GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,278
0 members and 1,278 guests
No Members online

Old 06-11-2004, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Can anyone give me a link to a list of quotes from the books? I get so lost on those sites, mainly because I don't have a lot of time to look thru everything. But if there is a page with quote on it, can you let me know? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
The quote in my sig came from mugglenet.com
Old 06-11-2004, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone figured out the riddles on jkrowling.com? If so, care to share?
Old 06-11-2004, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBADPi
I cant find the link but over the weekend there was an article on yahoo about how J K Rowling had said there is a good chance Harry might die by the end of the series. She said something about how the only way she sees Valdenmort dying is if Harry dies. She also mentioned how she knew this would upset a lot of fans and that it wasnt a definite thing. Wish I could find that link...
Any statement that "nothing is definite yet" doesn't sound very credible. JK Rowling has made it very clear (1) that she plotted out all 7 books before she started writing the first one, and (2) that she wrote the last chapter a long time ago. In an interview on Biography last week, she showed the notebook containing that chapter and said that knowing that she has the ending done helps her keep going with the writing. She has known all along exactly how it will all end, and she isn't telling. (The last chapter is kept locked up very securely.)

She did say in the interview that the last chapter will wrap up the story and let us know what happens with all of the character -- "at least those that survive. There will be more deaths."

My predictions:

-- Ron and Hermione will end up together and Hermione will go to the Ministry of Magic, perhaps as an Auror. Ron may follow his father (who I think could be killed) in the misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office.

-- Dumbledore will die; this will be tied up somehow in the death of you-know-who. I wonder if Hagrid may die as well.

-- Harry will join the faculty of Hogwarts, becoming the first Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher to last more than one year.

-- As someone said, Snape is a good guy, but is bitter. Some resolution will have to come of that.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81

-- Harry will join the faculty of Hogwarts, becoming the first Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher to last more than one year.
I have always thought that could be probable. And we all know how Snape would feel about that. (Unless their relationship changes dramatically.)

-or for another stretch-

Harry becomes headmaster... (yeah that's a long shot, but you never know...)
Old 06-11-2004, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam
Has anyone figured out the riddles on jkrowling.com? If so, care to share?
I know how to answer the riddles or get the "easter eggs" as they call it... I'm going to enter down a bit in case someone wants to figure it out for themselves

---On the mainpage, use the cellphone to dial in "MAGIC" alphanumerically as you would on a phone pad. Press send. You'll get the first easter egg.
--Go to "Extra Stuff". Use the eraser to reveal the message on the white piece of paper. It shows you four objects to find around the site. Click on all of them and you get the second easter egg.
--Go to "Fan Sites". On the shelf, there are two medals with question marks on them. Place them in their cases, and you get the third easter egg.
--Go to "Links". Push the book with the question mark on it to the left and there is a key behind it. Use the key to unlock the box on the table. It will give a clicky bubble--the fourth and as yet final easter egg on the page.

Currently, there is nothing behind the mysterious door and no way to get behind it. Someone hacked the site and found an empty room with a book with some practice text on it. Nothing cool as yet. And you can no longer hack the site!
Old 06-11-2004, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81
Any statement that "nothing is definite yet" doesn't sound very credible. JK Rowling has made it very clear (1) that she plotted out all 7 books before she started writing the first one, and (2) that she wrote the last chapter a long time ago. In an interview on Biography last week, she showed the notebook containing that chapter and said that knowing that she has the ending done helps her keep going with the writing. She has known all along exactly how it will all end, and she isn't telling. (The last chapter is kept locked up very securely.)
Yes, but this doesn't mean she doesn't edit as she go. She changed the entire course of GoF midway through writing it. I think that she has general things planned, and some specific "this is how it ends" stuff ready--but I'm sure (like any good writer), she's going to edit some plot threads along the way.

Do you have a link to a transcript of that Biography interview??
Old 06-11-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
I've seen that interview several times before.
It's not recent at all.

I do think she's probably edited a few things while writing the last books.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
I've seen that interview several times before.
It's not recent at all.
Yes, the most recent thing I could find was an article in October 2003's Biography magazine about Rowling.

MysticCat, I've heard the whole "final chapter is already written" a kajillion times, and I've never seen proof of it. She did flash a notebook showing her original plans for all the Hogwarts students, but despite multiple fans searching the net for the "last chapter" reference, no one has ever been able to provide a link to that interview, though some swear they saw it. It's supposed to have appeared sometime in 2000, but the evidence hasn't been provided. It's kind of an urban legend. I know that she did appear in a Biography channel interview, but it's an older one. Did she flash the chapter in it? I'm really fascinated about this because it's kind of a holy grail of Potterdom.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen the Biography interview with her and I do distinctly remember her holding up an envelope that I think contained the final chapter and her saying she used to keep it in her home but friends and family were so nosey and were always snooping for it, that she keeps it in another location now.
But, it could have possibly been just an outline for the final chapter.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by breathesgelatin
Yes, but this doesn't mean she doesn't edit as she go. She changed the entire course of GoF midway through writing it. I think that she has general things planned, and some specific "this is how it ends" stuff ready--but I'm sure (like any good writer), she's going to edit some plot threads along the way.
I'm sure you right. As she writes, I'm sure she finds that things she thought would work in fact don't, and she has to rethink things. I'd be amazed if that didn't happen.

