GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,465
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, EmilOrtiz4
» Online Users: 2,117
1 members and 2,116 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-21-2005, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: You Might Be A Grad Student If. . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

You just might be a graduate student if...

...professors don't really care when you turn in work anymore.

Personally, this might not be true. I think that I got big points taken off due to turning in a paper 2 days late. My final grade was a lot lower than I expected. I didn't fail, but I will be taking the class over again.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Re: Re: You Might Be A Grad Student If. . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amgn253
Quote:
[i]Personally, this might not be true. I think that I got big points taken off due to turning in a paper 2 days late. My final grade was a lot lower than I expected. I didn't fail, but I will be taking the class over again.
Really??? Wow, that's no good. One of the things that really surprised me about grad school was that the professors didn't much care whether you turned stuff in on time as long as you got it in eventually, but it's better not to 'cause if you get behind...whew.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Dionysus: what school you at? I am going into student affairs too and am dead set that a state school is the way to go for an MS.
What is the program you are in and what is your focus area going to be?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: You Might Be A Grad Student If. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by amgn253
Personally, this might not be true. I think that I got big points taken off due to turning in a paper 2 days late. My final grade was a lot lower than I expected. I didn't fail, but I will be taking the class over again.
I emailed the teacher and it turns out my final grade reported in this class was incorrect. Whew!! I won't have to retake the class, and I got the grade I deserved!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

The guilt for relaxing thing is sooo true!!!

I'm in the middle of my second year of medical school, and every time I "take a night off" I drive myself crazy thinking about what I should be doing! Oh well, two more months until board exam...and then into the clinic I go for rotations!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BaylorBean
1. I am currently half way through my 4th year, and have probably another 1.5-2 years to go. We take all of our classes our first year. You can take more later if you want but that is more for if there is a class specific to your research topic.

2. I did go directly from undergrad. At time's I'm glad I did, others I really regret it.

3. I skipped my Masters and am going directly with a PhD

4. I get a stipend but it is just enough to live on so I did end up taking loans out. In the end I hope no more than $35,000
You and I need to talk. I am a Post-Doc in MoBo -- I work with knockouts, some culture work, I am a "jack of all trades"--my specialty is now aging with diabetes. And about to transition into a faculty postion in my current location... PM me.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-12-2006, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dznat187
for those of you in or have been in grad school:
1. how long did it take you and how many classes a semester?
2. Did you go to grad school directly from undergrad?
3. did you or do you plan to go directly to doctorate work?
4. And how much debt are you in after all of this?
1. I got a MS and a Ph.D. Didn't have to get the MS, but went for it anyway to prove a point. Now, I have no energy to fight for what I believe in anymore. It's all rather pointless to me at this time...
2. I went to grad school directly after undergrad... Hindsight is always 20/20, but I prolly should I worked after undergrad and waited...
3. I's fureed, I's got my freedom papers and I thanked massa--I mean those white men that fureed me--I mean handed me my degrees... That's the way it is in the sciences... Wait till you really write NIH formatted grants...
4. No monetary debt, just life experience debt--the independence thing I neglected to learn in my 20's and now I am learning in my late 30's--without kids.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
You and I need to talk. I am a Post-Doc in MoBo -- I work with knockouts, some culture work, I am a "jack of all trades"--my specialty is now aging with diabetes. And about to transition into a faculty postion in my current location... PM me.
I finally PMed you! Sorry it took a bit, I was at our department retreat.