GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,260
1 members and 1,259 guests
speedsters
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that he doesn't seem to understand social conventions so it could be a spectrum issue or just a difference in cultures. He could use some good old southern etiquette classes. He obviously didn't attend cotillion in middle school.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
  • Why did you decide on UW?
  • Years you attended and the Campus culture
  • Did you stay all 4 years?
  • How did the education environment differ from that of your homeland?
  • How you adjusted to the relatively liberal Northwestern United States with your ultra-conservative views
  • Were you more or less combative in your homeland?
  • What was your major and why did you choose it?
  • Where did you move after leaving or graduating?
  • I'm very curious how you became so confrontational. Is it genetic, environmental or by program. You know, the basics.
?
This is inappropriate and overly personal. I'm not unfamiliar with the sluething which happens in this forum and if he answered this, I'm confident that someone could personally identify him. This isn't anyone's business. And the whole genetic thing is beyond the pale.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-12-2020, 04:17 PM

Well considering some of the comments he made about the southern US, I would say it’s tit for tat.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
I don’t know how many international students went through recruitment at UCLA this year, but it’s usually a couple of dozen. And those students have great success in recruitment. Chi Omega usually has at least one international new member each pledge class.
The University of Chicago also likely has international students with successful recruitments, but GC has no regular UofC members to help glean stats. Or do we?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I agree that he doesn't seem to understand social conventions so it could be a spectrum issue or just a difference in cultures. He could use some good old southern etiquette classes. He obviously didn't attend cotillion in middle school.
Hmm. Being a Southern girl, I have to say it's obvious to me that he's not the only one in this forum who didn't go to Cotillion.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
This is inappropriate and overly personal. I'm not unfamiliar with the sluething which happens in this forum and if he answered this, I'm confident that someone could personally identify him. This isn't anyone's business. And the whole genetic thing is beyond the pale.
Thank you.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well considering some of the comments he made about the southern US, I would say it’s tit for tat.
Two wrongs do not make a right.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Hmm. Being a Southern girl, I have to say it's obvious to me that he's not the only one in this forum who didn't go to Cotillion.
I already knew that - or maybe they flunked it!
Old 10-12-2020, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
After the last round of personal attacks I indicated my intent to quit and was personally asked by a "super mod" to remain and give it another chance, which I did.
Whoever this SuperMod is told this account to stay in bad faith. They know this account antagonizes certain posters they hope will go away.

I always felt this poster was actually one of them, or was a personal friend offline, because the way other posters on this site gave the account so much grace very early, with such a low post count? That was weird and telling at the same time.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think telling someone to leave based on the fact that he antagonizes others is a valid stance. Be antagonized. Respond to things or don't. He generated content and interest. He offered up some valid points and other points which just weren't. He posted some profoundly racist memes which were immediately removed. I don't think any of us looks at a post and asks whether it is antagonizing. We look at posts as to whether there's a personal attack or an attack on an argument.

Being from where I'm from, I can appreciate better than a lot of folks just how insular some communities are and how they think parading around town with Trump flags in impromtu parades while tearing down any and all Democrat signage is their patriotic duty. This is really going on in my community. I think dialog with these folks is a better goal than shouting them down or removing them from our lives.

It's hard to look at your signature and agree that everyone gets a fair shake here but I can only speak for myself and my own work, which I hope holds up.

Last edited by Kevin; 10-12-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Whoever this SuperMod is told this account to stay in bad faith. They know this account antagonizes certain posters they hope will go away.

I always felt this poster was actually one of them, or was a personal friend offline, because the way other posters on this site gave the account so much grace very early, with such a low post count? That was weird and telling at the same time.
I completely agree.

The racist jab at Kamala Harris should've been the end but it continued until now and probably will continue as he's said his goodbyes before and then returned.

Edit:

Wait wait wait...if he posted more than one profoundly racist meme (other than the one directed at Kamala Harris) then why was he allowed to stay?

To quote the rules:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

I think that being outright RACIST violates that. Forget the political viewpoint, how was the fact that disgusting and "profoundly racist" memes were posted and were just brushed under the rug. I find it appalling that if any of the more frequent users had done that, they would've been shut up, but a new user does that and nothing happens?

Last edited by content.camille; 10-12-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
He posted some profoundly racist memes which were immediately removed. I don't think any of us looks at a post and asks whether it is antagonizing. We look at posts as to whether there's a personal attack or an attack on an argument.
Again...if anyone else had been profoundly racist, how would they have been treated? Why were racial attacks even allowed?
Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by content.camille View Post
I completely agree.

The racist jab at Kamala Harris should've been the end but it continued until now and probably will continue as he's said his goodbyes before and then returned.

Edit:

Wait wait wait...if he posted more than one profoundly racist meme (other than the one directed at Kamala Harris) then why was he allowed to stay?

To quote the rules:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

I think that being outright RACIST violates that. Forget the political viewpoint, how was the fact that disgusting and "profoundly racist" memes were posted and were just brushed under the rug. I find it appalling that if any of the more frequent users had done that, they would've been shut up, but a new user does that and nothing happens?
Exactly.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I wish we had more tools at our disposal. I really do. We choose between permabans which even we cannot reverse and deletion of all of the user's content or nothing. Those are the two options we have.

I think we've all been second-guessing ourselves as to whether the meme was intended to be racist or whether the poster thought those things were legitimately funny, had utilized them in their bubble many times and never been called out.

Do we want to have dialog and try to get folks to understand the impact of their behavior or do we just cancel them?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
What's "inappropriate" is the fact that you said nothing against his earlier racist antics and now decide to speak up. What's "beyond the pale" is you deciding not to say anything in the fact of "profound racism".

When you choose the first time to not do what's right, it makes all further attempts to speak up against things you don't approve of seem cheap and cheesy.
Closed Thread