GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,360
1 members and 1,359 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I am trying to imagine this with the 1812 Overture. Is it lots of colors exploding in rapid sequence like a musical Jackson Pollock painting?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
I still have a lot of my old shotokan katas and a heavy bag in my basement.

Awww, dang, CG, see what you may have started??! lol
lol
Hilarious!

Tony, are you still a basketball official now? I mean, I was just asking because with a bad ankle, and 2 bad knees, that should be the very reason for getting back into martial arts. It will do more good than harm. Have you ever thought about Aikido? There isn't much movement in Aikido, at least not like it is in kickboxing. I eventually want to mix the two.

Quote:
I really am giving it a lot of thought. After 12 years of basketball officiating, a bad ankle and 2 bad knees make me think, sometimes, about shifting away to something else.
"Miyagi heal Tony"... lol
http://youtu.be/5UUyVz2DISY
Old 07-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a violinist. In undergrad, I had a nearly full ride as a non-major to play in the university orchestra. Picked it up after about 10 years of not really doing anything. Joined the community orchestra, play in the first violin section now.

There:

http://www.okorchestra.org/

I also have been playing in an annual Haydn Festival. Played in a featured quartet this year (2nd violin part). So I'm getting pretty good with it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
I am trying to imagine this with the 1812 Overture. Is it lots of colors exploding in rapid sequence like a musical Jackson Pollock painting?
Goodness no, otherwise I don't think I'd be able to listen to it! Each note has it's own color, but those are superseded by the chords they make and the key itself. For example, the ending sequence of the 1812 Overture is normally played in E flat major, which I register as a light blue. So when I think of the 1812 Overture I know it's light blue, but if you pulled out an individual note or chord it would be a different color. Most of the colors I perceive are varying shades of either blue or orange; not sure why that is. Major and minor keys and chords also differ greatly from each other.

Oh, I also have perfect pitch too, which is almost redundant because I can already tell what note is being played by the color it produces in my mind's eye. It made AP Music Theory listening tests super easy
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
lol
Hilarious!

Tony, are you still a basketball official now? I mean, I was just asking because with a bad ankle, and 2 bad knees, that should be the very reason for getting back into martial arts. It will do more good than harm. Have you ever thought about Aikido? There isn't much movement in Aikido, at least not like it is in kickboxing. I eventually want to mix the two.
Yep. Still love the game. The feel of a big game and a gym full of people is still electric to me. I'll likely reduce my schedule a bit this season, though.

If I get back into training I may do it 1-on-1 or find an all adult dojo. Previously, I always trained with my daughter (there were a few other dads on the floor, but it was a kids class.) The cool thing is the sensei's top assistant was a brown belt (and a policeman). He and I usually trained/sparred together, and he'd share control/self-defense techiques they didn't teach the kids.

Do you compete in tournaments? If so, how often? I've never done Akido. I was comfortable with both Taekwondo and then Karate. We'll see.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep. Still love the game. The feel of a big game and a gym full of people is still electric to me. I'll likely reduce my schedule a bit this season, though.

If I get back into training I may do it 1-on-1 or find an all adult dojo. Previously, I always trained with my daughter (there were a few other dads on the floor, but it was a kids class.) The cool thing is the sensei's top assistant was a brown belt (and a policeman). He and I usually trained/sparred together, and he'd share control/self-defense techiques they didn't teach the kids.

Do you compete in tournaments? If so, how often? I've never done Akido. I was comfortable with both Taekwondo and then Karate. We'll see.
Cool! I started training with my kids two years ago. After I joined, several other parents (including 1 other mom) joined, too.

Other talent: I'm a really good open water swimmer. I have won age group swims at open water races. It's a weird sport to like if you live in the Midwest.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
Cool! I started training with my kids two years ago. After I joined, several other parents (including 1 other mom) joined, too.

Other talent: I'm a really good open water swimmer. I have won age group swims at open water races. It's a weird sport to like if you live in the Midwest.
That's great, KDCat! Madd congrats to you. Doin' is better than talkin' ....and it is a heck of a workout! (what art do you train in?)
Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That's wonderful. I had no idea that you're a basketball official.

Nah, no tournaments. My sensei thinks I'm ready and wants me to compete in tournaments, but I told him that tournaments aren't for me. I'd never be "ready" for anything like that. It's strictly for staying in shape, and having fun.

One of his requirements to earn a black belt in his dojo is to put into practice/reality what he's taught by fighting an opponent. He also gives us the option to opt-out of it. Of course, I will be opting-out of it.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's great, KDCat! Madd congrats to you. Doin' is better than talkin' ....and it is a heck of a workout! (what art do you train in?)
It's a mixed class that focuses on karate, tae kwon do and jiu-jitsu.

It's hard. OMG. It's so hard. I just pour sweat. I am a lot stronger than I was than when I started, though.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
It's a mixed class that focuses on karate, tae kwon do and jiu-jitsu.

It's hard. OMG. It's so hard. I just pour sweat. I am a lot stronger than I was than when I started, though.
Good. Between you and CheerfulGreek I know who not to mess with. How old are your kids? I'm sure they're having fun with it.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm a violinist. In undergrad, I had a nearly full ride as a non-major to play in the university orchestra. Picked it up after about 10 years of not really doing anything. Joined the community orchestra, play in the first violin section now.

There:

http://www.okorchestra.org/

I also have been playing in an annual Haydn Festival. Played in a featured quartet this year (2nd violin part). So I'm getting pretty good with it.
You've got to be good to be playing in an orchestra. Do you volunteer as a hobby, or is it a hobby you get paid money to do?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

@ my frat. Bruh, is this high school basketball/college? That's good stuff.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
You've got to be good to be playing in an orchestra. Do you volunteer as a hobby, or is it a hobby you get paid money to do?
It's a community orchestra, so I pay dues annually. I have, since taking it up, been paid in an ad hoc thrown together quartet where we played a couple's 50th wedding anniversary party. I'm good enough to play gigs, but don't really pursue that so much because my day job is lawyering, so it's not an efficient use of my time if profit is the objective. I'm not good enough to be a professional violinist or audition for the OKC Symphony, but I could probably make a smaller town's orchestra though where I'm not competing with PhD performance majors.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
@ my frat. Bruh, is this high school basketball/college? That's good stuff.
high school.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good. Between you and CheerfulGreek I know who not to mess with. How old are your kids? I'm sure they're having fun with it.
They are 9 and 11. Both boys. Both higher belts than me. They think sparring with mom is really fun, but they'll only do it if they can go 2 against 1 (me).