GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,672
2 members and 1,670 guests
LaneSig

Old 02-22-2016, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta deactivated at Michigan

Wow. No matter what happened I feel sorry for the girls. The current freshman now have no place to live next year.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Theta is the oldest chapter at Michigan. What happened?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Wow. Theta is the oldest chapter at Michigan. What happened?
Was wondering the same. I'm a Theta legacy and have a lot of friends who are Eta chapter alumnae. This is a really big deal. Makes me very sad.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...-kicked-campus

Kappa Alpha Theta kicked off campus
Alyssa Brandon
Daily News Editor
Monday, February 22, 2016 - 8:39pm
More like this

A letter obtained by The Michigan Daily from Theta’s national president Laura Doerre to chapter members states the decision was made in a unanimous vote by the fraternity’s grand council on Sunday.

In the letter, Doerre said the decision to disband the chapter came after several suspensions and disciplinary action from both the University and the national chapter, including a recent suspension effective during the spring semester. The letter didn't specify what events prompted the disciplinary actions or suspensions.

Doerre also wrote that the fraternity recently violated University sanctions that were administered during the Spring semester.

“On February 10, Vice-President Mandy Wushinske and I visited campus and met with members of your cabinet and university administrators including the dean of students,” Doerre wrote. “At that time it was clearly stated that all members and new members of Eta Chapter were to adhere to all sanctions from the university and the Fraternity. It is disappointing that the chapter violated both the university and fraternity sanctions last week.”

Theta is not the first Greek life organization to face disbandment. Sigma Alpha Mu was disbanded by its national chapter after acrueing more than $250,000 in damgages during a January 2015 ski trip to Treetops Resort.

Members of Theta were not immediately available for comment regarding their disbandment or University sanctions.

University spokesperson Rick Fitzegerald said the decision was from the organization's national office.

"My understanding is that this was a decision of the sorority's national office," he said.

According to the letter, all chapter members in Kappa Alpha Theta residing in the fraternity house will be required to vacate the area by no later than April 28.

This is a developing story. Stay with The Michigan Daily for updates.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 02-22-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the official statement from Kappa Alpha Theta headquarters, regarding the disestablishment of the Eta Chapter.

Eta Chapter Disestablished

Posted On: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:00 AM
On February 21, Grand Council of Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity voted unanimously to close the Eta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta at the University of Michigan. Despite ongoing support and education provided to the chapter by Fraternity officers and staff, recent chapter activities constituted serious violations of Fraternity policies and were contrary to the Fraternity's basic principles. In January, the university suspended the chapter for the Spring 2016 semester.

While Theta's presence at the University of Michigan has ended for the foreseeable future, the Fraternity values Eta Chapter's 137-year history and the many fine members who continue to be an asset to the Fraternity. Distinguished past chapter members include a Theta Foundation president and a Fraternity vice-president.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like the University and the National Sorority were more or less on the same page.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am constantly amazed that collegian chapters like this continue their behavior/"traditions" despite major sanctions from their national organizations. I hate to see any chapter closed...sad when it is for membership reasons (usually a chapter that has struggled for years) but really sad when it is for violating Fraternity policies.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
I am constantly amazed that collegian chapters like this continue their behavior/"traditions" despite major sanctions from their national organizations. I hate to see any chapter closed...sad when it is for membership reasons (usually a chapter that has struggled for years) but really sad when it is for violating Fraternity policies.
And even sadder when it's a chapter with such a long history. It sounds like the collegians were given multiple chances to clean up their act and chose not to do so. I can't even imagine how many alumnae there are out there who are extremely upset and heartbroken.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-24-2016, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder what will happen to their house?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
And even sadder when it's a chapter with such a long history. It sounds like the collegians were given multiple chances to clean up their act and chose not to do so. I can't even imagine how many alumnae there are out there who are extremely upset and heartbroken.
There are MANY alumnae out there who are very upset. I was friends with many women in this chapter during school and they had no idea this was going on these days. This chapter has traditionally been a very strong and sought after chapter at Michigan, and I am still stunned that its charter has been revoked. This was definitely not going on while we were there, but it's been a long time and the membership has changed. It makes me really angry because there are so many young woman at Michigan who would have loved to have been in Theta, or in a sorority in general, and these young women did not appear to have appreciated their wonderful opportunity.

As for the chapter house, I believe that there are 2 more sororities expanding on campus in the coming years, as well as one sorority that is always looking for housing. Perhaps one of those sororities will be able to use it. Theta put a lot of work into getting historical recognition for the house and it would be a shame to put all that work to waste.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I wonder what will happen to their house?

My uneducated guess is that the chapter has/had some sort of housing corp through their Alumnae chapter?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure Theta's housing corporation will hold onto the house if they have any plans for a future recolonization -- and with the chapter's storied history, I assume they will return when the time is right. They've had it for so long, with strong numbers for so long, that it was likely paid off long ago. With a couple upcoming colonies, there could be potential for renting, if they choose. The other groups that have recently closed and recolonized at Michigan (us, Zeta, AEPhi, have all held onto their houses during the years they were away, remodeled, and moved back in).
Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Word is that most of the freshman girls will try to rush AEPHI immediately. AEPHI is way under quota and has been looking to rebuild. The question will be if they want to suddenly become a much more social sorority. Being in AEPHI would take the pressure off one thing which some believe was at a least a piece of their downfall. They won't have to worry about being too Jewish or hiding their Jewishness online. ( the girls actually were unofficially warned about this and were careful about that online activity unlike their other actually unsavory activity which they were stupid enough to post )
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Where were the advisers?? This is always my question. Who was minding the store?
Old 02-24-2016, 11:27 PM

Unless they live on campus/in the house, they can't watch the women 24/7...& probably not even then.