GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,483
2 members and 1,481 guests
Titchou

Old 04-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

QUARANTINE!!

How are you coping? Are you an essential worker, or are you able to work from home? Do you have any fears about going outside or to the store?

I'm hoping that, in years to come, we can look back at this thread and see how we got through this very unusual time of life!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
How are you coping? Are you an essential worker, or are you able to work from home? Do you have any fears about going outside or to the store?

I'm hoping that, in years to come, we can look back at this thread and see how we got through this very unusual time of life!
I'm a computer programmer for a regulatory organization for the stock market. My department already had a considerably number of people working from off-site or some number of days from home. The only question was whether the infrastructure could handle the *entire* company working from home. A *few* glitches, but not many.

I've got my mask, I go to the Grocery Store, and my wife and I go walking in the forested parks around here.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

NARAHT: That's me. Working from home, getting my walks in, grocery store and maybe a take out meal every now and then. That's it.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to be positively feral by the time this thing is over.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I thankfully am able to work from home, my husband after a couple of days of his work being closed they were given guidance they are considered essential and he went back to work.

I've been working from home daily since mid-March, I try to really limit my outings to the store so I try and go once a week or maybe once every two weeks. I have a dog so that forces me to get out and take a walk although I have a cloth mask that I've started to wear for walks around the neighborhood. My only other weekly outing is to see my dad, I put on an old N-95 mask I had already from doing house stuff before I go into his house since he's at higher risk. And wore my N-95 at the grocery store the other day as well. Although even how I shop in the store has changed since before all of this I loved to meander through the aisles and look now I'm pretty strategic of what I am there for to get myself in/out as quickly as possible.

It does worry me that my husband is having to go in to work, thankfully work has been slower so his public exposure has been less. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I was concerned.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

My husband and I are walking the dogs and gardening a lot. The three youngest sons are home from college.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband has a good job in IT with an essential company (HVAC contractor) so thank God his job is safe and pays well. He is working from home.

My 25 year old, thriving small business as a pet sitter is gone. Completely dead. I lost thousands of dollars in bookings. The whole pet sitting industry has been decimated.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm enjoying quarantine. If there wasn't a terrible disease doing this I'd be in heaven.

I already worked from home and only went out for errands in the morning.

I'm getting so much done. More work done, more crafting, more reading, more cooking and baking, much more exercise, catching up on TV I recorded, completing all sorts of things I said I'd get to and didn't around the house - it's insane how productive I've been.

And it's not like I couldn't have done it before, because I could have. I just didn't. So that's interesting to me.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Cornell Law's been in online classes for a week and a half now and they're mostly going fine. Thankfully all of our grades are pass/fail now so I don't have to worry about competing against my classmates on the curve, which is much more fair because everyone's living situation and ability to cope with the pandemic vary greatly. I've basically been walking my dog, occasionally going for a run when it's nice enough and buying groceries as needed. I started a gigantic cross-stitch project as a gift to my best friend who's graduating from law school this spring and I didn't think I'd get it done in time, but now that his commencement is cancelled and classes are online I probably will have it done by late May.

My dad's an ER doctor and worked a couple weeks at a hospital in Tampa and is currently at Mt Sinai in NYC through this weekend. After that he's going to a hotel room back in RI to quarantine so he doesn't potentially get my family sick. I'm worried he doesn't have enough PPE and I desperately hope he does
Old 04-08-2020, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an essential worker who must go in. I am semi-retired so I still have 20 hours per week in the office.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
My husband has a good job in IT with an essential company (HVAC contractor) so thank God his job is safe and pays well. He is working from home.

My 25 year old, thriving small business as a pet sitter is gone. Completely dead. I lost thousands of dollars in bookings. The whole pet sitting industry has been decimated.
Can you apply for relief through your bank? We have been steering our small business customers to our CARES website to get the process started.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Essential worker: Health care, mid-management. Gotta go to the Medical Center, assign the pool of employees to other areas of the hospital, if needed.

Employees are COVID-19 screened prior entering the hospital and are given a mask. I feel safe. NO VISITORS ALLOWED.

I am 90% sure I had it already in February, once antibody testing is available at my institution, I will be asked to be tested...

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 04-08-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-08-2020, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an essential worker (Fire Captain); so, of course, I still go to work. We get a health screening before each shift. Firefighters are used to dealing with unexpected and "chaotic" situations. So, it's business as usual. [shrug]

At home, however, I've made the adjustments of not going places like I normally would. I'm not afraid of going outside or anything like that. If I do go out, I just do my part by wearing a mask, etc.

True and Constant
Old 04-08-2020, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m an essential worker (drug and alcohol rehab), so I’m still working...as long as people keep coming to rehab, that is. I’m in NJ, so I’m staying in as much as possible unless it’s work. I have like five lifetimes’ worth of groceries in here right now...
Old 04-09-2020, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

I am teaching from home.