GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,204
0 members and 2,204 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2004, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

AI Episode IV: A New Hope

When I last told my story in any detail, I was in the pit of AI failure. (Check the "Fat Lady Sang" thread in the forum.) Just like when you break up w/ a long-time boyfriend, you think you'll never fall in love again.
With the encouragement of all of the posts after my story (and the people who made them ) I slowly, carefully started to put some new feelers out and began meeting people from other orgs again. Expectations were zero - that way you can't be disappointed. And this new chapter had an "older and wiser" feel about it.

With eyes WIDE open, I suddenly received a PM from out of the blue in January. It said:

Quote:
Adrienne,

Hi, I have been following your greek chat saga with interest.

My AIM screen name is the same as my GC name.
I would love to chat with you online about my org.
If you are interested, I think you might find your GLO home with us.
Now if this were the beginning of my journey, I'd be bouncing off every wall in the place. But you know the saying, once bitten, twice shy.
"Nyah..... riiiiight. Sure. Uh-huh. I've heard this before....."

But an engraved invitation like that is too good to pass up!

My new GC friend and I spent several afternoons chatting via AIM and eventually, by phone. A new avenue, that I didn't even know was open was starting to look very attractive. My new friend used her online connections to link me up with a few local alumnae. It turns out there are TWO chapters of this org in Houston and strong alumnae support. Several phonecalls were exchanged w/ local alumnae. One of the chapters was
holding a car wash as a fundraiser - so I dropped by, and checked them out. Great girls, definitely not cookie-cutter stereotypes of NPC sorority women, and were serious about working hard for their org.
(Plus, they made my car look great. )

Soon enough, it was time for Founders' Day - and a chance to meet the collegians and other alumnae over lunch. My new local alumna friend picked me up and our mouths didn't stop talking all the way to the function. I was introduced to all as a "rushee" for alumna initiation and EVERY alumna there was happy to hear of an AI pursuit. "We hope you'll join us." Wow......
If this wasn't enough, I was asked to take part in the Founders' Day Ceremony, and was presented with one of the sorority's flowers. It was like I would get to take a piece of the org home with me that afternoon.
I took my alumna friend aside quietly and told her that I think this
is the place I'd like to be. (If you read my earlier stories, you can
imagine how scary this was!)

Sponsorship and paperwork were underway. And everything was going GREAT.

UNTIL.........

Mr. A comes home with news I didn't think I would have to hear. After a close-call with a company in Chicago and his recent illness, things were not back to normal. Atlanta HQ had called him for a conference. Minute Maid was downsizing even further so that operations would be consolidated on North Avenue. Out of Mr. A's entire department, HE was the only one Atlanta wanted. It was either move to Atlanta, or move to the unemployment line. There was no longer a choice.

This was scary on several levels. I had never lived in the Southeast before, and even though I do not like the idea of regional stereotypes, it was hard to shake the image of Atlanta being closed to Yankee outsiders and tradition is thicker than blood. I didn't think I had a snowball's chance in hell of
seeing my GLO home. I got on the phone to my GC friend, barely a step away from bawling my eyes out.

Her answer: "Atlanta? Great! I know more people there!"

Now I WAS bawling - from relief!!

Big Coke arranged househunting trips for me w/ Mr. A, with him stopping into his new office on occasion. The GC network cranked up again, and while I was staying in a Dunwoody hotel, another alumna contacted me, and invited me to a chapter meeting that week. Deja vu all over again - a wonderful group of women who were happy to learn of an AI pursuit in their org. Two different cities, two different alumna chapters, two different contacts, with the same positive result. The No. Fulton alumna chapter wanted to sponsor me. It must be kismet! There were several college chapters in the region, so my GC sponsor told me to research them and choose where I wanted to affiliate. I chose Georgia Tech: like me, these are all women in science and I
felt I could relate to that chapter better for that reason.

There was plenty to keep busy with over the next few months. In June we moved into our new home - a virtual Victorian dollhouse on a street full of the same. ( )
Running the house and my business are full-time; I retired from medical research when I left M. D. Anderson. It seemed like an eternity before the schools got back in session so the collegiate chapter could weigh in.

Late in August, my paperwork was signed and ready to go. Everyone is assuming that we have a done deal - both collegiate and alumna chapters are in agreement to sponsor me as an AI.
I visited the house (right after recruitment ended) with my Atlanta sponsor to meet the girls and the Alumna Coordinator. We were greeted at the door by the chapter prez and formally introduced.