But I'm doubting that her edits of plot threads would include the ultimate fate of the title character, especially given her care in laying things out and foreshadowing all of the really major events far in advance. In think she knows the destination she is heading to, she made herself a map of how to get there before she started, and as she goes she finds adjustments that she needs or wants to make in her map. But the destination is, I bet, the same. Every interview with her that I have heard or read indicates that she has no doubt how it will all end.

Quote:
Do you have a link to a transcript of that Biography interview??
'fraid not. I just looked at the A&E site, but didn't find much there either.

Quote:
MysticCat, I've heard the whole "final chapter is already written" a kajillion times, and I've never seen proof of it. She did flash a notebook showing her original plans for all the Hogwarts students, but despite multiple fans searching the net for the "last chapter" reference, no one has ever been able to provide a link to that interview, though some swear they saw it. It's supposed to have appeared sometime in 2000, but the evidence hasn't been provided. It's kind of an urban legend. I know that she did appear in a Biography channel interview, but it's an older one. Did she flash the chapter in it? I'm really fascinated about this because it's kind of a holy grail of Potterdom.
Too true. Best I can tell you is that in the interview I saw on A&E (which may indeed have been an old one) she pulled out a manila envelope, took a worn pale green spiral bound notebook from it and identified it as containing "the final chapter of the last book, which wraps up all of the loose ends and tells what happens to the characters -- those that survive, at least. Not everyone will survive." (Fairly accurate quote, I think.) She did definately say "final chapter."

Sorry I can't help more on the grail search.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
I've seen the Biography interview with her and I do distinctly remember her holding up an envelope that I think contained the final chapter and her saying she used to keep it in her home but friends and family were so nosey and were always snooping for it, that she keeps it in another location now.
But, it could have possibly been just an outline for the final chapter.
Oh, interesting. I've heard so many conflicting things on this, it's crazy. I want to see this interview!
Old 06-11-2004, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll bet the interview referred to in this BBC (not a disreputable news source) news item is the same interview.

Potter's Final Chapter Written

It does include this quote: "This really wrap everything, it's the epilogue and I basically say what happens to everyone after they leave school, those who survive - because there are deaths, more deaths coming." That is the quote I was trying to remember and get right earlier.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

So in my complete and utter boredom I have been reading various websites and theories about Harry Potter.

There is one called The Changeling Hypothesis.

I haven't got all the way through it yet, but I don't think JKR is going to have something so complex in her book. She started writing these for children and if things get too complex in her books younger children just won't understand them.
The Changeling Hypothesis is so complex and over the top I have to say...ummm, no, never going to happen.

Last edited by Lady Pi Phi; 06-17-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't remember which thread this was mentioned in because there have been a few already. BUT I got copies of Harry Schoolbooks (the Quidditch thru the ages and Fantastic Beasts...) on half.com the other day. Real cheap too. So if any of you are looking, try ebay and half.com. It is coming in the box set. Apparently Amazon has them for like $10 too. Just in case anyone was looking.

Quote:
So in my complete and utter boredom I have been reading various websites and theories about Harry Potter.

There is one called The Changeling Hypothesis.

I haven't got all the way through it yet, but I don't think JKR is going to have something so complex in her book. She started writing these for children and if things get too complex in her books younger children just won't understand them.
The Changeling Hypothesis is so complex and over the top I have to say...ummm, no, never going to happen.
Does it take a really long time to load???? It keeps freezing my browser...

ETA: nevermind... it's IE on a Mac... Blah!

ETAA: Ok I just finished the Changeling... and I gotta say I have gone cross-eyed. It's so far fetched that it just might work. But yes Emily, I agree that I think a lot of young readers will be beyond lost it J.K suddenly went into the whole "Harry Potter is really Tom Riddle's soul... blah blah" story. Hell, it got me confused. Too much going back and forth.

And the whole story of Tom confuses me. I am re-reading GOF and you know how it goes into that whole story of the Riddle's in the beginning? It said that THREE people were killed that night. Tom's dad, Tom's mom, and Tom himself. However if Voldemort IS Tom... did he essentially kill himself? I guess that's where the whole "Voldemort is a spirit looking for a body" theory from the Changeling makes more sense. And so whatever soul inhabited Tom somehow got mixed up with Harry and yadda yadda yadda... oy... confused. Anyone care to shed light? I guess I need to re-read COS, but even then, the whole Tom/Voldy relationship still didn't clear up much.

Last edited by chideltjen; 06-17-2004 at 03:22 PM.