GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,454
2 members and 1,452 guests
No Members online

Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
^WTF?

This actually did happen to me with a friend. The bride sent all us friends a Facebook message with a few details about the wedding and informed us that "sorry, but we are dirt poor and can't afford to have +1s unless you're engaged or married". I was all

Eta my Wtf was at jawbreaker...I'm on my phone and slow
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPi_Jawbreaker View Post
If they had figured out the budget ahead of time, maybe they could have sent out "You are not invited" letters
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/y...raws-criticism
On one hand, this is bizarre. It shouldn't be necessary - no one should ever assume they're invited to your wedding.

On the other hand, based on my own experience, there ARE people who assume they (or their parents, or someone else they know) are invited, so... I'm not sure what to think.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPi_Jawbreaker View Post
If they had figured out the budget ahead of time, maybe they could have sent out "You are not invited" letters
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/y...raws-criticism
As I was reading this ^^^article, I came across this:
"Just Us" Weddings ~ Old idea with a new package (People have been doing this for YEARS)
http://thelook.today.com/_news/2013/...he-guests?lite
Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Yeah, this is going to sound really harsh, but if you're dealing with budget issues of that magnitude, you do not need a wedding.

I tend to feel the same about other rather rude practices such as cash bars/drink tickets. If you're monitoring your guest's drink consumption on that level, you need to elope.
You have no idea.

There's a family wedding that has featured the following:
  1. Save the Date TEXTS. Not even a postcard, regular e-mail, or Paperless Post.
  2. When they decided to change the date, there was no official announcement.
  3. Kids who were originally asked to be in the wedding party were removed when they realized they couldn't afford the extra plates.
  4. Invitees received a text (in Prince speak) asking if they were going to come because otherwise they wouldn't send an invite.
  5. A decision was made that there would be no children at the wedding, which is more than fine. They asked a teenager to babysit...for free, which is NOT fine.

It's just clear that they cannot afford the wedding to which they feel entitled. What's wrong with eloping?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 AM

Because Munchkin, if you elope, you can't get all the gifts and attention to which you feel you are entitled. Duh.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Because Munchkin, if you elope, you can't get all the gifts and attention to which you feel you are entitled. Duh.
Well, they've created a very small registry because they'd rather have cash. In fact, they're already trying to figure out who will give them what in terms of cash. The rude awakening they'll have is that they'll get gifts--regardless of if they registered or not.

Enough family members and family friends are turned off to the point where they're probably not going to go. I had a prior commitment but I would not have gone anyway. I have weddings of people I actually like.

I am sooo tempted to buy them Emily Posts Etiquette for Married Couples book. You have no idea.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Advice- How to look comfortable/ relaxed?

I will be wearing a floor length, black satin dress with my hair up for a wedding I am in. I am only 5"2, and I am extremely uncomfortable in long dresses. Unless it is completely made by a dressmaker, it looks like I am playing dress up (and even then it's dicey), and it definitely shows that I am uncomfortable. We are also wearing our hair up. I am used to wearing a bun/French twist for ballet, but other than that, I never wear my hair completely up. I actually tried it at my last formal, and I was not a fan.

Of course I can't "break in" my dress like a pair of shoes, does anyone have any recommendations so that I can get used to this and look natural on the day of? I don't want any attention at all to be on me, but I have noticed in wedding photos when attendants look uncomfortable, and I don't want that to be the case
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Your monthly dose of client rudeness is brought to you by the email I was CCed on today asking "Hey, you guys have done a lot of weddings so you might be good to ask. Do we REALLY need to tip our band?

Sweet lord.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to hijack, but has RSVPing gone out of style or something? I know there have been a lot of posts here about wayward wedding RSVPs; now you can add baby shower RSVPs to the list.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
Not to hijack, but has RSVPing gone out of style or something? I know there have been a lot of posts here about wayward wedding RSVPs; now you can add baby shower RSVPs to the list.
I just don't think people know or realize what proper etiquette is.

For instance, two classmates of mine are getting married this upcoming summer. They are the classic Facebook over sharers: photos of everything, constant updates of how many days and hours are left, reposts of engagement pictures, and pictures of them making out with the caption "Cannot wait!". (They also only dated four months before getting engaged but I can't judge that too heavily: I'm not in the relationship).

Recently, two of my close friends got an email on which they were one of like twenty people. The email read along the lines of "We don't have the ability to send you an invite but we still want you to come to our wedding!" I was shocked that they had done it via email while my friends were shocked to be invited. They hadn spoken in about a year.

To compound the rudeness, this couple is posting on all the invitees ( both mail and email) asking if they could hurry up and send in their RSVPs for a summer wedding!!!! (They are a couple of weeks before me and I am mailing them in late April at the two month mark). Does this smell of B list to anyone else?

I don't know. I know "to each their own" for a wedding but this just seems rude upon rude.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
If I am invited to one more wedding with "No boxed gifts please" written ON the invitation I will hurl a stand mixer at the bride.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Argh, I need to vent.

So back in November, my half-sister set her wedding date for 2 weeks before ours (long after we had set our date and sent our save-the-dates). I knew full well that we weren't going to be able to go - it's a destination wedding in California (we live in Ohio). There's just no way we could afford it right now with our wedding expenses, plus trying to fit it in between moving, graduating, and the general craziness that May is going to be. I sent the RSVP back the day after I got the invite in March.

Fast forward to today when she sends this pissy email to my dad saying how disappointed she is that we didn't make the effort to come to her wedding or even send back the RSVP (um, okay - you need to talk to the USPS about that one). I seriously don't feel bad. She chose to get married two weeks before me, forcing a lot of our out-of-towners to have to choose between the weddings. And in terms of "effort," this is the same sister who hadn't bothered to call/email/smoke signal our dad for years until she got engaged, DESPITE my dad's repeated attempts to keep in touch.

I think she expects us to feel guilty because she RSVPd yes to ours, but we just DON'T. Maybe I'm being a bridezilla, but I don't care.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't care either. I honestly think it was rude of her to plan her wedding two weeks before yours and then expect you to pull out all the stops for her big day.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it bad that I registry stalk? I guess I can't help it lol, the date is getting closer and it's so exciting to see things flying off of it! The good thing though is that I can still be surprised by who the givers are.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM

That awkward moment when you are in the wedding industry part-time, in graduate school/GAship, and wedding season just kind of sneaks up on you. Crazy. 3rd conference call in 3 days.

Lakers Nation.