GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,067
1 members and 1,066 guests
No Members online

Old 05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking What is the difference between a date party and a crush party in a sorority?

Can anyone give me any details of the difference between a date party and a crush party in a sorority?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

A date party typically is like a semi-formal where you can do something different than the typical dinner and dance formal thing. We did things like dinner and games at a place like Dave&Busters, comedy shows-- anything "date like".

Crush parties (at least the ones we did) are basically parties where you get a certain number of invites (supposedly your "crushes") and they get invited without knowing who invited them. There can be some sort of revealing at the party where the guests find out who has a crush on them. I've seen it in a couple different forms from the more "serious" where your sisters invite people for you to the more "fun" where it's just basically a very closed invite party with anyone as the crushes (girl friends or guys)
Old 05-18-2007, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Exactly.

For a "date party," you know who your date will be in advance, because you're the one who did the asking.

For a "crush party," there's an element of surprise. You don't know who your date will be until the event. If you submitted a list, you know it will be one of those individuals...you just don't know which specific one.

Another variation we did once...the "find a mister for your sister" party. Each sister was assigned to find a date for another sister. As with a "crush party," no one knew who their date was going to be until the event happened. But there was even a greater element of surprise, b/c you had no idea who you were being set up with either!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Date parties for us also were more elaborate- and cost more. Usually we had favors for the date parties (tee shirts, sweatshirts, etc). usually we had one date party a quarter. Usually they were at a location off campus (so we would have to take a bus).
Crush parties were more informal, usually on campus or within walking distance. We also occasionally had Grab-A-Dates where we would see in the student paper that we were having a grab-a-date that night and we would only have a few hours to find someone to go with us. My favorite grab-a-date was when we would rent out the movie theater to see whatever movie was playing.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan314 View Post
Another variation we did once...the "find a mister for your sister" party. Each sister was assigned to find a date for another sister. As with a "crush party," no one knew who their date was going to be until the event happened. But there was even a greater element of surprise, b/c you had no idea who you were being set up with either!
That is so cute! I wish Greeks at my school kept up with traditions like that! Do you all have homecoming too?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We had sort of a scavenger hunt for the crushes to find out who had invited them.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We had what I guess is now called a "crushes" party.
Our annual Halloween party was Embalmers Ball. And part of it included numbered, printed invites.

The women did not truly know who their date was until they ID'd the body with the toe tag.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
We had sort of a scavenger hunt for the crushes to find out who had invited them.
Wow! That is such a cute idea! Marist Greeks really have to hop on this.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
We had what I guess is now called a "crushes" party.
Our annual Halloween party was Embalmers Ball. And part of it included numbered, printed invites.

The women did not truly know who their date was until they ID'd the body with the toe tag.
Cool but...twisted.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl View Post
Cool but...twisted.
You think that was twisted???
We were under sheets all dressed, just had a tag with our number on our hand.

Twisted would have been the embalming ceremony at the start of the dance; with real animal guts, the smallest pledge and the Mad Doctor and his Assistant.

And before anyone asks "Why the smallest pledge"-the dates were met, after they had a pre-party off campus, in the main square of campus in front of the Library by torches, pall-bearers and a coffin.

Last edited by jon1856; 05-19-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I had a HORRIBLE experience with that type of party once.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:04 AM
GreekChat Member

where are crush parties usually held?
My chapter's thinking about throwing one but we don't have a house (Canadian chapter) so hopefully they're held at other venues?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g phi beta girl View Post
where are crush parties usually held?
My chapter's thinking about throwing one but we don't have a house (Canadian chapter) so hopefully they're held at other venues?
At most chapters, there are rules against boys and alcohol in the house, so of course they go somewhere else! It can really be anywhere - a dance club, bowling alley, bonfire in the woods, etc.

I have a funny crush party story. You had your friends email the lucky guy, and everyone matched up at the house before the buses left. Apparently, one sister wanted to invite Joe Blow to the party, but her friend emailed another Joe Blow (in our school's email system, you just typed in the name). Well, Joe II was very dorky and the sister just left and he came to the party with us. This particular party got a little crazy and girls were up on the bar and the bartenders were lighting alcohol on fire around it. His eyes were the size of dinner plates! It was probably the best thing that happened to him in college.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Since we don't have these types of events, I have a question: Do only the women who are single participate?

We have generally have formals for chapter anniversaries or end-of-the year type celebrations, as well as a formal gala for our national convention each year. It's customary to bring dates to all of these events (but not required). Then, we have parties that are open to everyone...although with 11 years in the sorority, I typically just send a donation in lieu of attending parties.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

We usually had our crush parties at somewhere "nostalgic" because crushes are little kid-ish. The most memorable one we had was at Chuck-E-Cheese's. It was pretty funny watching college kids jump in the ball pit!

We also usually did not tell our guests who had invited them. It was more fun for it to remain a mystery and let them guess.