GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,361
3 members and 1,358 guests
flamboyanttree, JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin

Old 12-23-2017, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Dog question

If anyone here is knowledgeable about dogs, I would like some information. A friend of Mine went into the hospital last week on Tuesday. It was unexpected, and he didn't have time to make arrangements for the care of his two dogs- a six year old male pit Bull and a six year old female golden lab mix. He asked me to go to the store and buy a package of kielbasa and bread, tear it up into pieces and feed the dogs over the fence. I did this two nights, and then decided that since we didn't know when he would get out, I switched to feeding the dogs their usual food, but still not going into the backyard with the dogs. Both dogs were good eaters, finished all of their food every night, danced and played with me.

My friend got out of the hospital on Saturday, and resumed feeding them himself. They ate good for three nights. Then, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the pit wasn't interested In his food, tucked his tail under, and moped around. On Thursday morning, my friend found the dog lying in the yard dead.

He now claims that I killed his dog, accusing me of not tearing the kielbasa up into small enough chunks, which he says caused the food to stick in the dog intestines and kill him.

But this theory doesn't make sense to me. However, I'm not that knowledgeable of dogs. Is there anyone on here who can explain this to me? Is it possible that I killed his dog?

Last edited by tcsparky; 12-23-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Need to wear my glasses when typing
Old 12-23-2017, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

His accusation is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Frankly feeding a dog kielbasa, which is extremely high in fat. could have caused him to develop pancreatitis and that could have killed him. If you did exactly what the owner requested then it sounds like this is his own fault to me.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I have heard of several people being accused of this kind of thing and have had that happen to me. My brother-in-law used to be married to a real unusual type and she had an ancient dog. He died one afternoon and she deduced that since I was the last one to see him alive, I must have killed him.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:16 PM

I live in a city where babies get a kielbasa instead of a pacifier, and this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I just feel hurt that he is so callously accusing me. His text today was-

You know what you did. You gave him sausage that you hadn't crushed up small enough, and it got stuck in his intestines. He died trying to poop, and it's your fault. I do not wish to speak with you about this.

I have a biology degree. Granted, I'm not a doctor, but sausage is GROUND UP meat. His digestive system would have broken it down long before the day the dog died. I liked the dog. He was very sweet. I feel bad for my friend. But I don't think that anything I did killed the dog. He was eating normally for several days after I stopped feeding him, My friend told me that everyone he has spoken to about this agrees that I killed the dog. I know that he has spoken to his parents and his best friend. They are not exactly impartial.

It is driving me crazy that he is throwing these accusations out as if they are fact. So, you guys have given me the impartial opinions I hoped for. I, too, think this sounds stupid, and realize that he is in pain and wants to blame someone. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I really hope that you can just try to focus on the fact that he is in pain & unfairly lashing out at you. I run a Labrador rescue and am the medical director for my group. I am not a vet, but have been in rescue for 25+ years. That sausage did NOT block the dog's intestinal tract. Not possible. It breaks down very quickly in the stomach.

The dog was outside unsupervised. God only know what he could have gotten into... maybe he was barking & someone threw poisoned meat over the fence. He could have eaten a rodent that ingested rat poison.

Besides, HE has been feeding the dogs for what... 5 days?? How the hell was this possibly your fault? He knows that it wasn't your fault... he just has to find someone other than himself to blame to try to ignore the guilt he feels.

WAIT A MINUTE.... his dog was sick and not eating for 2 or 3 days and he didn't bother to take the dog to the vet? He should feel guilty!

Last edited by thetalady; 12-24-2017 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Add a thought
Old 12-24-2017, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^THIS x1000. It’s an unfortunate situation but you don’t have anything to feel guilty about.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Did he take the dog to a veterinarian for a necroscopy? Probably not, because he didn't take the dog to a veterinarian while he was alive, to seek a diagnosis and treatment.

You could consult a veterinarian and an attorney, if you're worried about him taking legal action. It doesn't sound like he has a leg to stand on.

And/or, call his bluff and tell him you're going to report him to Animal Control for improper care of his dogs. Sausage and bread? Leaving them outside all the time, even when one is obviously sick? Not seeking veterinary care? Some people should not own pets. This makes me sad.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

It's much more likely that the fat in the kielbasa brought on pancreatitis. High fat foods are bad for dogs, and pancreatitis can kill rather quickly. I'm very sad for the dog-- and that you are going through this.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder why he asked you to feed the dogs kielbasa and bread instead of just feeding them dog food.

True and Constant
Old 12-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
And/or, call his bluff and tell him you're going to report him to Animal Control for improper care of his dogs. Sausage and bread? Leaving them outside all the time, even when one is obviously sick? Not seeking veterinary care? Some people should not own pets. This makes me sad.
That just sounds like a pissing match no one will win. When someone takes such a strong position, you're not going to persuade them with facts. The friendship is likely over because of this guy's mistake--and it sounds like OP is better off without this person in her life.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-25-2017, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Totally agree. I'm actually more concerned about the remaining dog. The friendship is definitely kaput.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The friendship is likely over because of this guy's mistake--and it sounds like OP is better off without this person in her life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
^^^ Totally agree. I'm actually more concerned about the remaining dog. The friendship is definitely kaput.
A thousand times, yes.

My first thought was the old adage, "no good deed goes unpunished." God bless you for even stepping up to take care of his dogs in the first place - it would seem that he certainly didn't.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
]it sounds like OP is better off without this person in her life.
+1 +1 +1 +1

Sorry you're going through this. Let this person go.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your support. You're right- he didn't take the dog to the vet when he first noticed it not eating, and he didn't get a necropsy done. He's in bits over the dog.

He is rather toxic, which is why he asked me to feed the dogs while he was in hospital- there literally was no one else he could turn to to do it. He suggested the kielbasa and bread because it would be something I could pick up on the way to his house and feed to the dogs over the fence. I just felt so bad for them that I went to the store and bought their regular food to give them after the first two nights.

I know he is struggling with his own mortality- he almost died, which is why he was in ICU. And now, without health insurance, he is faced with a 30,000 hospital bill. He also likely feels guilty for not taking the dog to the vet. But that doesn't excuse him being so nasty to me over this. He's someone I typically avoid when possible, so I'll just make a point to avoid him even more so now.

He is able to make someone feel like they are stupid for not seeing things from his point of view. You guys have reassured me that I NOT responsible here. Thanks.