GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,367
1 members and 2,366 guests
Tridentia
View Poll Results: Who Pays for your socials
The Fraternity 5 23.81%
Both the Fraternity and Sorority 12 57.14%
Other 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Must be nice to have money to throw away on pointless crap. Especially when young alums come on here and say "I have all these t shirts and no idea what to do with them."

We got t shirts for Greek Week and Derby Daze, period - and people paid for them out of pocket (i.e. they didn't have to buy them and they bought them directly from IFC/Panhel or Sigma Chi). I can't imagine if we would have told people their dues were going for t shirts.
The people who have said they had shirts for every event also said that T-shirts were paid for as extra. Unless I misunderstand ASUADPi's post, it reads to me that the shirts are extra, my chapter's were as well. The only shirts that were included were recruitment shirts and maybe 1 or 2 PR Tees a semester pre-recruitment and something in the spring.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

For my chapter we split it 50/50 between the Fraternity and Sorority for socials. We don't do T-Shirts, except on rare occasions, and we pay extra for those. All of the members pay a certain amount to the Social Chair of my chapter each semester, and usually a little more for bigger events like Halloween and Greek Week. We haven't had a formal in 3 semesters so I don't know how that works...yet.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
The people who have said they had shirts for every event also said that T-shirts were paid for as extra. Unless I misunderstand ASUADPi's post, it reads to me that the shirts are extra, my chapter's were as well. The only shirts that were included were recruitment shirts and maybe 1 or 2 PR Tees a semester pre-recruitment and something in the spring.
You are correct about the costs, I missed where she said that.

It's just...unless you are going to have a mixer where the theme is "wear a t-shirt" - why make a t-shirt? It's not like everyone isn't taking 50 trillion pictures to remember it by anyway.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You are correct about the costs, I missed where she said that.

It's just...unless you are going to have a mixer where the theme is "wear a t-shirt" - why make a t-shirt? It's not like everyone isn't taking 50 trillion pictures to remember it by anyway.
holy undead thread batman

It's because people on the whole like T-shirts, I think... Just a crazy guess.

(Also that whole PR thing)
Old 08-03-2011, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL. We had t-shirts for EVERY event. We wore the shirts at the socials unless there was a special dress up theme that made wearing the shirt impractical. It was a campus thing. Every one tried to out do everyone else for best t-shirts. We bought the shirts for each party a la carte. They were usually about $9-12. I had some awesome shirts. Yes, we did drink in shirts with our letters printed on them. I didn't keep a single shirt past med school, though.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
LOL. We had t-shirts for EVERY event. We wore the shirts at the socials unless there was a special dress up theme that made wearing the shirt impractical. It was a campus thing. Every one tried to out do everyone else for best t-shirts. We bought the shirts for each party a la carte. They were usually about $9-12. I had some awesome shirts. Yes, we did drink in shirts with our letters printed on them.
Ditto everything here, except that our shirts were more of a favor after the party/mixer. We never wore them to events unless it was a Campus/Greek wide thing such as Derby Days, Homecoming or Parents Weekend. Generally, we wore them the Monday after the event to class, maybe to just show off how much fun we had that weekend? Who knows. I guess it was just campus culture. I suspect that I bought 8-10 shirts in fall semester and another 5 in spring semester. Every year. Generally, most members bought most shirts.

I passed on some of my shirts since there were so many, but did keep quite a few. A few years after graduation a friend offered to make them into a quilt for me. Many years later this is still my favorite blanket. The backing that she used is so warm, and the t-shirt side is so soft and warn-in. It also helps me to remember all the different things that we did as a chapter. Every now-and-then I come home to find my non-greek husband curled up with it.

As for the topic of the thread, on our campus the fraternities and sororites split the costs for events that were officially co-hosted.