GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Beta Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,387
0 members and 1,387 guests
No Members online

Old 07-24-2000, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Did Phi Beta Sigma help establish Sigma Lambda Beta?

Hey... what's up people, this is Everyman here. Hey... I heard the other day from a latino greek that PBS had established SLB and are a cousin organization. Is this true?

Peace,
Everyman... #3...Founding Bruh of BKK in Florida...

"OooooooohhhhhhNoooooooo" in the 2 triple 0oooohhhhh

[This message has been edited by EVERYMAN (edited July 24, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2000, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Everyman,

I wanted to respond to your question but I'm afraid I might not be able to offer much insight. I am a Neo myself in the Land of Blue and White. None of my Chapter Brothers have ever mentioned to me nor have I read that Phi Beta Sigma had anything to do with the creation of Sigma Lambda Beta.

My Brothers and Sisters of the Dove, please offer your insight into this matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by EVERYMAN:
Hey... what's up people, this is Everyman here. Hey... I heard the other day from a latino greek that PBS had established SLB and are a cousin organization. Is this true?

Peace,
Everyman... #3...Founding Bruh of BKK in Florida...

"OooooooohhhhhhNoooooooo" in the 2 triple 0oooohhhhh

[This message has been edited by EVERYMAN (edited July 24, 2000).]
Old 07-26-2000, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Officially Phi Beta Sigma and Sigma Lambda Beta are NOT related. It is my understanding that one of the members of PBS was one of the Founders of SBL and natually some of the traditions may be similar to those found in Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.

Any official relationship, would have to be approved by the governing body of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and would be posted on the National site www.PBS1914.org

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas_Dove:
Everyman,

I wanted to respond to your question but I'm afraid I might not be able to offer much insight. I am a Neo myself in the Land of Blue and White. None of my Chapter Brothers have ever mentioned to me nor have I read that Phi Beta Sigma had anything to do with the creation of Sigma Lambda Beta.

My Brothers and Sisters of the Dove, please offer your insight into this matter.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, Im a Beta from Arizona, hopefully I can help explain a bit,

One of our founders, Baltazar Medzona Madrigal, is a Sigma from California. He went to Iowa to continue his education, and saw that there was absolutely nothing for Latinos on that campus, and that many had issues trying to get by. He got permission from Phi Beta Sigma to found a Latino based organization, and met together with 17 other men and founded Sigma Lambda Beta.

PBS as an organization had nothing to do with the founding of SLB, but one individual Sigma, who is also now a Lambda Beta, was the spark that got SLB lit.

Today there is no formal or recognized relationship between the Sigmas and Betas, but on certain campuses everything is real cool. Go research on FIRM.

Some campuses apparently go on line together, which I personally dont agree with, and I know the local Gammas and Zeta here go on line together, but thats a whole different story.

In AZ well recognize eachother as family, well grip and stroll together, but that is the extent. Some campuses or chapters deny everything all together, some act as if were cousins.

Whatever fits the situation works fine with whatever campus, but officially there is nothing between our orgs.
Captain of Cerberus
Fall 06
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Excellent response. Just FYI - make sure you check the post dates. This thread is about 8 years old.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCRATES 1 View Post
He got permission from Phi Beta Sigma to found a Latino based organization, and met together with 17 other men and founded Sigma Lambda Beta.
Help me understand.

Do you really mean that Sigma agreed not to expel or otherwise penalize him for being a member of two general fraternities?

I think your post is altogether wonderful and explains a lot, but at the same time people could interpret the part I quoted as *still* meaning that the Sigmas founded the Lambda Betas, when in fact it's more a case of one Sigma getting special permission to also be in another social (Title IX exempt) fraternity.

That was the longest sentence ever, sorry.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Help me understand.

Do you really mean that Sigma agreed not to expel or otherwise penalize him for being a member of two general fraternities?

I think your post is altogether wonderful and explains a lot, but at the same time people could interpret the part I quoted as *still* meaning that the Sigmas founded the Lambda Betas, when in fact it's more a case of one Sigma getting special permission to also be in another social (Title IX exempt) fraternity.

