GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,511
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, zannapetrov2388
» Online Users: 1,966
5 members and 1,961 guests
PrettyBoy, SquirrelyDays, Tridentia

Old 10-16-2003, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana
Actually most is accurate and not anti-Lutheran. He did in fact want to throw out the majority of the old and new testaments books for various reasons but his followers were rather appalled by this. I can find you the exact information if you would like, but it will take me a few days to find the exact source again.
If you have time I would like to see it; it sounds rather different from what I have read before. PM me if you want to so we don't fill up anymore space here.

Quote:
With regards to faith alone, I probably have not studied it as much as I could have at this point in time and am basing my information off my experiences with a few protestant denominations and being told that I JUST need to accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and I'm saved (nothing about God's grace, mercy, actually leading a good life, etc).
A bit of an oversimplification, but not an uncommon oversimplification. Sola Fide has to be understood in the context of the Reformation era and as a response to the "popular" idea of the time that one could "earn" (or even "buy") one's way into heaven by one's good deeds and good life. Sola Fide (which is always linked to Sola Gratia -- "grace alone") maintains that it is faith alone, not works, that brings salvation. That is, that salvation is a gift (through grace) that cannot be earned but rather is accepted through faith. But (and it is a crucial but), a saving faith, if you will, is always connected to works -- faith that does not result in good works/living a good life is not a real, "saving" faith. We can discuss that more by PM if you want to. Thus endeth the lesson for today.

Cheers!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa--
Y'all need to chill out. BobraFCD didn't bash Catholics and she didn't raise the issue. Several other people earlier asked "why is it that some people don't think Catholics are Christian." B explained why some people think this way and where she got her information from. From what I read, this was a research project. She also said that she didn't have an opinion one way or the other and that no church is perfect. And no one told her to take it to a PM--she offered. Read it again.

Now--back to the subject: I don't think the Christian Orgs at my campus object to Greek Life so to speak, just some of the rowdy parties and drinking. I know that it isn't just Greeks who drink, but we're the ones with the reputation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Txsurfinwaves
Aren't you, though,and maybe not intentionally, but in some way, attacking Catholics?

You say you talk to priests and look up all this research on the Catholic Church. How did this turn into a thread about the Catholic Church when it started out about Christian orgs? It started because you made a personal attack on all the Catholics in here and on pretty much everyone- just like dani said- id be mad if it was any religion.

Also, 20 bucks says you looked up titles of books and put them as your "sources".

You also say all these things in your life need your attention. Then why do you keep coming back? We told you earlier to take it to the PM.

Also, the bible can be interpreted into so many different ways- its very broad and thats why we have so many religons. You need to learn to respect others and keep this thread on topic. You might have tried to defend my religion, but you came off as very Anti-Catholic towards the end.

sorry if this was rude to anyone. Its early, i have a poli sci test, and ive been reading this thread and getting pissed off. not good for a cuban at 7 15 in the morning.

Last edited by AOIIGal; 10-16-2003 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Banned

I wanted to quote Tom Earp for all of you.

-----------------------------------------------------
The HIGH POCROSY of I am Jewish ( Orthadox, Non Orthodox), The Christian, Roman, Anglecan, Luthern, The Islamic, Shiite, or what ever is getting a little thin!

Other Than I am better than thou SUCKS!

Hell, last I heard, you die, dead.!!!!!

I will come back as a danilion! Willow of the whisp!

No, An Ant, so when the GC Gathersings are going on, I can be there to ant them! Get lots of travel miles but not by Delta!
------------------------------------------------------

-Rudey
--If I had to read his crap, then so will you.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moe.ron
CTFreakU @ this pic!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
This is friggin hilarious!

Funny that kitten has similiar markings to one of my cats!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:04 PM

OK here's my two cents! I think I can speak for most of us when I say we want all organizations to respect one another. That's a given. Now, when we start attacking religious organizations, then, we are lowering ourselves to the level of those who attack us.

Sometimes, yes, people screw up. That's human nature. That's life. Move on. No one here on this earth is perfect. I don't care who you are, there's no way you are perfect. So, let's not attack one another's beliefs because you wouldn't want someone doing that to you. Let's play nice and by the golden rule of treating each other as we'd want to be treated.

This thread has gone way off the original topic. Please let's get back to the actual topic. If you want to discuss, not attack, each other's religious beliefs, let's make a new thread for that.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Constantine

Constantine was a Roman Emporer who one day decided to worship Christ the same way he worshiped other Dieties. Given that Rome took over both Greece and Egypt, it is quite posible that he worshiped Ra. Ra was the Sun God of Egypt and Apollo the sun god of Rome (and Greece but in Greek more of prophecy enlightenment, and delivery from evil). A common practice in those days was to identify forgeign Gods and Goddesses with local one. I.e. Ra=Apollo, Thoth=Hermes(Mercury), Isis=Hera (Juno), etc.

Although, here is some news for you. Christianity is based on the resurection. A God was living, then he died, then was resurceted. This was a rip off of the myths of Dionysus, which in turn was a rip off (for lack of a better word) of the Abydos Ritual where Osris was brough back from the dead by Isis.

Constantine actully wanted Christ to be worshiped along with the Pagan Gods but the Christians were all like "no, our God is the only god ever" and they wouldn't play nice with others.

And you know what, if I was Constantine, I'd throw you all to the Lions.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Wait, I already called Emporer. Yeah, that John Chick or whatever would defintly been thrown to the lions. I don't tolerate intolerant people. Its a paradox. Study it well, find the truth.