GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,370
0 members and 1,370 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

New Fraternity, New Social Director

So I am new the the overall Greek Life. I just go initiated in January.We have been around for three years and are still a colony. I was named Social director. One of the biggest complaints of the brothers is that we don't do anything. There are only about 25 of us. The smallest sorority on campus in about 100 so its kind of difficult to set up events with them.

Basically My goal is to improve brotherhood and increase our presence on campus. In the fall we are getting a pretty significant sized house on Greek Row so I really want to utilize that. I would like to know any suggestions on small to largish events I can throw.

Also I have noticed social directors only really throw like formals, is it normal for a social chair to organize these smaller events and will it seem strange to other organizations when i contact them for these small events?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2013, 01:50 AM

Other groups might have a chair who is responsible for mixers/swaps/whatever you call them only. Ask the other fraternities on your campus. Also, ask one of the other smaller fraternities on campus if they would like to go in on a double mixer with you.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Excellent idea from 33Girl. I've heard of this on many campuses, particularly for things like Homecoming events, Greek Week, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was an undergrad, I was in the largest fraternity on campus. At our largest, about 68-72, the largest sorority was just hitting the 30-35 mark. So, to balance out the sausage fest (and following 33girl's advice), that sorority actually invited one of their nearby chapters to mix with us as well.

By the way, the event we did that night, which I got from GC, was $5 Prom.

There's plenty you can do, though, outside of formals: bonfires, grill outs, outdoor games or lawn game Olympics, trip to the beach or an apple orchard or whatever is norm around you, and a billion different mixer themes.

Seriously, this thread is a gem for ideas: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ht=Mixer+ideas

ETA: If you don't have a fantastic relationship with any of the sororities, try not to plan an event where you can't force any mixing. For example, volleyball is good because you can mix the teams. Bonfires, though, may not go as well because everyone will stick to themselves if no one knows anyone else.

Last edited by pshsx1; 05-15-2013 at 12:55 PM.