GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 942
0 members and 942 guests
No Members online

Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
This isn't true at all. Please stop speaking for other groups when you haven't a clue.

Some chapters of sororities make it a policy to not affiliate transfer students due to their individual situations at their specific campuses.
Don't tell me I don't have a clue - I wouldn't have said SOME groups do not allow it if I didn't have an example in mind.

I also never said I spoke for AZD - this could be also read by both later transfers and may apply differently at a small school than a big one
The advice to ASK somebody in charge was good.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer - but some groups do not allow transfer students to affliate with a colony or new chapter. I guess they dont want someone to pledge at one school expecting to transfer to a bigger school?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Don't tell me I don't have a clue - I wouldn't have said SOME groups do not allow it if I didn't have an example in mind.

I also never said I spoke for AZD - this could be also read by both later transfers and may apply differently at a small school than a big one
The advice to ASK somebody in charge was good.
Oh wise one, please do enlighten us with the information on which NPC groups do not allow transfer students to affiliate with a colony or new chapter.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

And if I may, if you're going to speak about my sorority, please use the correct letters. It's A Xi D or Alpha Xi or Alpha Xi Delta. There is no z within any of the 3 Greek letters.

It's a huge peeve of mine.

And back to the discussion at hand, the OP isn't sure she's transferring yet (as she said) and it doesn't sound like she's leaving under any sort of negative cloud that would interfere with her being welcomed with open arms. Although it MAY be true that she couldn't/shouldn't affiliate until after the colony turns into a chapter, she has been given the correct contact information to make sure she has her information from the source. And she's not transferring FOR the colony, it's just a nice bonus to her education. Hopefully she will let us all know what happens when the rubber hits the road.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 PM

OMGWTFBBQ. It's not even a frigging colony yet let alone a chapter. This is NOTHING like "ABC doesn't allow you to pledge at crappy chapter Podunk U and then transfer to super popular chapter at SEC U." THAT is what those kinds of rules are for.

I think all the "you're going to be president because you're already a sister!" jazz is ridiculous. It could be that the Greek system AS A WHOLE at the new school (if in fact she does transfer) is LIGHT YEARS away from her old school, and she has no desire to be part of it - even as an Alpha Xi Delta. It could be that she doesn't get along with the colony members that are chosen. It could be that the expenses will be a lot more than what she is currently paying/able to pay. Or it could be that she reconsiders and doesn't transfer at all.

This isn't just putting the cart before the horse, this is the horse's parents haven't even had sex to conceive the horse yet.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

OP here- ideally, I would like to help out if they needed help with anything (and I've seen that colonies are a lotttt of work, so I would anticipate that I could do some things to lighten the load) and get to know the colony women, but after watching a friend serve as a colony president I don't think I'd be comfortable holding such pivotal positions as colony e-board. Additionally, I may be cutting it too close to the transfer deadline for fall so I maybe pushing back when I transfer, so that changes some things.

Last edited by justgo_withit; 05-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl, as always, you kill me. Thankfully in this case, the only person here that matters knows all this. But it is unfortunate that bad, confusing, unnecessarily negative information gets kept here for the ages. As far as helping answer the original question, it was answered with "you need to contact the ELC in charge of the expansion team." Everything else is either a thread stray (nothing wrong with that) or just kind of harsh. Maybe some NPC sororities are really restrictive about what their membership can do, but in the case of Alpha Xi Delta (and we are virtually unrepresented in the SEC) I'd say we are quite free and easy. The advice I would give is make sure you talk to an alumna, either your chapter adviser or someone at FHQ, not for approval, but to make sure you do everything right.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
I like it in theory, but sometimes in practice things can end up messy and tear a chapter apart.

I'm not talking about the superficial situations where "Nancy Nu is way too fat and ugly to be one of us." More of the situations where Sally Sigma had to leave her previous school primarily because of behavioral and reputation issues and continues right down that path at the new school.
If this is the case, though, her first chapter should be dealing with her behavior, and if she is suspended (or even expelled) from her chapter, she is not in good standing.

Let's be honest, there is hardly ever a good reason not to let someone affiliate.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Let's be honest, there is hardly ever a good reason not to let someone affiliate.
I think that's highly subjective depending on whether your experience is with a chapter in its final death throes or one that is extremely competitive and selective.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
I think that's highly subjective depending on whether your experience is with a chapter in its final death throes or one that is extremely competitive and selective.
I'm just curious why?
Because an affiliation of a sister in good standing doesn't seem like a problem to me. She's an initiated sister and is there really a difference between initiated sisters from different chapters? Because this makes it sound like sisters from "chapters in its final death throes" are somehow not good enough for the "extremely competitive chapter".
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
I'm just curious why?
Because an affiliation of a sister in good standing doesn't seem like a problem to me. She's an initiated sister and is there really a difference between initiated sisters from different chapters? Because this makes it sound like sisters from "chapters in its final death throes" are somehow not good enough for the "extremely competitive chapter".
Yes, there can be a HUGE difference between initiated sisters from different chapters. There are some chapters I would have never had a prayer of getting into, some chapters I would have fit right into, and some chapters I would not have wanted to be part of if I was paid (and yeah, that includes some "extremely competitive" chapters). That doesn't make them evil betrayers of sisterhood. As I touched on, sometimes the Greek system AS A WHOLE is so different from school to school you just wouldn't feel comfortable. I would never want to be in a huge SEC chapter, period, and most of the Greek alums from my school (regardless of chapter) feel the same way.

I mean, we pick women ultimately based on whether they fit into the chapter in some intangible way. Let's not pretend that just because you go through a ritual or two, that all gets swept under a rug and "OMG! You're my sister!! Love!!" Should women be given every chance and a bit of time to meet and try to fit in with the chapter, as AnchorAlumna said? Yes. Should BOTH sides realize that it may not work? Yes.

And that "death throes" comment was a little ridiculous. If anything, those chapters should be just as careful, if not more, about letting anyone affiliate.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, there can be a HUGE difference between initiated sisters from different chapters. There are some chapters I would have never had a prayer of getting into, some chapters I would have fit right into, and some chapters I would not have wanted to be part of if I was paid (and yeah, that includes some "extremely competitive" chapters). That doesn't make them evil betrayers of sisterhood. As I touched on, sometimes the Greek system AS A WHOLE is so different from school to school you just wouldn't feel comfortable. I would never want to be in a huge SEC chapter, period, and most of the Greek alums from my school (regardless of chapter) feel the same way.

I mean, we pick women ultimately based on whether they fit into the chapter in some intangible way. Let's not pretend that just because you go through a ritual or two, that all gets swept under a rug and "OMG! You're my sister!! Love!!" Should women be given every chance and a bit of time to meet and try to fit in with the chapter, as AnchorAlumna said? Yes. Should BOTH sides realize that it may not work? Yes.

And that "death throes" comment was a little ridiculous. If anything, those chapters should be just as careful, if not more, about letting anyone affiliate.
Thanks for the explanation, I've only experienced/seen Greek life at a school where it's very laid-back and these SEC/huge Greek system schools remain somewhat of an mystery.