GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,357
2 members and 1,355 guests
g41965

Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahotboi View Post
I didn't blow Kevin off at all. He had a lot of good points. But I don't agree on his perspectives 100% though. His organization pays guys to upkeep his fraternity. I cannot relate to that. I find it hard to understand where he is coming from.
Actually MC was referring to knight-shadow, who gave you some really great advice.

Quote:
I'm curious, but 33girl, are you a girl? No offense but I am not interested in the woman's perspective of fraternity life. That's like asking me to give you advice on the perspective of sorority life from my point of view, it's not going to make any sense.
Actually she is also a member of a fraternity, granted it is a service fraternity, but similar issues.
Quote:
Like I said, I've been in talks with a guy who is part of the national fraternity. He is an alumni, he is a volunteer, he is NOT part of the expansion team. We haven't reached out to much alumni and maybe that would be a good idea. Again, this is more things I'm going to have to talk to the office about.
This will only help you if you are attempting a recolonization.

Quote:
But the issue is of constructing relationships completely based on this. Are you telling me that I should go out there, find random joes or people I hardly know, and hang out with them just to start a fraternity?
Well, yeah. That is what rush essentially is honestly.

Quote:
If I knew nothing about Greek Life and this was my first impression, I would conclude that they are scum of the earth.
Because we are giving you advice you don't want to hear?

Quote:
And no, I am not telling girls to lay off for no reason. Sororities have a lot more rules, formalities, politics, and other things involved with them that are a lot different than fraternities. Your perspective is not something I will be able to relate to easily.
You see having more rules to be a bad thing? Honestly I wish that more NIC fraternities would act like a NPC fraternity or sorority.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what, now that Psi U MC Vito brought up that last quote of his, supahotboi said that girls cannot give him advice because they don't know about running a fraternity, what a fraternity does, etc., yet he seems to know a lot about how sororities run?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Clearly I need to check GC more often...

So is this hating or mess?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Clearly I need to check GC more often...

So is this hating or mess?
I missed the original thread, but I think it's both.

IT'S A HATIN' MESS, Y'ALL...BLESS YOUR HEARTS!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I missed the original thread, but I think it's both.

IT'S A HATIN' MESS, Y'ALL...BLESS YOUR HEARTS!
This thread is much like the original one, except he's getting less advice this time because it was given the first time and disregarded.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Look at what happens when I don't take my laptop to class. Tisk tisk tisk.

As far as scaring off newbies looking for advice. I came on asking for advice, however, I was much more polite and understood that these people had much more information than I would have for years. Even though I was asking for advice on sorority recruitment I also took advice from men. I realized my mistakes in posts and apologized as well as made a mental note so I wouldn't do the same thing again. You have now made this thread twice and done the same mistakes. Learn.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Again, everything you have said is pretty helpful. I appreciate the advice.
You're welcome. Any time.

Quote:
My only thing with the ladies here is that fraternities and sororities operate in two different fashions. Their recruitment is different, their pledging is different, their interests are different, their operations are different, etc etc. To me, it doesn't really interest me what they have to say because they are talking about a different world. It's just not too applicable for this situation.
I know nothing about your background. You shouldn't pretend to know anything about theirs. Automatically assuming that they don't have perfectly good advice because they are female and/or don't have first-hand knowledge, which is another huge assumption doesn't place you on very firm ground. We had a lot of ladies who were instrumental in our colonization efforts. Otherwise, many folks here have had a lot of opportunity to gain a great deal of valuable knowledge through firsthand experience and through participation in this forum.

A lot of the advice they've given you is spot on.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's pretty much dude dating. That's recruitment in a nutshell.
Hands down, those may be the best lines in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Actually she [33girl] is also a member of a fraternity, granted it is a service fraternity, but similar issues.
Just to be clear, she is also a member of an NPC sorority.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post

Just to be clear, she is also a member of an NPC sorority.
Guess I kind of assumed that was understood by my also. Thanks for clarifying though.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Quote:
It's pretty much dude dating. That's recruitment in a nutshell.
Or in this forum.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're welcome. Any time.

I know nothing about your background. You shouldn't pretend to know anything about theirs. Automatically assuming that they don't have perfectly good advice because they are female and/or don't have first-hand knowledge, which is another huge assumption doesn't place you on very firm ground. We had a lot of ladies who were instrumental in our colonization efforts. Otherwise, many folks here have had a lot of opportunity to gain a great deal of valuable knowledge through firsthand experience and through participation in this forum.

A lot of the advice they've given you is spot on.
I think that this is what bothers me the most - he is completely dismissing the advice from women, saying that they know nothing about fraternities.. When he isn't in one! Quite frankly, there could be some women here who know more than he does, but he's so quick to dismiss what they say simply because they can't join one.

What he fails to realize is that while fraternities and sororities are very different, there are also many similarities, and there's a lot of advice that can overlap and apply to both.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 04-24-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

And there are fraternities that women can join. Not even talking about "just" professional or service oriented ones.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

What's that saying about insanity? Posting the same thread on Greek Chat and expecting different advice?

He can't take the GOOD advice that he should be busting his ass in the summer so he can get the ball rolling in the Fall. Earth to OP, you're choosing to ignore good advice from people who are actually in fraternities (and sororities). A lot of these people have helped found chapters or served in leadership roles in their chapters.

The fact that you disagree with their advice will doom you to failure. The end.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
What he fails to realize is that while fraternities and sororities are very different, there are also many similarities, and there's a lot of advice that can overlap and apply to both.
Trust me. Last December when I was in negotiations to lease us a nicer house, I wasn't going to Sigma Nu or even other fraternities for plans on how to run the property. I was soliciting sororities to let me steal their lease agreements, risk management practices and business practices.

NPC groups are just so much more ridiculously evolved than NIC types when it comes to many things. To discard what y'all have accomplished as useless would not be a good decision.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
The fact that you disagree with their advice will doom you to failure. The end.
I don't even think that's his biggest problem. The organization he's recruiting for either doesn't take him seriously or is just awful at expansion efforts. This group has made a lot of bad decisions. Summer rush is just one of them.

That said, early on in our colonization process, we did have some pretty piss poor numbers and lacked the institutional knowledge to recruit throughout the summer. We're doing pretty well today.

It's conceivable he could pull things off, but he's going to need either more organizational support or some sort of something to be able to retain membership once it's been recruited. Rush is only part of the picture. Without some means to retain members, you're just spinning your wheels.