GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,324
3 members and 1,321 guests
Titchou

Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face How does recruitment/rushing work for a new sorority?

The school I'm attending in the fall is getting a new chapter of Sigma Kappa and I'm just curious as to how rush would work with a brand new chapter. Considering the fact that there are no former members, how do they choose who will be president, etc? If you get a bid do you not get a big since there's no previous members?
Just curious :3
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween4Ever View Post
The school I'm attending in the fall is getting a new chapter of Sigma Kappa and I'm just curious as to how rush would work with a brand new chapter. Considering the fact that there are no former members, how do they choose who will be president, etc? If you get a bid do you not get a big since there's no previous members?
Just curious :3
It's called a colonization and you can find many threads here about them. Basically, the school will have formal recruitment as usual with the new group having some sort of open house the first day with women from the national organization. They will then wait till after formal recruitment and have their own individual recruitment which you would have to sign up for. Your school's Greek Life office can tell you how to sign up, when, etc. As for electing officers, they do it like any other chapter. They usually wait 2-3 weeks so the new members can get to know each other and then have elections.

As for big sisters, there are many ways to do that. Have alumnae do it. Have a chapter nearby do it. Or have the new members matched up as "twins" or some other name. The colonization team can tell you how they plan to do that when you meet with them. That's a valid question for them.