GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 889
0 members and 889 guests
No Members online

Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

SFSU Student Filmed While Accosting Another Student re "Cultural Appropriation"

Quote:
n Francisco State University said Tuesday it was investigating an incident captured on video in which a black woman confronted a white man on campus for wearing dreadlocks.

In a video posted on YouTube on Monday, the man and woman can be heard arguing in a hallway about his hair.

"You're saying that I can't have a hair style because of your culture? Why?" the man said.

"Because it's my culture," she said.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...329-story.html

--Are dreadlocks a good example of cultural appropriation?

--Who was in the right?

--Is it justifiable to put hands on someone you believe has committed a microaggression?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-30-2016, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Shouldn't good taste apply? I'm not a fan of dreadlocks, but they look especially goofy on white people. No, she's not allowed to verbally assault him over it, but also no, he should stop being a huge dork and just wash his hair. Nobody is shocked, you're not being counter-culture, you're not making a political statement. You're just a dorky white guy who looks like he's trying to hard to not try.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm from and reside in Oklahoma. I don't know if I've ever seen dreadlocks on a white person--at least in person. I thought this might be a fairly common hairstyle on the west coast? No judgment. I hear they like cargo shorts out there too.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-30-2016, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Anne Lamott.

She's written about her dreads and her church has no problem with her hairstyle. This is IMO much ado about nothing.

Judge not...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

I know a man and a woman, both white and living out west, who have dreads and who would've probably punched this woman in the face if she'd come after them. Thinking about it--who cares how other people look? Should black people only wear African clothing? Should I never wear my Guatemalan shirt? Should my adopted Asian daughters not wear American and European styles?
Old 03-30-2016, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...329-story.html

--Are dreadlocks a good example of cultural..... They're not an example of her culture, unless she is from Ancient Greece, between the 6th and 8th centuries BC. That was the earliest reference I could find to the wearing of dreadlocks.

--Who was in the right? She was being an idiot. He was in the right. He was wearing his hairstyle of choice, and it had nothing to do with her. She had no right to accost him.

--Is it justifiable to put hands on someone you believe has committed a microaggression? No. A "microaggression" is in the perception of the person taking offense. If she perceived his stupid hairstyle as aggressive toward her, that was her own issue. Accosting someone and putting your hands on them because YOU have decided they deserve it is not acceptable nor legal.
See answer above.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Shouldn't good taste apply? I'm not a fan of dreadlocks, but they look especially goofy on white people. No, she's not allowed to verbally assault him over it, but also no, he should stop being a huge dork and just wash his hair. Nobody is shocked, you're not being counter-culture, you're not making a political statement. You're just a dorky white guy who looks like he's trying to hard to not try.
Are you kidding?? NO, "good taste" as determined by anyone other than the wearer, does not apply. If he wants to look like this, it is HIS choice. I don't like dreads on anyone, but this is nothing but my flea bitten opinion. Whatever his reasons for wearing this hairstyle are his alone. The style might effect his life when dealing with other people, but it is HIS choice.

She had absolutely no right to say anything to him, question or berate him, much less grab his arm several times. She is lucky he didn't punch her.

I am surprised at your comment, DubaiSis.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

According to Wikipedia this is the historical background of dreadlocks. Seems to have crossed numerous cultures and religions over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks

DaffyKD
Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

I've a lot of white people wearing them (Grateful Dead concert, anyone?), but am not a fan. HOWEVER, not being part of the style police, I don't think there's anything culturally wrong in someone of any race wearing them.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Cultural appropriation is a real thing, and while it is complicated to determine exactly what is appropriation vs. appreciation/sharing, and/or the consequences thereof, it's really disappointing to see (white) people on this thread dismiss it wholesale.

Of course she had no right to lay her hands on him, but it would be nice if you at least tried to understand why a WoC would see this as a microaggression.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of person obsesses over what someone else is wearing, as long as it's not grossly obscene?

I just now turned around and asked 3 of my (adopted) Asian daughters and the Hispanic one about this and showed them the story. They thought the woman was a jerk and commented that if the guy had grabbed at her, the cops would've been all over him. OK, Hispanic SIL just wandered over and agreed with them.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Are you kidding?? NO, "good taste" as determined by anyone other than the wearer, does not apply. If he wants to look like this, it is HIS choice. I don't like dreads on anyone, but this is nothing but my flea bitten opinion. Whatever his reasons for wearing this hairstyle are his alone. The style might effect his life when dealing with other people, but it is HIS choice.

She had absolutely no right to say anything to him, question or berate him, much less grab his arm several times. She is lucky he didn't punch her.

I am surprised at your comment, DubaiSis.
I SAID taste should apply. And you can't legislate that. The guy can dress absolutely as dorky as he wants. But he'll still look like a dork.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are college kids so overly sensitive these days? This is stupid, but not as stupid at the "pained" kids at Emory. Are they really this upset or is this just kids looking for things to bitch about, just to bitch about? And yes, I'm referring to them as kids because I don't think they are acting adult like at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ger-feel-safe/
Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Cultural appropriation is a real thing, and while it is complicated to determine exactly what is appropriation vs. appreciation/sharing, and/or the consequences thereof, it's really disappointing to see (white) people on this thread dismiss it wholesale.

Of course she had no right to lay her hands on him, but it would be nice if you at least tried to understand why a WoC would see this as a microaggression.
What a load of absolute crap.

And I say that with lots and lots of microaggression.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Anne Lamott.

She's written about her dreads and her church has no problem with her hairstyle. This is IMO much ado about nothing.

Judge not...
Well, OBVIOUSLY we all know what a horrible, awful, person Anne Lamott is . . .