GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,314
0 members and 1,314 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ yeah they're all talking about how we should stop talking about something only they are talking about.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone remember me? Yeah, this is my chapter. And I know far more about this particular situation than many of the people posting in the thread, but maybe in my adulthood I've lost some of my righteous indignation.

The statement that was originally posted WAS from a national press release, Gamma Chis. Keep in mind also that National Convention was this summer. Phi Mus from all over the country have at least gotten this information about why the chapter was shut down.

I was wondering when the GCers would pick up on this whole "rampant misuse of social media" thing. It seems to me that it has the potential to blow the shutters right off of what we normally think of as being suspension-worthy offenses. The details of this particular case have been grossly exaggerated, in my opinion. However, what's done is done- and we have 4 years to consider what could have been done differently.

To clarify, someone mentioned the wording of the press release. The chapter was suspended by the University, and then subsequently Phi Mu. The accusers in question were former members who felt harrassed by a small group of individuals. Although the individuals in question were also punished with their own student conduct hearings, the University punished the entire chapter. Because Phi Mu is a guest of UNCG, they obviously chose to go along with the University decision, which is pretty common. And yes, the hazing incidents primarily refer to scavenger hunts. It's the "rampant misuse of social media", and harassment of former members, that caused the chapter to be shut down. Any Phi Mus who have any further questions may direct them to me, if you'd like, in PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCutie View Post
To clarify, someone mentioned the wording of the press release. The chapter was suspended by the University, and then subsequently Phi Mu. The accusers in question were former members who felt harrassed by a small group of individuals. Although the individuals in question were also punished with their own student conduct hearings, the University punished the entire chapter. Because Phi Mu is a guest of UNCG, they obviously chose to go along with the University decision, which is pretty common.
That was me. Thanks for clearing it up, I just thought the way it was worded was rather bass-ackwards.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=12969243

Zeta Phi Beta suspended for five years at Coastal Carolina.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Kevin, based on the update report in the Syracuse student paper (see below), I guess you can add another to your list of “RMF closures.” See

http://www.dailyorange.com/news/frat...lose-1.1951581

Excerpts from ^:

. . . The six-member National Council voted unanimously to revoke the chapter's charter Friday, said Janine Grover, marketing and communications director for A Chi O National Headquarters. There is a chance for the chapter to recolonize at SU but not until after a significant period of time, Grover said.

"There were behaviors that were unhealthy for the chapter," Grover said. Grover could not go into specifics because of the National Headquarters privacy policy.

For the past year, National Headquarters has been working with SU's chapter, discussing multiple issues the headquarters had with the Lambda chapter, said Grover of National Headquarters.

The Lambda chapter was put on probation last spring for "severe risk management violations," according to the letter to alumnae. National Headquarters' staff members made multiple visits to the SU chapter and worked to implement a plan for improvement, including hiring a resident adviser to live in the house.

But the chapter continued to violate the terms of the probation and university policies, according to the letter.

"Closing a chapter is the hardest decision a National Council has to make, and we would never reach that decision lightly," Grady, the national president, said in the letter. "At this time, we simply don't believe we can successfully bring this chapter back to health given the risk management policy violations involved and the campus culture that does not support a positive Alpha Chi Omega experience."
. . .

The Alpha chi Omega press release is posted on their HQ site:

http://www.alphachiomega.org/uploade...%20Release.pdf
Excerpt:

[I[FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Indianapolis, IN – Alpha Chi Omega’s National Council voted unanimously to close its Lambda chapter at Syracuse University, effective immediately. The decision came as a result of unresolved risk management violations. Current collegiate members were granted alumna status.

“Closing a chapter is the hardest decision a National Council has to make, and we would never reach that decision lightly.” stated Marsha Grady, National President. “That said, we have clear standards and expectations for members of this organization. In this situation, despite our clearly communicated expectations and significant resources devoted to changing chapter culture, this chapter has failed to live up to Alpha Chi Omega standards.” . . . [/I]

Last edited by exlurker; 02-01-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Kevin. For your list, I guess.

