GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,384
0 members and 1,384 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Yes and no. Like many things, it can be turned into a hazing tool. So, we simply can't allow it in case someone gets the 'wrong idea'.
I'm sorry, but that's about the lamest thing I've heard in a long time. Why even have the pins if they're not allowed to wear them.

I could make an argument that forbidding NMs from wearing the pins is hazing. It would be a pretty stupid argument, but not nearly as stupid as the idea that you can't let them wear the pins because someone might think there was hazing going on.

Waiter, can we please get a reality check over here?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm sorry, but that's about the lamest thing I've heard in a long time. Why even have the pins if they're not allowed to wear them.

I could make an argument that forbidding NMs from wearing the pins is hazing. It would be a pretty stupid argument, but not nearly as stupid as the idea that you can't let them wear the pins because someone might think there was hazing going on.

Waiter, can we please get a reality check over here?
Do you think I make the rules? Because I don't. Why can't we do scavenger hunts? Because it COULD BE a hazing tool. Why can't we do a lot of things? Because it could be a hazing tool. That's just how it is nowadays...so now they are only allowed to wear them in pin attire.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
No need to get so testy, your initial post, below, made it sound like you actually do not let the pledges wear their pins, which I agree, would be beyond ridiculous.

If what you're saying is that the pledges now have the same restriction as the sisters, which is, you don't wear your pin/badge unless you're in "proper" attire, then that seems to fit the current definition of pledges and sisters being treated equally. And I thought that's what pretty much all the groups do now, so why would your pledges be any more or less disappointed than all of the new members on campus?
Quote:
What sucks is that we have to tell our girls that they are NOT ALLOWED to wear their pins...because it's hazing. It is always a disappointment to the girls who want to wear them to find out they can't.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do you think I make the rules? Because I don't. Why can't we do scavenger hunts? Because it COULD BE a hazing tool. Why can't we do a lot of things? Because it could be a hazing tool. That's just how it is nowadays...so now they are only allowed to wear them in pin attire.
No, I don't think you make the rules, and I didn't say you were stupid.

And I note that now you've said they are allowed to wear them sometimes; your earlier post made it sound like they were not allowed to wear them at all.

But as a rule, it is a very, very stupid rule to prohibit wearing the pin when the NM wants to (unless there are attire/drinking issues or whatever).

And that's how it is some places nowadays. As this thread shows, not everyone takes the same view of what is hazing that some groups and schools do. Many groups still expect that a pledge pin (or whatever it may be called) will be worn most of the time during the pledge period.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DZ BetaDelta Send a message via Yahoo to DZ BetaDelta
Our Delta Zeta chapter when I was going through pledging made us wear Pin Attire every monday and thursday during the day and on our New Member meetings every sunday night. we had to wear our pledge pin and just below it we had a small pink and green ribbon (like the memorial ribbons) pinned there also. during purity week we replaced them with white ribbons.

most of the sororities at our school did about the same thing with their pledges.

i don't miss wearing heels to class on snowy days!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
No, I don't think you make the rules, and I didn't say you were stupid.

And I note that now you've said they are allowed to wear them sometimes; your earlier post made it sound like they were not allowed to wear them at all.

But as a rule, it is a very, very stupid rule to prohibit wearing the pin when the NM wants to (unless there are attire/drinking issues or whatever).

And that's how it is some places nowadays. As this thread shows, not everyone takes the same view of what is hazing that some groups and schools do. Many groups still expect that a pledge pin (or whatever it may be called) will be worn most of the time during the pledge period.
Ah, I see now why you were confused. What I was referring to is new members who want to wear them all the time as a sign of pride. They get embarrassed and upset when we tell them that they MAY NOT wear it when not in pin attire, no matter how nicely we say it. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with WANTING to show pride in your organization, but I know that they do it because of what you stated; that some groups make them wear it all the time. And here, that's definitely considered hazing. (Once again, though, that's not my decision, so let's not get into the hazing debate.)
Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

New Members at my chapter could only wear their pin with pin attire. This was mostly only during chapter meetings, and other special occasions. If they wore the pin with something that as not pin attire, ie jeans or a strapless shirt, they were supposed to get fined, but I don't think this was ever strictly enforced.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember that many chapter meetings where I didn't where pin attire.'
So as an alpha member, I wore my alpha pin every week, and then we had pin attire and letters days. So at least twice a week, I wore my pin, more for other occasions like church events and whenever I would dress up.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to wear my pin everyday with respect to the four S's. I don't mind at all. Its a beautiful sparkly pin.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I had to wear my pledge pin at all times, except when showering, sleeping, sex, and swimming (pledges at my school were all not allowed to drink...at all). I didn't mind at all. I don't know why that was considered hazing...but pretty much everything is now.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
For APO, we used to go by the three Ss:

Sleeping
Sports
Sex

Or in other words, wear it at all times unless doing so would cause physical harm.
Actually, in APO its 5 Ss. (but please note, these are unofficial)

You left out:

Sloshed (ie, drinking)
Shower (going to/from the showers, showering)
Section 71 Chair