Baltazar specifically sought out the national governing body for Phi Beta Sigma and asked for permission. I'm sure that if this permission wasn not granted and anything that he was hoping to accomplish would be at the risk of deletterization <--(if thats even a word lol) then our organization of Sigma Lambda Beta would not be in existence.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Help me understand.

Your penalty is to diagram the sentence.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XODUS1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by an-Noor27 View Post
Baltazar specifically sought out the national governing body for Phi Beta Sigma and asked for permission. I'm sure that if this permission wasn not granted and anything that he was hoping to accomplish would be at the risk of deletterization <--(if thats even a word lol) then our organization of Sigma Lambda Beta would not be in existence.
Probably, the best worded explantion of this that I have heard yet. Baltazar is a proud member of both orgs, and is reconized by the Men of the Blue & White. Specifically, because he asked for PBS's blessings first.

The 'cousins' thing is quite unofficial, however, and doesn't get much play outside of Florida.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

In the early spring semester of 1986 at the University of Iowa, Baltazar Mendoza-Madrigal a member of Phi Beta Sigma, wanted to further expand the possibility of a Latino based organization with multicultural membership that would grow just as notable. The purpose of creating such an organization came from the social and cultural dynamics at the time. Minorities on campus were under represented and lacked interaction amongst each other. Thus, Mendoza along with seventeen other men began to explore the idea of establishing a Latino-based fraternity in order to unify all under represented minorities and to promote cultural understanding along with academic excellence.
The men met officially on March 7, 1986 with some of the Latino students at the University of Iowa
On April 4, 1986, the members finalized the philosophy of the organization and the eighteen men who came to study in the US from Latin America, Africa & Asia became the eighteen Founding Fathers of Sigma Lambda Beta. They were inducted as brothers at the university's Danforth Chapel with the following principles in mind: brotherhood, scholarship, community service and cultural awareness.
The Founding Fathers were:
  • Baltazar Mendoza-Madrigal
  • Mario Buendia
  • Enrique Carbajal
  • Thomas Carrasquillo
  • Manuel Chavarria
  • Jose Fong
  • Rudolfo Garza
  • Luis Jimenez
  • Luis Marquez
  • Eric Montes
  • Kuy Ou
  • Olakunle Oyeyemi
  • Jaime Ramirez
  • Olivero Rivera
  • Juan Jose Rojas Cardona
  • Eugenio Soria
  • Juan Valdez
  • Ricardo Zamudio

I N T E L L I G E N T
M E N
Old 10-18-2009, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I N T E L L I G E N T
M E N
Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I N T E L L I G E N T
M E N
Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation no, but...

i don't believe we established it; however, it is said that we granted a Sigma Bruh permission to do so --- which is how the affiliation of respect for one another had began.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Tumbao
Quote:
Originally Posted by XODUS1914 View Post

The 'cousins' thing is quite unofficial, however, and doesn't get much play outside of Florida.

Not true, the FIRM fam is in FULL effect in east district SLB and central region SLG, in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois ect we Grip, Stroll, Step, and even go on line with one another (at some chapters) The idea that FIRM fam is not respected on other yards besides florida, has to do with that fact that betas and gammas aren't on as many yards as PBS & ZPhiB so obviously there would be no FIRM there. Pretty much every school that has an SLB & SLG chapter, there is an active FIRM, Florida & Tx are simply the extremes... where Betas & Sigmas, Gammas and Zetas are almost identical.

oh and...
LB86 to My Beta Padrino "Taita", my Gamma Mom "Fiera", My Sigma Pers "Rude Awakening" & My Zeta perZ "White Mystique"

Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc.
[/FONT]
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Why is this a constant argument? mis- communication? discrepancy.. however you would like to put it. it is not an official bond,it is not constitutional, therefore not nationally known, but a bond out of respect for one another. Whether we choose to embrace this or not, is up to the individual. SLG and SLB have an unspoken respect and thus call each other brother and sister,(although even this idea is not nationally embraced) although not constitutionally bound like PBS and ZPB. Likewise, is this "firm fam." Let us all go forth to embrace each other as individuals and to better our communities.