GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,422
0 members and 1,422 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voLTAgeDEuce View Post
LOL, well, I'm not going to say who this came from, but that person would not tell me if they didn't believe it themselves. I feel like although stories like this are probably not exactly true some variation probably is, otherwise why are people still talking about it?
Did I tell you about the time my cousin's friend was babysitting? She had put the kids to bed and was watching TV, and then the phone rang. She answered it and this guy just laughed kind of creepy and asked if she'd checked on the kids lately. She hung up on him, but he kept calling back, until finally she called the phone company. The operator said if he called back, to try to keep him talking so they could trace the call. He did call back and she tried to keep him talking, until all of a sudden the operator cut into the call and said "Get out of the house NOW! He's upstairs!" Turns out he had already killed the kids.

Please tell me you have more sense that to seriously wonder why people still talk about stories like this. Urban legends take on lives of their own.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

^^^LOLOL!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Did I tell you about the time my cousin's friend was babysitting? She had put the kids to bed and was watching TV, and then the phone rang. She answered it and this guy just laughed kind of creepy and asked if she'd checked on the kids lately. She hung up on him, but he kept calling back, until finally she called the phone company. The operator said if he called back, to try to keep him talking so they could trace the call. He did call back and she tried to keep him talking, until all of a sudden the operator cut into the call and said "Get out of the house NOW! He's upstairs!" Turns out he had already killed the kids.

Please tell me you have more sense that to seriously wonder why people still talk about stories like this. Urban legends take on lives of their own.
I think your scenario is a little off base, but we cannot ignore the fact that many PNMs are willing to do whatever it takes to become a part of their preference organization. When we are talking about
-eating food off of the floor
-putting a banana in your vagina
-"get with" bros
-picking up an olive with your butt checks and walking across the room w/o dropping it and if you do you have to eat it! lol (this is from my bf's dad who is an alum of an IFC)
-laying in the snow in your underwear while the actives drip cold water on your forehead and ask you questions about info
And the list goes on. So IMO, I do not find it hard to believe that some active members take advantage of the willingness of PNM and push the limits. I also think that hazing breeds hazers. If I had to do this, the next line will have to do this and probable more, in order to prove themselves to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Has hazing happened and does it happen? Sure! Is some hazing that has happened and does happen disgusting? Sure!

But basically, you've repeated third-hand a hazing story that many of us know to be a Greek urban legend from way back, and you defend it with "although stories like this are probably not exactly true some variation probably is, otherwise why are people still talking about it?" (And that was the point of my scenario -- untrue stories that nevertheless get told in some form for decades. It happens all the time.)

Bottom line: If you don't have personal, first-hand knowledge of it, then you don't know whether it really happened, whether something happened that got mangled in the retelling, whether friend's friend used it as excuse (and as revenge) when when she was dropped by the sorority, whether urban legend was getting passed along, or whether . . . well, you get the idea.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersurf View Post
My chapter doesn't haze.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

It was a frat ay my college. They made the kid a bowl of alcoholic beverages ... (lets just call it that), duct taped it to his hands, and pushed him into a closet to take it all in. The kid also rarely drank alcohol, so he had a low tolerance.

The frat was suspended for two years, only now coming back.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Hazed & Confused

for crazy hazing stories check out this website [link removed]
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnc View Post
for crazy hazing stories check out this website [link removed]
Womp womp @ that site
Womp womp @ That spelling of "hazed"
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

hdzsd?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieM View Post
hdzsd?
I hated getting hdzsd. It kind of hygt.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I hated getting hdzsd. It kind of hygt.
I hsdg thdt!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are some funny ones instead -

For Hell Week, one fraternity would assign their pledges a role that they had to fulfill for the week, whenever they weren't in classes/at the house. These included -
-doing yoga on the lawn (in full yoga gear, with Enya on a boombox)
-playing golf on the lawn (again in full gear)
-being a gargoyle around campus (no moving allowed!)
-wearing an apron and hairnet and making PB&J sandwiches for anyone who walked by
-holding a [campus secret society] sign up booth (apparently some years, this pledge got terrorized by actual members of the secret society later)
- doing campus tours for an invisible tour (bonus points if he managed to poach prospective students & parents from the real tour).

Sadly, because these stunts were so public the university cracked down. Which I think actually hurt the no-hazing movement, since now the fraternity holds more traditional and disgusting Hell Week activities in the privacy of their house.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

A friend is a new pledge. He had to sit in the trunk space of a car for four hours with 3 other brothers and they could not be visible above the windows. They had to drive 2 hours blindfolded to a nasty strip club.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Goldfish ...

That is all. And Swedish fish
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

No one has mentioned intentional mental hazing. It takes a toll on a chapter.

Initiated member(s), intentionally and continuously giving incorrect/unkind information to their own new members/pledges, can leave NM feeling left out, confused, unwanted. As examples:

Initiated Officer (I.O.) gives new members her incorrect phone number, stating she is "there for you always" but leaving a funny feeling in NM minds when they get the wrong person on the other end of the line (I.O. never does give out a corrected number).

I.O. tells NM to attend Derby Days at Lake Sunshine 2pm Saturday; in reality NM should have been at Sigma Chi parking lot for Derby Days @10am Saturday.

I.O. tells NM there are six beds opening for NM in the house Spring semester--deposit your rent checks now!--when in fact there are no such openings and the whole second floor of the house is being closed Spring semester for repairs to the roof/attic.

I.O., in a serious tone at a NM meeting, mentions someone in NM class is spreading rumors the Chapter President is a lesbian.

Due to this and many other unkind examples a NM class shrank by 40% over the course of a semester. COB the next semester brought a large class, with the same shrinkage result.