GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,224
0 members and 1,224 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Local trying to go National

Our campus greek officials are forcing our sorority to either go national or die out. Our first option was have the other sororities on campus vote us on...which takes every sorority to say yes and there is a lot of sorority rivalry here...so not everyone said yes. Another sorority on our campus did the same thing, but they applied as a fraternity and they are its sister chapter...does anybody know how we can do that??? OR does any have any other ideas!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 AM

Clarify with your school what they want. Do they want you to affiliate with an existing NPC sorority? Any already established national group? Or, do they want your local sorority to become a national group?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Well they basically said do whatever you can.
We presentated to panhellic twice, and we were turned down by a vote from the local sororities.
So we have the option of a Kappa Delta Phi style affiliated fraternity which already exists here.
We could become a club, which isnt an option---we're a sorority!
Other than that...we arent sure what to do...which is why I am here for your help
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaKappa View Post
We presentated to panhellic twice, and we were turned down by a vote from the local sororities.
So we have the option of a Kappa Delta Phi style affiliated fraternity which already exists here.
Other than that...we arent sure what to do...which is why I am here for your help
is your campus an all local or all national campus? i've heard of the process in which the existing groups at a university has to vote on the entrance of a new group, but i am under the impression that it applies to all existing organizations, not just locals. and in your're situation if you aren't allowed to be a local why are there locals voting?? perhaps you meant national? in either case, my advice would be to have a detailed talk with your greek affairs advisor, he or she knows all the rules about what you can and can not do as a local organization. as far going national... every council has different rules, my group is attempting to go national because many members who attend my university are not allowed to form a local group. we are now an independent sorority. unaffiliated with any university for the time being until our second chapter becomes affiliated with their school.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

there really is no easy way to become national. it is a long process that takes many years. your best bet would be to continue looking for a national group that already exists and continue to apply for entrance into your school's council. You must know that being in a sorority is a lot of work, espcially if you are trying to colonize an existing organization. so make sure you definitely have the time and energy to devote to this organization.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Our campus greek officials are forcing our sorority to either go national or die out.
Your best bet is to research national organizations heavily, find one that seems to fit your local organization's culture and personality, and approach them about affiliating. It's highly unlikely an NPC sorority will work out for you, unless your local Panhellenic organization has decided they need to expand... and that doesn't sound like the situation you are describing. But you still have a lot of options on the national scene --- multicultural sororities, service sororities, Christian sororities, and social sororities that aren't members of NPC --- so don't give up!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Same Struggle!

Dear Theta Kappa,

We are going through the same thing! Two nights ago our administration informed us that they were inviting NPC to join our Greek Community. As a result, Gamma Chi Sorority (because we are local) will no longer be a recognized organization on campus as of 2009.

Our only option is to become national by taking on another national sororitie's letters, or not be Greek at all.

Can we be an affiliate group of NPC? Do they have to strip us of our letters? What other options do we have?

Please help! I will let you know if I learn anything new! Thank you.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC@EC View Post
Dear Theta Kappa,

We are going through the same thing! Two nights ago our administration informed us that they were inviting NPC to join our Greek Community. As a result, Gamma Chi Sorority (because we are local) will no longer be a recognized organization on campus as of 2009.

Our only option is to become national by taking on another national sororitie's letters, or not be Greek at all.

Can we be an affiliate group of NPC? Do they have to strip us of our letters? What other options do we have?

While I am not intimately familiar with the NPCs rules, I do know that no new organizations have joined since the 1950s (or maybe it's 1960s) and when you affiliate with one of their organizations, you take their letters. Under no circumstances could you keep your locals' letters.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC@EC View Post
Dear Theta Kappa,

I don't get it...are you saying all the sororities are local and are now going to be NPC? If this is the case, everyone on campus is in the same boat.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Unfortunately, Gamma Chi cannot join the National Panhellenic Conference in any capacity as a single chapter.

Is the university telling your chapter to affiliate with an NPC or are they inviting an NPC to campus regardless? If it is the former, find out how much “say” your chapter gets in “who” is picked.

Your only option at this point seems to be research the NPC groups not on your campus.
http://npcwomen.org/undergrads/membe...nizations.aspx Hopefully, you will be able to find a member organization that aligns closely with your sorority’s ideals. You also want to consult your chapter’s alumnae to let them know what is happening.

All of the NPC members have experience in absorbing local sororities so they understand what you are going through. AOII absorbed a Columbus State local sorority last fall and they will be installed as an AOII chapter this weekend. There is also a thread on this board regarding Alpha Chi Omega absorbing a local at Carnegie Mellon. It is a very interesting read.

Through the link that I posted, there is a tab called “Extension Information.” Click on that tab to find out more about the official process.

Best of luck!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't get it...are you saying all the sororities are local and are now going to be NPC?
Doesn't look like. Based on the campus website, there are currently 5 sororties -- 2 NPC orgs, one NPHC org, one NALFO org and GC@EC's local.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Doesn't look like. Based on the campus website, there are currently 5 sororties -- 2 NPC orgs, one NPHC org, one NALFO org and GC@EC's local.
So funny! I thought Gamma Chi sounded familiar. I grew up three towns away from Elmhurst. My mom assisted withe the chartering of the Alpha Phi chapter, and I know two current members. I worked for a competing school as an admission counselor, and I know three current staff members at Elmhurst.

It is a small world some days!

Last edited by ValpoKD; 04-16-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: I just remembered someone else I know...
Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am fairly certain that Kappa Delta Phi Fraternity is the only NIC (IFC) member that has a national affiliated sorority - i.e. KDFNAS. So something similar does not seem to be an option.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all your help. I wish there was a better solution.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I can't believe another Gamma Chi made an account here. I made mine about 1000 years ago when I was helping with recruitment last year. We're so uncreative with our usernames! Haha. The situation sucks sweetheart. Regardless of the letters, we're still sisters. But yeah, our school is turning our Greek system completely upside down. It's horrible.