GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,218
1 members and 1,217 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Me too, honey! And I know it's NOMB, but I wonder when and why the dagger made its appearance on the badge, and when it changed from what's pictured, above (the latter might not be "secret").
One of the founders of Kappa Delta, Julia Tyler Wilson, designed the original badge. What I remember from the histories written Julia simply wasn't pleased with the design and very soon after founding the sorority she redesigned it. I doubt that even a dozen of the original design were ever made. (If someone knows exactly how many, please chime in!)

I would love to see one of the originals in person. I think it's a pretty pin and I love the olive green enamel. It would have looked great surrounded by pearls but emeralds would have clashed horribly.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 02-19-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: more stuff
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure exactly when it changed, but our current badge is present in the 1905 edition of Bairds.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Jewelry ad from 1927, reprinted in "The Eleusis" in 1992. $15 in 1927 would be around $200 today. I would LOVE to see a ring like this in the Chi Omega Archives. Can you imagine the beauty of the blue lapis lazuli?!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Banned

Here is a neat stained glass window I just saw at a local antique shop.....Could this have been from a sorority?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Banned

Are there any groups who use the pleiades as a symbol? I thought I read something years ago, but cant now remember...

thanks.
BG
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Seems to me that you're straying far afield from the badge/jewelry theme of this thread into other areas, badgeguy. Don't think any of us could wear a stained glass window. Your history research might be better placed elsewhere in another thread.

Back to the regularly scheduled program, fellow badge lovers! Nut, the detail on that BPA ring is spectacular and would fetch far more than $200, IMO!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Seems to me that you're straying far afield from the badge/jewelry theme of this thread into other areas, badgeguy. Don't think any of us could wear a stained glass window. Your history research might be better placed elsewhere in another thread.

Back to the regularly scheduled program, fellow badge lovers! Nut, the detail on that BPA ring is spectacular and would fetch far more than $200, IMO!
but it says $15!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
No kidding!! I know I'd pay more than that if I ever found one.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

*whew* I spent the majority of last night going through every single post on this thread. It makes me want to run out and buy pins!

Does anyone know if http://npcsororitybadges.blogspot.com is still managed by an active GCer? I'd love to see more pictures on that website!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Omg. Just search #badgeday #badgeday13 #badgeday2013 on Instagram or twitter today. I could literally fill up pages of this thread with pictures (but won't cause I have a job lol). But I think I'll take screen shots and share some faves later!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is a gorgeous all-opal Kappa Sigma pin up on that auction site we don't name. GORGEOUS. I'm still waiting (however fruitlessly) for a Sigma Kappa pin with opal points to show up for sale someday!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is a gorgeous all-opal Kappa Sigma pin up on that auction site we don't name. GORGEOUS. I'm still waiting (however fruitlessly) for a Sigma Kappa pin with opal points to show up for sale someday!
There was an opal Sigma Kappa just recently. I can't copy the photos but the auction was located here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiny-Triangu...vip=true&rt=nc

Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Please do not post active auctions in this thread. Posting auctions here will only lead to higher visibility and higher prices. This thread is visible to more than just members of GC.

If you find something in a hidden or unexpected spot, PM a member of that organization.
Just a friendly reminder on this wonderful day Believe me, lots of folks watch auction sites and tip one another off.

I wore my COA sweatshirt to the swimming pool, now have a lovely pearled badge in a badge holder necklace that I'll be wearing the rest of the day!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Lots of neat badge pictures popping up today. Here are a few DG ones that haven't been posted here...and a few that have been posted here...but these are better photos.

Opal from 1890's.

Prototype of the new DG International President's Badge.

Emeral and Pearl (date unknown to me - but pre-1905)

Coral and pearl (date unknown to me - but pre-1905)

Diamond from 1900. I wish I knew more about it...I wonder if it had a cable at one point, or if it was made without one (which would be rather strange since it's an important part of our badge).

Modern Chapter President's badge (slightly larger than regular badges).

Here you can see the size difference between a regular badge (on right) and a chapter president's badge (left).
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Daisy, I just finished picking up my jaw from where it hit the desk when I laid eyes on your International President's badge. All I can say is wow, what a beauty!!!

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 03-04-2013 at 02:19 PM.