GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,500
0 members and 2,500 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Ideas for a Campus Wide Philanthropy Event

Hey all, I'm a member of my campus' Inter-Greek Council and we're trying to figure out what to do for our next campus wide philanthropy event. Last semester we had a carnival with alright turnout considering this was our first try, we're hoping to improve for this upcoming semester but we're having trouble coming up with ideas, should we stick with the same idea and try for a better turn out or should we change things up a bit?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

A golf tournament would be kinda fun.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Hey all, I'm a member of my campus' Inter-Greek Council and we're trying to figure out what to do for our next campus wide philanthropy event. Last semester we had a carnival with alright turnout considering this was our first try, we're hoping to improve for this upcoming semester but we're having trouble coming up with ideas, should we stick with the same idea and try for a better turn out or should we change things up a bit?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
As far as a carnival, I think that it can be kind of boring, because by design, it's all pretty passive. Ride a ferris wheel, eat, walk around, throw darts at balloons, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
A golf tournament would be kinda fun.
Along the same vein, but because I think much fewer people play golf than who do not, how about a mini-golf tournament? (Everyone thinks they rock at mini golf!). You can set up teams and move up in the ranks until one team remains (teams can be a foursome from any recognized campus organization). You can also do a tourney-style competition with badminton, horseshoes, or something "easy" to play. People will stay not only until their team/group is eliminated, but also in the spirit of competition, stay to see who wins.

Or, if you don't have something similar (like during Greek Week), you can also do different games, like water balloon toss, egg races, three-legged race - stuff you'd do at your elementary school's "field day", though this redistributes people all over, versus having a single-event tournament that people will "stick around" for until the winner is announced.

Competitions are a lot of fun. You can charge for admission, charge to compete, sell refreshments.

Whatever you choose, try to make sure that "everyone" can participate in some way (competitors; organizers - logistics, PR/advertising; physical set-up/breakdown; day-of attendants - judges, food/drink stand; "event staff"; entertainment (I'm sure that there are some bands among the student population); etc.

This makes me want to go back to college lol.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both so much, I'll bring up your ideas at our next meeting.

~Binx

Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

At VT, we have something called Greeks Giving Back. It's more service oriented than geared towards raising money. It revolves around all the chapters doing some sort of volunteer work in the local community. Typically yard work for seniors, stuff like that.