GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Iota
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,525
1 members and 2,524 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2004, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

We Are Not A Sorority!!!

We are listed as a sorority, and we should be listed as a fraternity (because that's what we are). How can we contact the managers of the site to have that changed?

****The comment in the parenthesis that I deleted is something that I regret saying because it is not true, and I realized this shortly after I posted it. I deleted it because it was not an intentional part of my message to offend, only to ask why we are not listed as a fraternity. Please read my apology below.

Last edited by RileyAnn_SAI; 06-02-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2004, 03:02 PM

Do you mean in the GC directory?

There are lots of NPC sororities that are really "fraternities" in their official name, but they're all listed under sorority in the directory here. Just so people who don't know better don't get confused, sororities are girls and fraternities are boys. (Except for the co-eds, of course) It's nothing to be upset or offended about.

Edited to add that you might want to be careful how you characterize members of sororities since there are lots and lots and lots of them on this site.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-02-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I doubt you will get it changed.

There are lots of fraternities for women: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Mu, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Chi Omega, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Gamma, Alpha Omicron Pi and Chi Omega are all officially called "fraternities," as are other women's GLOs that don't come to mind right now. They all are very careful to refer to themselves as "Fraternities" (although I can't say that I've ever heard a member of one of the groups refer to a "fraternity sister").

But, when catagorizing GLOs as men's or women's, common parlance is to say "fraternity" and "sorority," regardless of whether the GLO in question actually calls itself a fraternity or a sororirity (or a "society" as a few do). The fact is that anyone looking for SAI -- except perhaps for a member of SAI -- who knows that SAI is a GLO for women is going to look for it under a list of sororities, because they would expect only men's groups to be listed under "fraternities." Same for the other GLOs listed above.

Unless you can get the managers to break the catagories up into "Men's Fraternities," "Women's Fraternities," "Sororities," etc., I wouldn't look for things to change. Sorry.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: We Are Not A Sorority!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RileyAnn_SAI
(I hate being called a sorority... it makes us sound like we're just a bunch of random girls that need an excuse to have parties and get a house)
Hate from within the Greek system?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, but I really pride myself in being a member of a professional fraternity, especially since it focuses on music. The managers of the site should consider breaking the fraternities and sororities into more definate categories, because the majority of people searching for a specific Greek organization are most likely a member or a member-in-training of a fraternity or sorority, so there shouldn't be much (if any) confusion. If anything, it will clear up the existing confusion. And actually, I almost didn't join the forum because I thought it was a mistake, which would show a lack of professionalism. But I can see why they would categorize womens' fraternities as sororities, and even though I don't agree with it, I'm glad I joined, and the site is well done.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
II'm glad I joined....
Always great to have another beautiful sister of Sigma Alpha Iota here on GC. Welcome!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Ginger

Quote:
(I hate being called a sorority... it makes us sound like we're just a bunch of random girls that need an excuse to have parties and get a house)

Hey Riley. It's a small world. I'm a friend of your older (biological) sister Ashley.

And yeah... heed your SAI sister's advice below. Attacking a boards' members is not the right way to start off. I for one am proud to be in my SORORITY, even if we are professional, and even if we do have a music focus.

Last edited by Ginger; 06-02-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Puh-lease. It will be ok. Sorority is not a derogatory term. I'm guessing you're new, and as a sister I want to advise you to be a bit less, shall we say, on the offensive in the future. It helps classify between all male and all female groups.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Riley, steady.

There are many Greeks on Site who are Females and who were started and so named Fraternitys.

It is because of the Fraternalism amongst them selves.

Maybe you should check out some of the sites and posts in cyber world.

If you will ask questions, you will get answers. There are a multitude of people on GC who are willing to help.

All of a sudden you find a small world of people who know others on here that you may know.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-02-2004, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

A necessary apology to my sisters and brothers

This is an apology to everyone:

I'm sorry I made that comment without thinking. It was not an attack on anyone or any Greek organization, and it was completely uncalled for. I was just frustrated, and saying things that are untrue and hurtful. Unfortunately, I cannot undo what I have posted above, but please forgive me for saying something that stupid. You guys are all my Greek sisters and brothers, and I am sorry.

~Riley
Old 06-02-2004, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just want you to know that I went to college where you currently go for two years and I was an officer in my sorority for one of those years. My sorority has had a house for over 100 years, and has been on campus for 130. We are not local and if anything we have more restrictive rules than SAI does. That should give you a good hint as to what house I belong to.

Next time you want to say something like this, show up at a WGC meeting. Just tread carefully, because the Greek Advisor is a member of my sorority that we just initiated.

If you don't know who I am, go ask Justin from Sinfonia if he knows anybody at Marquette. One of your chapter sisters was an RA in my dorm and I never heard anything from her about how ridiculous my organization was. Now please think twice before you badmouth chapters, you never know who else from your school is on GC.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Ginger

Re: Re: We Are Not A Sorority!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
That should give you a good hint as to what house I belong to.
Well, plus it's in your signature

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Now please think twice before you badmouth chapters, you never know who else from your school is on GC.
*sings* It's a small world, after all

Seriously. It's AMAZING how small of a world GC is. It took all of about 2 seconds for me to figure out who the OP was. A friend of mine from college was in a *gasp* sorority at Whitewater and helped found that chapter at Cow College. I think she'd be insulted to hear sororities talked about that way. Let that be a reminder to everyone ... you never know who's listening
Old 06-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Ginger

Re: A necessary apology to my sisters and brothers

Quote:

I'm sorry I made that comment without thinking. It was not an attack on anyone or any Greek organization, and it was completely uncalled for. I was just frustrated, and saying things that are untrue and hurtful. Unfortunately, I cannot undo what I have posted above, but please forgive me for saying something that stupid. You guys are all my Greek sisters and brothers, and I am sorry.

~Riley
It's okay, Riley. I know you are a sweet girl and your comments seemed out of character. It's just so hard to read tone on the internet, and people (myself included) are quick to jump down one another's throats. I hope you stick around and keep posting here.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: A necessary apology to my sisters and brothers

Quote:

~Riley
She said it, she apologized, it's over! Let's leave it at that!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Riley, it's okay, we're all guilty of saying things we don't mean sometimes. And you can fix what you said: click edit, and delete the parts you don't want.

Either way, you're forgiven, and make sure to post here often!