems, are present in only 35% of campus fires, placing many students at risk. Fires at fraternity and sorority houses comprise 10% of campus fires each year, but have five times the damage costs and twice the injury rate of other fires. A change in the tax law to encourage investments in collegiate housing life-safety technology is a change that will undoubtedly save lives in the years to come.

S. 1246 will correct the disparity in tax treatment of gifts used for the benefit of collegiate housing infrastructure improvements and help improve student safety. Please consider adding your name to the list of co-sponsors of S. 1246 today.

Sincerely,

Jason Lenox
4335 West Whitehall Road
Pa Furnace, PA 16865
September 28th, 2003

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Kuddos to Brother Lenox!

I for one will do it, and pass along to my Zeta!

It is a perfect time to Let All Brothers Know!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a great idea...when is the bill coming to a Senate vote?

ZAX,
Bill Foltz
BO 130
Old 09-30-2003, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
Unhappy California will vote no

Unfortunately, I think there are two no votes from the California delegation. Senators Boxer and Feinstein have a philosophy and voting track record that would suggest that they are unsupportive of Greek life.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

John1082, why should they be any different from anyone else in Cal?

But, with a School System The Size Of Cal. If I was a piece of Toast, I would love to have some Butter on it!

Hell, if could get The Greeks, Active and Alums to write, it could help!

I sent to both of Ks Senators a Fantastic copy of Brother Lenox's letter, but with some changes of course!

I am also going to send to My Zeta and hope that all on GC do the same thing!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-02-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks to Brother GC Member Lenoxxx for His Post on the LXA Thread.

I have moved this Post to Greek Life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a wake up call where many of us can do something that will benefit All Of Us!

Please contact all of your Brothers and Sisters in reference to this! Chapters Alum/Active either one should know about this and try do something! This Could effect All of us on how We as Memebers donate money and to whom!

I am sure he would not mind if you copy his letter and make the necessary changes in names!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-02-2003, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: California will vote no

Quote:
Originally posted by john1082
Unfortunately, I think there are two no votes from the California delegation. Senators Boxer and Feinstein have a philosophy and voting track record that would suggest that they are unsupportive of Greek life.
I would hope that Barbara Boxer wouldn't be unsupportive towards Greek life -- considering that she is a D Phi E!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to babyhootie Send a message via Yahoo to babyhootie
Smile Thanks, lenoxxx!!!

lenoxxx, thanks for letting us know this information... i passed it on to like, everybody!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Jason - Your letter to Sen. Santorum was probably well-targeted, since he was a PiKap at Penn State when I was there (he was a few years ahead of me, but that still makes me pretty old). The PiKaps had a gorgeous house.

I'm not a fan of the Senator's - if he were running against a warthog I'd probably be out campaigning for the warthog - but maybe he can make himself a little less useless and annoying by supporting this bill.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I sent a similar letter to Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison & John Cornyn...I think I got the sample letter from the Delta Upsilon web-site. I have yet to hear back from either of them, though. The best we can do is flood them with letters & e-mails about it to make sure they are thinking about it.

ETA: I sent it through e-mail via their respective web-sites.

Last edited by dzandiloo; 10-03-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

It takes a while to get snail mail letters

Keep in mind everybody that if you send a letter to govt officials in washington it takes a LONG time for the office to get it since they are checking mail now (anthrax, etc.)... anytime my congressional office knows ppl need to send correspondence, we suggest sending it to the district office IN the state. If you really need to send it to Washington, send it through e-mail or fax it.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

While your point is well taken about snail mail, that is not what was being asked!

Here is a situation where you and I can donate money to build a House that would be tax deductable.

My Chapter at the moment is trying to raise money to build a New House. I can give as much money to the Chapter or National, but only deductable for Education! Not building the New House! I am still doing it regardless!

Now, with the influx of new students, less Housing, on campus and within the City, the prices are higher! But, the Greek Organizations usually are cheaper so as to attract members to live in the houses! We do try to be compriable but less expensive!

The point is, We as Greeks Do More Than anyother Organizations for the benefit of others. Ergo, why should We not be given the same benefits as others are getting!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-03-2003, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

All I was saying that if you are writing a letter (about this situation) to your congressman, make sure you send it fax or e-mail..

What's with the rant about why this bill is such a good thing? I know it is, duh... I am just giving people a head's up to let them know if they lobby for it, not to do it in such an ineffective way as snail mail ( I work in a Congressional Office, I know what works and what doesn't.. e-mailing is just as effective.. picking up the phone to comment on legislation is even better). It takes one month for real mail to get to a government office because they have to irradiate the mail for Anthrax.

Last edited by babyhootie; 10-03-2003 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Write a letter to both of your state senators, and do it asap. This kind of letter writing campaign can help. Here is the letter that I just sent to both of my State Senators.
Jason,

I think what you mean is write your particular state's US Senators. State senators are altogether different.

To find out who your Senators are and their e-mail addresses, go here:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

Thanks for posting this, Jason!

Jono
Old 10-05-2003, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Jono,

Thanks for looking this up and posting it!

Now GCers, there is NO reason not to pass this along to your Duly Elected US Senators.

Please Pass this on to All Of your Members and Alum Groups.

There are Many Greek Members out there Who Can Make a difference!

babyhootie, as we have talked, I am sure you now know this is not a Rant. It is a statement of fact where by, maybe We as Greeks can get a break for a change and rightly so.

I have emailed My Two Senators and asked for a response from them. So Far None. Go figure?

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 10-05-2003 at 11:31 AM.