GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,357
1 members and 2,356 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Highschool Speaking Events

I was wondering if anyones IFC or PanHel does a Highschool program, where you go into highschools and talk about greek life, we are thinking about starting that here, just wondering if anyone had any contacts for me to talk to about the program.

Thanks

Andy
Sigma Tau Gamma - Alpha Theta
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-12-2003, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was teaching high school in Miami, a group from Florida International Univ. (many were my former students!) came to talk to the seniors about Greek Life. This was at least 6-7 years ago, I'm not sure if they still do it.

http://www.fiu.edu
Old 12-12-2003, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Sig Ep uses a Balanced Man Scholarship offer to target graduating seniors . . .

Get some of the top seniors coming to your school to apply for the scholarship and get to know the guys . . .
Old 12-15-2003, 03:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Johnnybsigtau Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnybsigtau
Highschool Programs

We are thinking of trying out this highschool program as well, I am wondering if I posted a thread in the general forum, if we would get more responses? Anyways, if anyone has did this please post back.

Thanks
Johnny B
IFC President
Pittsburg State University
Old 12-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic will be hosting a Sorority 411 event this spring, targeting area women graduating in 2004. This is the first year we've attempted this kind of event. We are using space on campus and the entire event will go for about 90 minutes. It will include:

Information about Panhellenic
Recruitment info (how it works, key terms, etc.)
Recruitment fashion show (representative outfits, provided by local dept. store)
Q&A with FSU Panhellenic Officers
Handouts (NPC brochures, our local PH brochure, alcohol awareness/risk management CD-ROM)

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Question for PenguinTrax and anyone else who's done this before:

HSU is a smaller school (4,000 students max) with 3 sororities currently. Would it help us or hurt us to team up with the people who do Panhellenic presentations for the U of AR or Arkansas State (both way over 10,000 students and large, somewhat frilly Greek systems)? The past few recruitments at HSU have seen only 40 PMNs come through. I didn't know if teaming up with the bigger groups would make more girls interested in HSU's greek system (and hopefully getting it to grow) or make us look like fools.

By the way, HSU does not share any NPC groups with the U of A and I'm 99% sure we don't share any NPC groups with ASU.

PsychTau
Old 12-15-2003, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Has this ever been done ?

So I am kinda wondering if this is a program that has not been done before in the highschool setting. I am looking for anyone that has done this within a highschool were you have talked about greek stereotypes or how to get involved on a college campus. If anyone has done this event in a highschool and can please let me know ASAP that would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
Sigma Tau Gamma - Alpha Theta
VP of Finance
Eastern Michigan University
IFC - VP for Recruitment
Old 12-15-2003, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

ABergman,
I've definitely heard about it being done...I just don't have any first hand experience with it.

I would check with the Greek systems in Alabama and Mississippi and Georgia to start with....I can guarantee you that the sororities do something there!! (elsewhere too, I'm sure, but those are the first that come to mind). IFC may not do this as much, considering some schools allow summer rush and would pull in the recent HS graduates (especially if they were looking for something to do over the summer).

Good Luck. I think it's a great idea, and wish it were practiced more often!

PsychTau
Old 12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
PsychTau,

I can only imagine that getting on board with other PHC presentations in your area would only help you. The other thing that might help is getting mailings out to the incoming freshman along with orientation materials. Is your Recruitment before or after school starts?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:49 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Kentucky Panhellenic does it in the spring. Girls from various sororities go to different high schools in the region (since UK as a state university naturally draws heavily from high schools in the state). The high schools have assemblies, where they gather together all the senior girls (and maybe the juniors, too?) and the women from UK do a little presentation on rush, sorority life, etc -- basically just a "Go Greek" thing. They hand out the rush signup booklets. I think that's about it, but I never did it so I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure if IFC also does it or no.
If you're thinking about starting such a program, are you at a state school? I have a feeling that going into local high schools will only be really effective if your university draws a large part of their new students each year from the local high schools.
Otherwise, something else they do at UK is Summer Advising Conferences. That's where all the soon-to-be freshmen have to come to campus, get shown around, get registered for their classes, and everything. During the conferences, all the girls have a chance to go to a Panhellenic info session, and all the guys can go to the IFC session. If your school has any kind of general university info sessions in the summer like this, definitely take advantage of it by having Panhel/IFC info sessions then, too!
Old 12-18-2003, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Txsurfinwaves
I know here in Houston we have an Alumnae Panhellenic group...one that has been around for quite awhile. It targets Houston area seniors and gives out flyers to all of the schools. Its two sessions..the first one basically being told about greek life, a kind of go greek thing. You have to give your transcripts and pictures and resumes to alumnae so that you have at least one recommendation going into rush (and in Texas, this is very important). Most of the state schools are represented, as are some of the big out-of-state schools. At the second session, you get to sit down with a person from your individual school and they tell you how greek life is. They tell you what to wear, what kind of stuff to ask...its basically a question and answer thing, and you meet the different girls who are rushing at your school. They are supposed to act like a Rho Gamma ( not tell you your affiliation), but the girl that I talked to from UNT I found out later was on the Pi Phi AAC(Alumnae Advisory Committee) at my chapter. =)