"So, would you like to stay for the new member class?"

Like I would have to be asked twice!

The president and new member educator announced to the class of 36 girls that a candidate for alumna initiation would be joining them through their process. They asked me to stand and say a few words about my process. I told a little schpiel about why I was pursuing membership as an alumna - and included the usual details the girls do with icebreakers (where I went to school, what my major was, etc.) There was no big overwhelming reaction: no gasps, no screams, no whispers, or even any derisive or confused looks. Just a quiet, natural acceptance.

Naturally, not everything about the new member education process will apply to me, but I was told over and over again, I was welcome to be a part of it if I wished. My paperwork was dropped off that evening w/ the Alumna Coordinator for a final vote by the national council. In the back of my mind I knew that there was still some behind-the-scenes process to happen before the bid came, but everyone at all levels of the org was convinced that it was OK and there would be no "NO" vote. Especially since sponsorship was signed, sealed, and delivered.

This past weekend, the national council met and voted. I spoke with the Nat'l VP of Alumnae via phone (during Hurricane Ivan, while my power was knocked out) who got a bit more information from me before her meeting. She asked me to hold off on the new member class while the procedure took its course but her exact words were: "I think you'll be an excellent addition to the fraternity."

And today the call came from my original GC sponsor. The vote was YES! I'm officially a new member! The hard-copy bid is coming any time now!

The best part of all: initiation day is October 30 - my 36th birthday and will take place at the historic birthplace of the fraternity.

"It's been a long road, getting from there to here....."

Well, I think I've chewed your ears (eyes?) long enough. I won't schpiel any more unless you REALLY want to hear it.

Last edited by adduncan; 09-21-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

YIPPIE!!!!!

Do you want to tell who the lucky sorority is?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I have an idea of which one but....
We do have ways to make you talk!

I am grinning like a fool while reading your post!

I used this for smiley21, now I will use this Japanese proverb for you:

Fall down 7 times, stand up 8!
Old 09-21-2004, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I shouldn't mention that I know who it is
Old 09-21-2004, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

(pssst.....this is the part where you guess. There are clues all over GC!)
Old 09-21-2004, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

It's obviously either Phi Mu or ADPi.

Based on the fact that your signature is pink and you refer to it as a fraternity, I'm going with Phi Mu.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:55 PM

I had guessed Phi Mu too! The GA thang gave it away!

Can I tell the Fat Lady to bellow her fool head off? I am tired of telling that beeotch to shut the hell up!

(I'm warming up!)
Old 09-21-2004, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, we have a consensus.

It's official.....

I'm a proud provisional (alumna) member of::::::::

PHI MU

{{{{{Big hugs to everyone on GC who followed this and either posted or sent messages w/ support}}}}}
You guys all made a big difference in this process

Adrienne
(signature changes on the way)

Last edited by adduncan; 09-21-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Gotta just LOVE my Little Sis!!!!

I can't wait for October 30!!! I have my plane ticket!!! Whoo Hooo!

Last edited by sageofages; 09-21-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:58 PM

I just yelled WOO HOO! Now I guess I can bellow!

Congrats Congrats Congrats!
Pink Carnations and baby lions coming your way!
Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
Gotta just LOVE my Little Sis!!!!

I can't wait for October 30!!!
And my big sis/AI sponsor outs herself.

(Gang, one of the hints was on the Phi Mu recruitment results board - Theta Zeta chapter)

--add
Old 09-21-2004, 03:03 PM

I vote for the big time PIMPED OUT, BLINGED OUT badge

I was trying to find badge variations on Phi Mu's website
Old 09-21-2004, 03:04 PM

Dammit! I haven't read that!
SageofAges, you are da bomb!
(time to change my location...check it out adrienne)

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan
And my big sis/AI sponsor outs herself.

(Gang, one of the hints was on the Phi Mu recruitment results board - Theta Zeta chapter)

--add
Old 09-21-2004, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats! I know a lot of Phi Mus, and they're all fabulous You have joined a wonderful sisterhood
Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
Dammit! I haven't read that!
SageofAges, you are da bomb!
(time to change my location...check it out adrienne)
Well I couldn't let Gamma Phi Beta and Alpha Phi get ALL the good ones!!! hehehe

Last edited by sageofages; 09-21-2004 at 03:53 PM.