GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,644
1 members and 1,643 guests
zashlytopo8836

Old 05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
Richmond women suspended for hair styles

HI everyone...tried to search and see if this had popped up anywhere else, and couldnt find it.

this is a link to my local newspaper in Richmond VA. these two women (one i actually know) were suspended and/or fired over braided and locked hairstyles. those in charge considered their hairstyles to be "extreme" and unfortunately gave them hard decisions to make.

since some of us are in professional environments (i.e offices, etc.) do you agree with these hair styles being "extreme"? what about tattoos or piercings?

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search...5-25-0162.html

this should be a very interesting discussion...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-31-2007, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

If there is nothing in the policies and procedures forbidding these hairstyles, there should be no problem.

If it is up to the supervisor's discretion, it should be made clear that these hairstyles provide some CLEAR threat to safety or the overall work environment.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 PM

Based on what can be seen in the picture included in the link it does not appear extreme at all! I hope they win big!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sbx_six_eye
This story is truly interesting...I wouldn't consider the hairstyles to be extreme, but if it was in the policy it should have been enforced from day one. Then again, I know many women (here in GA) who work as correctional officers and they wear braids, twists, etc. Is this something that varies from state to state?

"Sisterhood Through Motherhood"
Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 AM
GC Member

hey six...
ive never lived anywhere but here so i couldnt tell you! it just seems to me that if the one woman with locks worked IN THE WHITE HOUSE with locks, of allll the places it could be a "security risk", i would think that would be it!

i personally from time to time put braids in my hair. i always work with the public and never once have been told they were extreme. i could see if i got green or blue up in the braids, or some wacky-azz hair design with it, because that is a bit much. but just plain cornrows? i am all up in a law firm getting my case heard!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This is total bull!!! If they were late to work everyday, if her hair were fire engine red, if she had gold teeth, or killed somebody, but braids!?!?!!? YOu have got to be kidding me! Can you say to hell in a handbasket! The day your hair trumps your performance is a cold day in hell.....well I am so I don't know what else to say...@#$%@$!#@
Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
GC Member

thank you 1908, thats all im saying!

i could see if she was a hoodrat. i could see if she was a discipline problem. im pretty sure someone not black had something to do with it. we would all be too scared to approach her about it! "you tell her she cant wear her braids anymore...she's not gonna cuss ME out!"
Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

So . . . I wouldn't be allowed to wear my hair in a French braid??? What about a chignon? A French twist?
This is ridiculous.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Those hairdos are not extreme--I can't see anything problematic or "distracting" about them.

It'd be interesting to see if they'd fly in my workplace, though. There are lots of busy-body ladies in there who make it their life's work to get in other peoples' business, and this is the reason one of my friends who also works there has to dress like she lives on the North Pole even in summer in order to cover up her tattoos. Apparently, people complained when they could see them peeking out from underneath her clothing (she has quite a few tattoos), so she can't wear skirts or short sleeves. I could maaaaaybe see the need to cover them up if we worked with the public just for professional appearance's sake, but we don't interact with anyone who isn't employed there. Evidently it's just too much for some people to catch a glimpse of inked skin, but nobody seems to have a problem with major cleavage being flaunted and too-tight clothes that show things that are better left covered. I bet if someone came in there with braided hair, someone would say something.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot see anything inappropriate to either of those ladies' hairstyles. They both look neat and well-put together.

Now, I hate the play the race card, but could this be discrimination? I know that people of different races can have different textures of hair - coarse and dry, thick and pin straight, naturally curly, etc., and sometimes there is not a whole lot that you can do with it. I am white, btw.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think either of these are extreme. In fact I would think braids would be perfect for a correctional facility. It keeps the hair close to the head so that any disorderly inmates cannot grab on to your hair and pull you down.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
GC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
So . . . I wouldn't be allowed to wear my hair in a French braid??? What about a chignon? A French twist?
This is ridiculous.
yup, im sure somewhere a French twist is considered "extreme" and against a dress code! lmao!

the only place i would allow to tell me how to wear my hair is the military. case closed. that way you know it isnt a race/sex/status thing. everybody has to follow those rules.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I don't see a problem with the hairstyles. I don't know why anyone would consider them extreme. I can sort of understand, considering their occpuation, how long hair might be a problem, and if they were told to wear long hair pull back in some way, but I don't see how braids or dreadlocks are hazardous.

As for tattoos...I have 5 tattoos. 4 of them are not visible unloess I'm waling around in my underwear, the 5th is on the inside of my ankle. I work in a law office, and while there is not policy (or none that has ever been shared with me) about visible tattoos, I do ocer mine up in the summer if I am wearing capris or skirts, just because I know some people will not find visible tattoos, and it's a lot easier to take 5 minutes in the morning to put some makeup on it, then have to deal with my bossess if they have a problem with it.

But if there is no policy regarding hair/tattoos/dress code, then their should be no problem here. And I hope if these women were treated unjustly that they fight and I hope they win.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

It's pretty sad that these women are basically being asked to assimilate to mainstream culture. Everyone does not want to wear their hair straight and flowing. I proudly wear my hair curly everyday in a head band or pulled up. People need to educate themselves on different hair types. As the article mentioned, people of African diaspora have been wearing braids forever and this is nothing new!

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatingblue View Post
It's pretty sad that these women are basically being asked to assimilate to mainstream culture. Everyone does not want to wear their hair straight and flowing. I proudly wear my hair curly everyday in a head band or pulled up. People need to educate themselves on different hair types. As the article mentioned, people of African diaspora have been wearing braids forever and this is nothing new!
Yes, people of the African diaspora have been wearing their hair in brands forever.

Not to be confused with braids, twists, and dreds being the only unstraightened hair options.

My only issue is with this hair regulation not being documented so these women could know beforehand. I've seen establishments ban cornrows and not get any complaint from the blacks who worked there because these blacks thought cornrows created a certain image, anyway. I've also seen predominantly white establishments ban whites from wearing braided, dred locked, spiked, and dyed hairstyles. If the policy applies to all, it applies to all and that's fine with me.