Beta Theta Pi is closing its chapter at Ohio University (Athens OH). Alcohol and other policy violations are cited as among the reasons. See

http://thepost.ohiou.edu/main.asp?Se...rticleID=33541

“Oxford, Ohio - February 1 - Beta Theta Pi's Board of Trustees, in collaboration with OU Beta alumni leaders and university officials, announced tonight the closure of its Beta Kappa Chapter at Ohio University. Founded on the Athens campus in 1841, the chapter currently posts 47 undergraduates, including 37 initiated and 10 pledge members. . . .”
Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Upate on Alpha Chi Omega closure at Syracuse:

http://www.dailyorange.com/news/frat...sure-1.1998273
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Upate on Alpha Chi Omega closure at Syracuse:

http://www.dailyorange.com/news/frat...sure-1.1998273
So I visited the Save the Lambdas Tumblr site mentioned in the article.

I can understand the desire to reach out and get others to voice their support of Lambda Chapter. Some of the posts were heartfelt and emotional pleading with HQ to reconsider. But some really had some private laundry.

I don't know guys. If your chapter's on the verge of closing, and you want to see it re-open someday, maybe it's best not to take your fight to the internet?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Well, I personally find it very odd that a national president granted (via phone of course, but still) what appears to be a private interview with a student newspaper. It comes off as being unsure of the decision that was made and trying to plead your case that you did the proper thing.

Of course, if the newspaper twisted what are basically press releases and such, I take it back.

Don't even get me started on the title of that article.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, I personally find it very odd that a national president granted (via phone of course, but still) what appears to be a private interview with a student newspaper. It comes off as being unsure of the decision that was made and trying to plead your case that you did the proper thing.

Of course, if the newspaper twisted what are basically press releases and such, I take it back.

Don't even get me started on the title of that article.
No one at HQ or on the National Council is unsure about the decision to close the chapter. I don't know where the quotes originated, phone or press release, or some other source. The reporting by the Daily Orange and the misguided online efforts of some collegians and alumnae are disturbing including the misstatement of facts by those just mentioned.

Bottom line - all members are accountable for their actions, upholding our values and following policy.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Kevin.

I think this news has been reflected on irishpipes' and Lane_Sig's lists, but maybe not on the one in this thread?

http://m.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs....emplate=wapart

Reportedly Delta Phi Epsilon has closed its (now former) chapter at SUNY - New Paltz, effective April 13.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Kind of old news, but Sigma Phi Epsilon was suspended last year at the University of Central Arkansas for a number of things that happened within the time span of two weeks. Those things are said to have been- Underage drinking, a fraternity brawl with Sigma Tau Gamma, and an alleged rape case.

This suspension is set to be lifted at the beginning of the fall 2012 semester.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Kevin,

News from Montclair State, accoring to their student paper

http://www.themontclarion.org/archives/3739700

Excerpts from ^^:

10-6-2011
TKE banned from campus for alleged hazing incident at the start of the year
- By Joseph Lisnow,*Assistant*News

The issue of hazing has hit Montclair State University, as two students from the Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) fraternity were arrested after it was reported that they had caused “mental and physical punishments” to one of their pledges at the start of the calendar year.

. . . The pledge suffered a cut on his elbow that became infected and required surgery, the police report stated.

. . . TKE is no longer affiliated with Montclair State University . . . The decision to remove the organization from campus was made by Dr. Karen Pennington, vice president for Student Development and Campus Life.
. . .
Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Cornell: TKE May Lose Recognition
Hey Kevin and others:

Cornell's TKE chapter may lose recognition. See article on student paper’s site:

http://www.cornellsun.com/section/ne...se-recognition

There’s an interesting allegation, mentioned in the article, that members of the former SAE chapter at Cornell have been operating through TKE. Among other things, sixteen ex-pledges of SAE have pledged TKE. It all sounds quite complex.

Excerpt from article ^^ :

January 6, 2012
By Jeff Stein

“Cornell will revoke its recognition of Tau Kappa Epsilon following reports of an alcohol-related hospitalization of a freshman unless the fraternity succeeds in its appeal of the decision, according to multiple sources. . . “
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Allegations put fraternity on suspension

February 23rd, 2012 | Published in Greek Life, News, Scene

A Creighton fraternity has been suspended following allegations of underage alcohol access and hazing of members at fraternity functions.
Pi Kappa Alpha were notified via email that these allegations had been brought against them. The allegations in questions are under investigation and until it is complete the fraternity is under suspension.....

http://www.creightonian.com/?p=4344

the article continues after the link
Closed Thread