GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,481
0 members and 2,481 guests
No Members online

Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I just thought this article would interest you..

Sorority girls recruited for American Idol’s mosh pit

The New York Times finally got around to reporting from an American Idol 7 taping, and found that the show “is as scripted as a ‘reality’ show dare be.” That sentence is a bit reality-challenged itself, as among the paper’s shocking discoveries are that the audience is instructed to give a standing ovation for every performance, and those in the pseudo-mosh pit are instructed to clap with their hands above their heads. Ooh, clapping.
However, there are some interesting details. For example, stage manager Debbie Williams revealed the (not exactly unsurprising) reason why the viewer call-in segments are not live: “We pretape it because we’re afraid somebody might say something bad,” she told the audience. That’s too bad, because with an element of drama, that segment might actually be interesting instead of coma-inducing.
But perhaps the most interesting revelation is that producers actively recruit sorority girls to stock the audience, and then strategically place them where cameras will see them. “They are recruited,” and “[s]tage assistants choose specific women and place them where the hand-held cameras will swoop during performances,” according to the Times. “In early April it was the turn of the women of Alpha Phi, a sorority at the University of California, Los Angeles. About 25 members trekked to the studio one Tuesday, said Rachel Lorack, a member from Half Moon Bay, Calif., and another two dozen were to attend the following week. Last week it was the Delta Gamma and Delta Delta Delta sororities.”
One sorority sister, Courtney Lauwereins, said, “We sometimes talk about this at rush. Join Alpha Phi, and you might get to go to ‘American Idol.’” And just being downwind from Paula Abdul’s Coca-Cola cup probably delivers as much alcohol to the brain as a keg party, so it’s a win-win.
American Idolatry: If Only Reality Were This Well Organized [New York Times]

share, save, or e.mail this + link to this post
posted Apr. 22, 2008 at 8:20 AM by Andy Dehnart

<http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/american_idol_7/2008_Apr_22_sorority_girls>
Amazon.com Widgets
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2008, 02:33 PM

It's not uncommon for shows to do this. When I was in school we drove up to L.A. for a taping of Comedy Central's Premium Blend. The chapter got paid but I don't know how much.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in my day, gameshows used to come to the sorority houses and advertise for contestants
Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems that nothing ever amazes me many more and wonder why?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanWoman View Post
Back in my day, gameshows used to come to the sorority houses and advertise for contestants
Another reason life in California is not the same as reality! LOL!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I hear you! I definitely paid for one of my spring break trips with my winnings from a game show!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenriv View Post
And just being downwind from Paula Abdul’s Coca-Cola cup probably delivers as much alcohol to the brain as a keg party, so it’s a win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I love it! Only in California, would the possibility of television face time serve as a recruitment tool! If only the "competitive SEC" could claim THAT!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This is not that uncommon for TV shows and movies. I have a bunch of friends, both non-Greek and Greek, that often get jobs as extra. I actually had a friend and fellow sister at another school that was an extra in the Amanda Bynes sorority movie (The name is escaping me at this moment!)

Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
This is not that uncommon for TV shows and movies. I have a bunch of friends, both non-Greek and Greek, that often get jobs as extra. I actually had a friend and fellow sister at another school that was an extra in the Amanda Bynes sorority movie (The name is escaping me at this moment!)

Syndey White, a reteling of Snow White. A really cute movie if you ask me.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
It's not uncommon for shows to do this. When I was in school we drove up to L.A. for a taping of Comedy Central's Premium Blend. The chapter got paid but I don't know how much.
Yep, all the chapters on my campus used to go to TV tapings, too.