GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,831
0 members and 1,831 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKdove View Post
All the "cultural" fraternities/sororities at UCR have worse hazing than other organizations; it's really bad..
Maybe he should've joined Sig Ep, Lambda Chi, Pike, Delts, Phi Psi, or AEPi... they all have one or more gay/bi members in their fraternity and there aren't any problems there. Just saying.
Really? Please learn about organizations outside of your council, refrain from posting hearsay, and rethink such statements.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
The side issues- at least from my perspective- are not important here. They make for good discussion and understanding of different viewpoints, but I do not see how they apply to the immediate situation at hand.
Yes, from your perspective.

Quote:
The young man should have- at his age and having the maturity to know himself so well- made a better choice.
He did make a better choice. He didn't dismiss his hopes of being a member of this fraternity but came forward about the homophobia.

Quote:
What more is there to this story?
You tell us. You're the one who said it was getting complicated.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All the "cultural" fraternities/sororities at UCR have worse hazing than other organizations; it's really bad..
Maybe he should've joined Sig Ep, Lambda Chi, Pike, Delts, Phi Psi, or AEPi... they all have one or more gay/bi members in their fraternity and there aren't any problems there. Just saying.
Uhhh...no.

Quote:
The side issues- at least from my perspective- are not important here. They make for good discussion and understanding of different viewpoints, but I do not see how they apply to the immediate situation at hand.

This young man came into a rush process where he was verbally informed in person and given a pretty big clue in writing that he was not making a good decision.

The organization in question deserves much scorn for their overt recruiting practices in contradiction of national policy, and are to be especially disdained for taking someone who at least one of their member had reason to know was not going to find a good home. Leaving aside being politically correct- if an organization really does have certain unspoken prejudices, then all its members need to adhere to them when recruiting others or risk putting those individuals in a bad position in the here and now.

The young man should have- at his age and having the maturity to know himself so well- made a better choice.

What more is there to this story?

The side conversations were necessary because, like I said earlier, fitting in with your initiating chapter is not always the end goal. You may think it's stupid because your experience was very chapter-focused. Many non-IFC/NPC organizations don't operate that way.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just saying.
Just don't.

If someone joined Sigma Kappa and was subjected to this sort of harassment and hazing, I wouldn't tell them that they should have joined somewhere else, but that our chapter were being homophobic idiots.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

If he wasn't initiated why did he go to the induction ceremony? Is it common among LGLO's to show off their former pledges like this?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
If he wasn't initiated why did he go to the induction ceremony? Is it common among LGLO's to show off their former pledges like this?
It sounds like he was watching the Salute as a general student member.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
It sounds like he was watching the Salute as a general student member.
Check out the story, it's written like he was a participant and that 'failed' pledges were common participants. It struck me as strange too but I don't know enough about it to comment. Unless perhaps it was out of a desire to remain active for the next semester or something...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Check out the story, it's written like he was a participant and that 'failed' pledges were common participants. It struck me as strange too but I don't know enough about it to comment. Unless perhaps it was out of a desire to remain active for the next semester or something...
I agree, the story is poorly written, but when I reread it, I saw the section about him dropping. Dropped pledges don't participate in coming out shows/salutes. Those activities are held to show off newly initiated members.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Banned

Unless it was a true probate which occurs while they are still "on line" and before the coming out show/salute. Perhaps he participated in the show before he dropped, which used to happen all the time when probate shows used to occur when there were "probates."

Going to read the article again. LOL.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't believe that any LGLOs have probates in (what I believe to be) the traditional sense of the word. Most use coming out show/probate interchangeably.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I don't believe that any LGLOs have probates in (what I believe to be) the traditional sense of the word. Most use coming out show/probate interchangeably.
The same can be said about most BGLO chapters.

However, there are LGLO and BGLO chapters that have actual probates, even if just to have their "probates" appear at a campus party or something to that effect. In the 90s, LGLO chapters got away with that more than BGLO chapters did. LOL.

In reading the article again:
Ruiz was at Lambda Theta Phi's "Coming Out" or "New Members Salute" ceremony last March where new inductees--and those who failed to complete the pledging process--were presented to an audience.Ruiz said that members of the audience repeatedly called him a "cock sucker" and said that he liked "disco stick."

I can't understand why those who dropped would participate. It seems like it could be either of two things: 1) those who failed to complete were still "on line" or 2) (and I wouldn't know this much) if there is a ceremony after the induction and coming out show.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMack View Post
You sure are hanging around in the bisexual isle alot

when you going to come out the closet fag
I do believe this is a sock puppet.

I miss the more amusing sock puppets.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMack View Post
You sure are hanging around in the bisexual isle alot

when you going to come out the closet fag
Oh, good. Can we ban you now?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The same can be said about most BGLO chapters.

However, there are LGLO and BGLO chapters that have actual probates, even if just to have their "probates" appear at a campus party or something to that effect. In the 90s, LGLO chapters got away with that more than BGLO chapters did. LOL.

In reading the article again:
Ruiz was at Lambda Theta Phi's "Coming Out" or "New Members Salute" ceremony last March where new inductees--and those who failed to complete the pledging process--were presented to an audience.Ruiz said that members of the audience repeatedly called him a "cock sucker" and said that he liked "disco stick."

I can't understand why those who dropped would participate. It seems like it could be either of two things: 1) those who failed to complete were still "on line" or 2) (and I wouldn't know this much) if there is a ceremony after the induction and coming out show.
Gotcha.

I don't think this instance was a "true" probate, though, because the Salutes are reserved for initiates of Lambda Theta Phi (and Lambda Theta Alpha) as much as letters/calls/etc are.

I think the author was just confused.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Banned

Argh! Confused authors jack up GC discussions. Argh!