GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,440
0 members and 1,440 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Kappa Sigma Colonizing at Idaho State University

Kappa Sigma Fraternity will be colonizing at Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho the first week of December 2003. It has taken a lot of work to get to this point and we are excited for the future. Just wanted to let you know.

Hopefully I will be a brother soon...I've already put in 2 years of work to this and I haven't even pledged yet! It is all worth it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Re: Kappa Sigma Colonizing at Idaho State University

Congratulations! I am chapter founder myself, if you have any questions, post them or send me a PM.

So what is your situation like? How many new people etc?

And whats the greek system like there?

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigIdahoState
Kappa Sigma Fraternity will be colonizing at Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho the first week of December 2003. It has taken a lot of work to get to this point and we are excited for the future. Just wanted to let you know.

Hopefully I will be a brother soon...I've already put in 2 years of work to this and I haven't even pledged yet! It is all worth it.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

There are only 4 social fraternities and 2 Sororities on campus. We started with 7 guys this semester and are now up to 25. The greek system used to be really big here...but in the 80's the administration did away with all greeks. Now the greeks are finally starting to return and the administration now is very supportive. Thanks for the support!
Old 11-08-2003, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

KSigIdahoState:

I'm very pleased to read of your group's intention to become a Kappa Sigma colony.

It's great that Kappa Sig may finally be coming to Idaho State University. We are the only fraternity at all three other colleges and universities in Idaho with Gree systems (the University of Idaho, Boise State University, and Albertson College). So it has only seemed 'natural' for the past 20 years or more that the Fraternity expand to ISU. If the colony succeeds, we will then have chapters at every school in the State that has a Greek system.

I believe that the foregoing could be a strong selling point for prospective members of the ISU colony and, hopefully thereafter, an ISU chapter.

What are the four fraternities thatare presentlyat ISU? I believe that Delta Sigma Phi is one, but I don't know any of the others. Which fraternities are they, and, in your opinion, how do they stack up against each other at ISU, and how does your present group of 25 compare size-wise with the other four?

Incidentally, if you do become a formal pledge of Kappa Sigma, you will quickly learn that Kappa Sigmas do not refer to themselves in abbreviated form as "K Sigs", but rather as "Kappa Sigs".

Finally, returning to the theme of the first paragraph of this posting, there are presently two States in which Kappa Sig has chapters at every school in the State with a National Interfraternity Conference (i.e., national, as opposed to local) Greek system. Anyone out there know which States they are?

Last edited by stufield; 11-12-2003 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations and good luck with everything - I give you a ton of credit for undertaking such a huge step.

You've certainly chosen the right fraternity - hope everything works out.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you going to tell us lol?

Quote:
Originally posted by stufield

Finally, returning to the theme of the first paragraph of this posting, there is presently one State in which Kappa Sig has chapters at every school in the State with a National Interfraternity Conference (i.e., national, as opposed to local) Greek system. Anyone out there know which one it is?
Old 11-12-2003, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

What does the "lol" at the end of question line mean or stand for?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Web parlance for: "laugh at loud"

LMAO = laughing my ass off

ROFL = rolling on the floor laughing

ITs a way to insert physical language into text *shrug*

Quote:
Originally posted by stufield
What does the "lol" at the end of question line mean or stand for?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Stufield: The fraternities on our campus are Kappa Sigma, Delta Sigma Phi, Kappa Alpha Psi, and Phi Sigma Kappa. The sororities are Tri-Sigma and Alpha Xi Delta.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you sure about Phi Sigma Kappa?

Idaho State is NOT included in the PSK active chapter list, or in its list of colonies.

PSK DID have a chapter (called Phi Triton) at Idaho State, but according to PSK lists it became inactive in 2000. Is that chapter actually still functioning, even thought PSK does not regard it as an active chapter?

In any case, I am sure that your interest group, hopefully soon to be an official colony, should be able to compete very successfully against Delta Sigma Phi and Phi Sigma Kappa, both of which are, at best, 'second tier' fraternities, for new members.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah PSK used to be really big here at Idaho State. They are trying to recolonize right now. They have a lot of alumni support around here and actually the house that we live in used to be the Phi Sig house. Last year in a brochure sent out to incoming freshmen, PSK was on there.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Just thought that I would add that an official date has been set for us to colonize...we will colonize on December 12th and 13th. We are very excited and I hopefully will be able to call each of you a brother soon. Thanks for all the support!
Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

congratulations

On behalf of Xi-Epsilon Chapter (Thiel College, Greenville Pa.), I would like to wish you the warmest of fraternal welcomes. Let us know how everything went, and again, congratulations!
Old 12-17-2003, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

KappaSigIdahoState:

(I just can't bring myself to refer to you as "KSig"; Kappa Sigmas are called Kappa Sigs, not K Sigs).

Congratulations on your colonization. I see that the colony is lnow included in the list of active chapters and colonies on the IMH website.

With your colony, Idaho becomes only the third State in which Kappa Sigma is presently represented at every school in the State with an (inter)national, as opposed to local, Greek system, excluding historically/predominantly African-American schools that have their own Greek systems consisting only of predominantly African-American fraternities. The other States are Mississippi (five schools - Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Misssissippi, Delta State, and Millsaps College) and New Mexico (three schools - New Mexico, New Mexico State, and Eastern New Mexico). Three States out of 50 isn't very good, but it is better than two!! So your colony is especailly significant, and I hope it progresses rapidly to chartering.

Please keep this forum posted on your colony's progress, especially with regard to how you do in rush/recruitment and with your total membership numbers, compared to the other fraternites at ISU.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the support Stufield: Just so you know...KSIG stands for Kappa Sigma Interest Group. I am trying to figure out how to change my user name...if you or anyone knows how please let me know. We had an awesome colonization weekend. It was cool to pledge in 28 guys. It was awesome to get to mingle with our DGM Darrel, and our ARM Mike, and also Matt Bott from IMH. I got elected to GM and our entire EC and colony are very excited for the future. As for our rush for next semester we already have an interest list of 17 guys even before the new semester starts. If everything goes as planned we will have earned our charter by May of this year. So about 4 months away. That is what we are shooting for...if we do that I think that we will have went from a colony to chapter faster than anyone. We are ready to do it and already I can tell that our guys have the dedication to do it. Our goal is to recruit 25 more, quality guys next semester. Thanks again! Also if anyone that reads this has any cool ideas for rush that I can pass on to our GMC that would be great!! Thanks.