GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,418
2 members and 1,416 guests
No Members online

Old 04-06-2013, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Transferring back to 4 year university after going to a community college?

Hi everyone!

Here's a little background to my question: I pledged a sorority at my 4 year university in January and will be initiated in two weeks.

I'm having some personal issues and was considering attending the community college in the same town as my 4 year university for 1 or 2 semesters (hopefuly just one) and was curious if I'll still be allowed to be an "active member" in my sorority able to participate in fundraisers, philanthropies, homecoming, socials, etc.?

Or will I need to go inactive for the semester that I won't be attending the university?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kappa Alpha Theta.
Faith, Hope, Love.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You must be enrolled as a full time student at the university where you are a member to maintain active status. Under the current circumstances, you will be leaving the university and will be granted alumna status. Talk to your chapter president and adviser to determine if you can petition for reinstatement for active status should you return to the university.

Last edited by adpiucf; 04-06-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyeliz View Post
Hi everyone!

Here's a little background to my question: I pledged a sorority at my 4 year university in January and will be initiated in two weeks.

I'm having some personal issues and was considering attending the community college in the same town as my 4 year university for 1 or 2 semesters (hopefuly just one) and was curious if I'll still be allowed to be an "active member" in my sorority able to participate in fundraisers, philanthropies, homecoming, socials, etc.?

Or will I need to go inactive for the semester that I won't be attending the university?

Thanks in advance for your help!
You are pledging an NPC organization, not a local, right? No need to specify which one, it just helps to know which rules apply
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
You are pledging an NPC organization, not a local, right? No need to specify which one, it just helps to know which rules apply
Yes ma'am!

Kappa Alpha Theta.
Faith, Hope, Love.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

There are no locals at UCF. I'm questioning the uncharacteristically long pledge period, but that may have to do with the recent suspension of the UCF Greek System which affected new member education and initiations (the suspension was lifted this week).

OP, are you aware that Valencia is now a four-year state college? In my experience, back when it was an actual community college, people who transferred there did NOT transfer back. Have you considered a smaller school in the State University System of Florida like UNF or UWF? UCF is pretty big, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. I wish you lots of luck with your decision, and encourage you to talk to your new member coordinator and adviser with questions about membership status.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
There are no locals at UCF. I'm questioning the uncharacteristically long pledge period, but that may have to do with the recent suspension of the UCF Greek System which affected new member education and initiations (the suspension was lifted this week).

OP, are you aware that Valencia is now a four-year state college? In my experience, back when it was an actual community college, people who transferred there did NOT transfer back. Have you considered a smaller school in the State University System of Florida like UNF or UWF? UCF is pretty big, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. I wish you lots of luck with your decision, and encourage you to talk to your new member coordinator and adviser with questions about membership status.
The extension of the new member period was indeed due to the suspension.

I transferred to UCF from a school out of state and will be needing to retake a few classes in order to raise my GPA. As they are Gen Ed classes, I would prefer to do them at Valencia for less than half the cost if at all possible as I've already paid for them once.

Kappa Alpha Theta.
Faith, Hope, Love.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

That makes sense. Have you considered taking them over the summer? Plenty of people take summer classes at the state colleges. I'd make sure with admissions that the credits will properly transfer back over to UCF, though; it seems like UCF is loathe to take transfer credits and it would be awful to spend time and money only to have the school tell you that you can't use them.