GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 858
0 members and 858 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2005, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Salary Requirement

Sorry if this was already a discussion, I didn't run a search...

How exactly is an entry-level person supposed to handle the "salary requirement" question. I just applied for a job that is not listed on salary.com, and it's in Atlanta. I need to make enough to pay for the apartment, car, and student loan, which brings me up to $30,000, but honestly since it's a 9-5 job and a GREAT opportunity, if they'd offer, say, $25,000 I could get a part time job to make up the difference if I had to. I don't want to say this to them if they would actually give me the $30,000 + that I need, but I don't want to lose the job (which, might I add, I'm quite perfect for) because I listed my salary requirements too high.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

How about doing research on monsters.com or careerbuilders.com to find similar jobs in your area and see what their entry-level salaries are? Compare and contrast and it'll give you a better idea of what you're worth...

Also, don't undercut your salary for fear that the company won't hire you. Once you've determined comparible salaries, then ask for what you're worth...if the company REALLY wants you, then they'll negotiate salary!!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I usually ask for the "competitive rate" the agency is offering if this is requested in the cover letter. I agree with doing a search regarding what the average salary is for what you are applying for in YOUR AREA. Salaries obviously vary around the country. I also gotta say as an aside for everyone, please do not post your expected salary on your resume. And for the love of God, if you are applying for a SOCIAL WORKER position and you barely have a BA degree do NOT write on the top of your resume "I am requesting to start at $80,000 per year". I swear, we got a resume from some woman this past week that said that. I don't think the agency ADMINISTRATORS make that much!!!! (Which also goes along with make sure you have the experience and credentials for what you are applying for.........but hey, that's another topic right?).
Old 02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard of this woman asking for $60,000 with only a high school degree to do something that they usually hire college kids to do... give me a break!

Anyway, the problem is I really can't find anything that similar, and the most similar one says the low end is $38,000... That seems a bit high... After all, I do only have a Bachelor of Arts and it states in the job description that this is an entry-level position. I ended up writing a range from $32,000-$37,000. The problem is that I've applied for SO many jobs that I think are SO perfect for me (and I for them), and have ended up not getting them... I'm getting VERY discouraged!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
I heard of this woman asking for $60,000 with only a high school degree to do something that they usually hire college kids to do... give me a break!

Anyway, the problem is I really can't find anything that similar, and the most similar one says the low end is $38,000... That seems a bit high... After all, I do only have a Bachelor of Arts and it states in the job description that this is an entry-level position. I ended up writing a range from $32,000-$37,000. The problem is that I've applied for SO many jobs that I think are SO perfect for me (and I for them), and have ended up not getting them... I'm getting VERY discouraged!
Please...please....PLEASE....don't discount yourself because "you only have a Bachelor's!!" I hear this WAY too often! You earned that degree and are worth everything that goes with it...if the competitive market rate is $38,000, then go for it!!!! I know BA candidates that are making much more than that (although it's not in your geographic location), so it goes to show that BA degrees are worth something...

Like I said, you are worth only as much as you think you are!!!

I knew one girl who just graduated from college...she was ready to quit her job when she approached her boss and said that the only way she'd stay is if he doubled her salary....and he did it!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

For salary questions on paper I always put "negotiable" down, but when in person I give them a ball park figure a little higher than what I'll take but tell them I'm still willing to negotiate depending on their interest. And I've never not gotten a job that I've interviewed for-always for the cost we negotiated together.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
This thread depresses me. Yay for being a teacher and starting at 28k and it not being flexible.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:33 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128
This thread depresses me. Yay for being a teacher and starting at 28k and it not being flexible.
Hey you should coach like me so that you can work an EXTRA 40+hours per week for 3,000 more per year!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

When I left County Mental Health, I had another job opportunity opening up to me...there was the time in which salary negotiation had to take place. The potential employer asked me what my last salary was. Upon telling him (and I was VERY honest), he realized that his initial offer was about $14,000 less and I wouldn't have taken it. We kept on negotiating until we came to an agreeable amount.

It was a grueling process, but I'm making good money for what I do and know that even my current position is temporary until my own life-long ambitions come to fruition.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

It sucks though because in my field there is very little room for negotiation, like teaching I'd imagine. My agency thinks they are all cool and what not with offering employees $2000 a more a year to work TWO positions. They actually tried that one with me over the summer and that is why I decided to just go for the one position. I am thinking though that at the end of our fiscal year, and if they don't hire another Social Worker, I *may* be able to ask for a little more at least, being I am doing the work of two Social Workers anyways............
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

I like to put dollar bills in a blender and pour it all over myself.

I have a high salary requirement because of that.

-Rudey
Old 02-02-2005, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, at my job right now I'm SUPPOSED to be getting 44 hours+ per week and I'm on hourly. It sounded like a good deal at the time, but now my boss has cut me WAY back on hours (like, 37 or 38 per week... nice to have time to myself, but not so great for paying the bills!) and my hourly wage is less than what some secretaries make. RIDICULOUS! Anyway, so if anyone knows of any opportunities in the Charlotte or Atlanta area in nonprofits, particularly in the arts, please let me know. I'm thinking about going back to get my masters in nonprofit administration, because noone seems to want me right now. :-(
Old 02-02-2005, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe after doing some research you can give them a range.. like $35,000-$45,000. it doesn't have to be an exact number like $34,234 ... and it shows a little bit more flexibility?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Carolina... I'm in a similar boat as you are. I've only been an hourly employee. Never had a guaranteed salary in my life.

But like someone said above, I have been putting negotiable on all "salary requirement" questions just because I really have NO idea what to put.

Though I don't understand hourly position applications that ask for salary requirements... especially when they intend on just paying minimum wage anyway.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
Though I don't understand hourly position applications that ask for salary requirements... especially when they intend on just paying minimum wage anyway.
When I first started out at my current company I was on salary & didn't start at minimum wage, actually $8.75. Moved up to $14.51 before they moved me to salary. Not everyone plans to start at minimum wage-just depends on the industry I guess.