GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,370
1 members and 2,369 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 09-23-2005, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

U Ala taking DKE house

Thu, Sep. 22, 2005

Oldest UA fraternity to lose house in stadium expansion

Associated Press

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The oldest fraternity at the University of Alabama will have to move when its house is demolished to make way for the university's football stadium.

Delta Kappa Epsilon social fraternity is in the way of a plaza that will connect an expanded Bryant-Denny Stadium to University Boulevard.

"The front door of the stadium is directly behind our house," John McNeil, adviser of the DKE house corporation, said. "There's nothing you can do about that."

The university is moving the fraternity across the street, displacing the university police department that will have a temporary home for at least two years. The university owns the land fraternity and sorority houses sit on, leasing it to the house corporations for $100 a year.

Leases give the university power to move the houses, and McNeil said university officials could have demolished the house without negotiating with DKE.

"Dr. Witt has been unbelievably cooperative," he said. "He understands, and so does the university, that when you look at the books of who gives to the university, the huge majority are alumni of Greek organizations."

According to "The History of the University of Alabama," by James Sellers, DKE was established at the university in 1847 and moved on campus in 1914.

Senior athletics director Finus Gaston said the university wants the plaza leading to the stadium finished when the expanded stadium opens in fall 2006, though no designs or contracts have been approved.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

another bit of history gone. how sad.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

$100 rent is amazing! I wish I could get that for my apartment! At least this school realizes where the alumni donations come from. Some other schools need to realize this as well.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

They relocated the Pi Phi House, which was practically under the bleachers, a few years back--and boy, did we get a great house in return!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...

I'm jealous - that is a REAL Greek-friendly campus...

If only they all realized what a big thing Greeks are to campuses...
Old 09-24-2005, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
My school has like 90% of it's foundation thanks to greeks....but they still screw us at every opportunity.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm surprised something like that wouldn't be considered a historical landmark...
Old 09-24-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deegeecutie
I'm surprised something like that wouldn't be considered a historical landmark...

While this may be a possiblity, it may be a boon for DKE!

Legalities were covered and unless it was on Historical Records, it is up for Big Ball! Boom Crash!

The STG House at PSU is Historical as Being Ex-Pres. House. They are going to have to move out, but the School is working with them. That is What should be done between Schools and Greeks.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-24-2005, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up in Tuscaloosa. This has been in the works for a few years. Granted that for the past year or so most of us thought that it would not happen because the university had backed off building the plaza. But lo and behold it has happened.
DKE will get an awesome house because they have some of the best alum support of any house on campus. Several guys i grew up with are in the house and though they seem sad about losing the landmark of a house they know what they are getting in their new house because they see what Pi Phi got when this happened to them.

And not to mention DKE is lucky that they university understands their desire to stay on old fraternity row and they only have to move across the street to where the campus police are currently.

This will benefit them with most houses undergoing major renovations and additions currently or in the future, if they already done so in recent times.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NebraskaDelt
$100 rent is amazing! I wish I could get that for my apartment! At least this school realizes where the alumni donations come from. Some other schools need to realize this as well.
They had to pay to build the house(probably millions adjusted for inflation) and now they wont have any equity. What is amazing about that?

Last edited by madmax; 09-26-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HoosierPhiSig
Re: U Ala taking DKE house

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

The university is moving the fraternity across the street, displacing the university police department that will have a temporary home for at least two years.
on the bright side...

DKE -1
Police - 0

lol