GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,249
4 members and 2,245 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 07-27-2002, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Minimum Expectations?

If you've recieved your Grand Chapter packet, you'll come accross something called Minimum Expectations -- it's a proposal for the coming Grand Chapter...

Essentially it sets guidelines that chapters are required to follow.. They are required to achieve at least 80 out of 110 possible points. If they don't from what I understand to be 3 semesters their charter can be indefinitely revoked.

I personally object to the concept that anyone besides our own chapter, our own alums, etc... should be able to set minimum expectations (besides reasonable things like paying bills, GPA, membership, following the Law, etc)..

It just seems that with so many chapters and every chapter's unique situation this plan might do more harm than good...

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2002, 02:46 AM

Since nobody ever responded!

I'd like to share my opinions. More "should Greeks face minimum standards" rather than should SN; since I'm SK.

My sorority has Standards of Excellence which also has a minimum standards. All the things that are needed to meet minimum standards are really basic and imho don't have much gray interpretation. But to get a Star of Exellence there is plenty of gray.

So how is it handled? SELF EVALUATION! The people filling out the evaluations are the chapter officers and advisors. I'd say if the new SN program doesn't have some type of self evaluation then you should definitely suggest it!

I think S.O.E. is a great program. It really provides the chapter with great goals and it can show how much a chapter has improved.

Three semesters seems too short though. Three years seems more agreeable. Because not every solution can be implemented in a year and not every proplem can be fixed in a single year.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Well to update it, we no longer call it "minimum expectations". The new title of the program is "Pursuit of Excellence".

It's still in its formative stages and the point requirments have been lowered for the first year.

I have every confidence that the program will serve to give failing chapters more incentive to get back on the ball... It'll show HQ who needs help and who's doing okay.

I'm actually excited for this program since going to Grand Chapter to see what they had to say about it.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

PS SoCalGirl,

We love the Sigma Kappas at the University of Central Oklahoma. A wonderful group of ladies. We took 2nd overall in Greek Week with them and won Spring Sing. Thanks for commenting on that -- always good to hear what other organizations are doing.