GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,462
4 members and 2,458 guests
Cookiez17, Kevin, naraht, VadaF19787

Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking About Joining a Frat at Alabama

I am a senior in High School and I got accepted recently to Alabama. I was thinking about joining a Fraternity there. My goal is to join a white fraternity as a Black male, what are my chances and what do i need to do to accomplish this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

1) Get into the habit of calling it a fraternity and not "frat."

2) Just call them IFC fraternities, not "white fraternities."

3) Most importantly (to me) -- why is joining a "white fraternity" in particular a goal of yours? It just seems odd -- not because you're black, but because it sounds like you're one of those annoying black guys who voted for Hillary Clinton just to be different. And if you want to be in a "white fraternity" just to be different, I think fraternity men at Alabama will see through that and not be impressed.

However, if you're the type of guy they would ordinarily be around, then I don't see why you'd have any more of a problem than anyone else. (Based on what the IFC types have said on GC before)

I want to add that even though I am a Brother of the first and largest of the existing black frats, I don't care too much what other black folks decide to pledge as long as they're happy.

Last edited by Senusret I; 09-30-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
but because it sounds like you're one of those annoying black guys who voted for John McCain just to be different.
FYP.

I know a good bit about Alabama...and I mean, I'm pretty sure that it just depends on what your sights are set on.

Do you want Old Row? Probably not going to happen.

However, there's alot of great houses out there that aren't on the Old Row.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what FYP means, but Black men vote for John McCain because they believe in him, are conservative and/or republican, Christian right, etc. I don't care about those guys any more than I care about black guys that pledge IFC fraternities. Chances are they wouldn't have anything in common with me in the first place.

Black men voted for Hillary Clinton because they wanted attention.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

fyp=fixed your post.

and i agree.

OP, good luck.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
1) Get into the habit of calling it a fraternity and not "frat."

2) Just call them IFC fraternities, not "white fraternities."

3) Most importantly (to me) -- why is joining a "white fraternity" in particular a goal of yours? It just seems odd -- not because you're black, but because it sounds like you're one of those annoying black guys who voted for Hillary Clinton just to be different. And if you want to be in a "white fraternity" just to be different, I think fraternity men at Alabama will see through that and not be impressed.
Your third response makes me laugh. Just because I want to join a white fraternity you label me as a "black guys who voted for Hillary Clinton just to be different."? You dont know me or my political views so dont be so stupid. I want to join a white (IFC) Fraternity because thats the lifestyle I am accustom to...not because I want to be "different"(which was never said through my mouth).

Also, what is old row.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxel View Post
Your third response makes me laugh. Just because I want to join a white fraternity you label me as a "black guys who voted for Hillary Clinton just to be different."? You dont know me or my political views so dont be so stupid. I want to join a white (IFC) Fraternity because thats the lifestyle I am accustom to...not because I want to be "different"(which was never said through my mouth).
I didn't label you anything.

You labeled YOURSELF a black guy who wants to join a white fraternity.

When you LABEL YOURSELF, it brings more attention upon you than when you just ARE YOURSELF.

Good luck on your senior year and you're welcome for the rest of the advice.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, there are black men in 'Bama IFC fraternities.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
]I didn't label you anything.
"you're one of those annoying black guys who voted for Hillary Clinton just to be different."

thats labeling

me wanting to join a "IFC" Fraternity isnt

Quote:
When you LABEL YOURSELF, it brings more attention upon you than when you just ARE YOURSELF.
make sense....

and dont contradict yourself.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Also, what is old row.
Calm down.

It looks like you took the wrong message from Sen's post. It's one thing to join a non-BGLO because you believe in the goals and mesh with the chapter (hell, that's the route I took). When all you seem to be interested in is the racial composition of the organization, though, it looks kind of suspect.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Um i believe this is labeling

When did i say i was labeling myself as "black guy who wants to join a white fraternity"
Quote:
I am a senior in High School and I got accepted recently to Alabama. I was thinking about joining a Fraternity there. My goal is to join a white fraternity as a Black male, what are my chances and what do i need to do to accomplish this?
QFP

Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"you're one of those annoying black guys who voted for Hillary Clinton just to be different."

thats labeling

me wanting to join a "IFC" Fraternity isnt

make sense....

and dont contradict yourself.
I hope you're this sensitive when you're rushing your white fraternity of choice as a black male.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, what is old row.
The old fraternity row. It's the oldest (and best) houses at UA.

DKE, SAE, KA are the really really good houses at UA. EN and PhiGam are both really good too. I may be forgetting someone, but I think that's the top 5ish.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Calm down.

It looks like you took the wrong message from Sen's post. It's one thing to join a non-BGLO because you believe in the goals and mesh with the chapter (hell, that's the route I took). When all you seem to be interested in is the racial composition of the organization, though, it looks kind of suspect.
Well...I am interested in racial compostion because, like i explained before, grew up having MOSTLY white friends which has to do with meshing well with a chapter. Goals of that chapter will come into view as i get to know them. If I didn't mention i was black i would of gotten different responses and wouldn't be in this discussion.

am I wrong?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hope you're this sensitive when you're rushing your white fraternity of choice as a black male.
Stop talking.

Your stupidity annoys me.

Originally Posted by Axxel
Um i believe this is labeling

When did i say i was labeling myself as "black guy who wants to join a white fraternity"

this was deleted...error but nice try though

Last edited by Axxel; 09-30-2008 at 09:37 PM.