GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,461
0 members and 2,461 guests
No Members online

Old 02-18-2004, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

what is the proper way to resign from a job?

delete

Last edited by Amalia17; 10-03-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-18-2004, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I would write a letter to the owners/managers of the restaurant, as a formal two weeks notice. They'll appreciate the advance notice. I had to do this at a restaurant I worked in also, and made a point to mention that I was grateful for the skills I'd learned (hospitality, etc.) while employed with their company, and offered to train whoever would replace me at the job. I also explained my reasons for leaving (Not making enough money to support yourself is a VERY good reason for needing to find a new job) but left it saying that I hoped in the future they would welcome me back if situations were to change. I can't think of why they would have any negative feelings about it, and it should leave you a great window to come back, if their business picks up.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

delete

Last edited by Amalia17; 10-03-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it an alternative to just wait until one of the other people quits so that you can pick up more shifts. Maybe the owner should be looking into getting a liquor license if he doesn't already have one. As a manager of a small business, I value the rapport and feedback I get from my employees!!! Maybe you could just sit down and have a very non-confrontational conversation about what's going on. Perhaps taking a leave of absence would be good for the owner as well. I'm sure if you are cash starved, so is he. If you take a hiatus unti business picks back up you may be helping him out as well.

I'm sure that doesn't help too much.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

delete

Last edited by Amalia17; 10-03-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM

Well, you have to make up your own mind whether to stick it out or quit and go elsewhere. Business might pick up; then again, it might not.

If you do decide to quit, the professional thing to do is to give two weeks' written notice. Thank him for the opportunity, say it was a positive experience and a pleasure, but the time has come to move on.

Having worked for a small family-owned company, I will tell you that an owner will always favor his/her own family members over non-family employees. So it doesn't surprise me that the owner gave the shifts to his daughter.

Is it legal for him to give away beer if he doesn't have a liquor license? Even though he's not charging for it?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

All you can do is give them notice and move on. The notice will be appreciated. Maybe there is someone out there who could use a few hours of work instead of a full schedule. Maybe you even know someone? My daughter just went through something like this. She opted for more hours at a different job. She did bring in a few friends to see if they would gel with the setup.