GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,921
0 members and 1,921 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2002, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah Lyrelyre I say "pretty sure" to mean certain all the time. I'm pretty sure I do it in every other sentence, haha!
We all say Uh, No (you have to yell the No) instead of saying just no, ya know we think we sound funny or something.
We call ourselves A Chi Ho (just cause we're most definately not Ho's and we think it's funny) and so whenever a group of us go to a party or something we'll be like "the ho train has arrived!". It's actually funny though it sounds bad right now.
We dropped the y on sketchy and we just say sketch. Like, that smells way sketch. Or, our house mom last year was a little sketch! (And ya know that one's true, right Mairin!)
We use the word dude an absurd amount. I call everyone dude. I'll be saying goodbye to one of my sisters and I'll be like later dude or it could be my boyfriend and I'd say the same thing. Or we'll be like damn dude! Like an exclamation of surprise or something along those lines.
I'm pretty sure that there are others but I can't really think over cause they seem so normal to me I never stop to think that other people don't talk this way, haha.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I thought of a few others:

"box moment"....a moment, usually when taking pictures when all the girls have these cheesy smiles on in cute poses...these pictures usually end up in "the box" which is a hall way with pictures of all the greek organizations.

"i.e."...used as an example or to illustrate a point... "that girl is a hooch, i.e. she is wearing shorts up her butt!"

"stirer"....came from the phrase "stir the pot" it is used for people who like to cause controversy. "I feel the need to be a stirer tonight!"

"flying pheramones"....when its all girls talking at the exact same time and totally understanding what everyone is saying.

" I was that girl/guy".....someone who got a little out of control or did something "random" or "shady".

"hoochie ways"....this can be used in pretty much any context when someone is acting inappropriately...."that girl and her hoochie ways by getting all up on that guy"...."that girl and her hoochie ways wearing too much makeup and skanky clothes"..."that girl and her hoochie ways by starting all this controversy"....ect.

ok, so i tried to put all of this together....
Apparently, last night during rush practice Maggie was trying to create some box moments, but it was totally flying pheramones in there! And then Amy the stirer came in and was totally acting like "that girl", ie. she was causing lots of controversy with her hoochie ways.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

hehe, I thought of a couple more, too.

ghetto: pertains to anything broken-down or trashy looking that may belong in a ghetto. An example: "My old car was so ghetto because I had to keep the passenger side mirror on with duct tape." This can also apply to sketchy or skanky people.

"I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so...scared.": This is from the infamous episode of Saved By The Bell where Jessie takes the caffiene pills (or diet pills, whatever they were).

doot-da-do: This was actually started by this skeevy guy that no one can stand, but it caught on somehow. It usually means something like "duh" but is also said during long pauses in conversation or it is used as an interjection. Example: "I totally ran into that pole in the basement, and I was like, 'doot-da-do, no one saw that'."
Old 07-11-2002, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
I'm pretty sure sketchy is an all-over term cause everyone I know uses it and I've never been to the New England area. I usually just say sketch though....i say "son" and "kid" a lot too in reference to people.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 07-11-2002, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Edition II

back with some more ball state, sig kap, (and probably all over), stuff...

like was said before - -

*bunk
*jank

what else...

*foreal?! - - more like 'fo-rill' than 'for real'

*going to see letterman - - going to sig chi... david letterman was a sig chi at our school

*i know, right? - - who doesnt say that??

*don't be one - - don't be that girl or that guy

*don't get all -- used however..don't get crazy, dont get lippy, dont whatever

*"fat girl!!" - - this sounds really mean, but let me explain... we get along with just about every organization on campus, except one sorority in particular....well......they think they re big bad asses (theyre not) ...and while a lot of them are overweight, they call US Sigma Cattle (Kappa)....but we're all real easy going and have good senses of humor so whenever we'd see a girl with XYZ letters on, we'd be like 'HEY FAT GIRL!!' to whoever we were with.. theyd over hear us and get pissy...then it just grew on us, so everyones a fat girl, lol

*kid - - i call EVERYONE kid...or kiddo

*"OK Anita" - - hate to say it, but you know that one girl that no one had a thing against but nobody particularly liked?? well anita was that girl..i mean, she wasnt all bad.. iwent to high school with her too so i knew her a little better than everyone else... but still, she had a habit of saying some REALLY stupid things, and doing things even worse....so sometimes wehn people do something dumb, "OK Anita" usually comes out of someones mouth

ok thats all for now.. more to come im sure
Old 07-11-2002, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

my friends tend to call all hot girls "sluts" wether they are or not, its no longer derogatory around us because we know that it just means we are looking especially hot that night...some guys I know do it too, I just think it's funny....
Old 07-11-2002, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SoExited@FSU
Talking shady sketchy and random

I dunno about New England, guys- I've lived in South FL my whole life and we've said all that since high school! (We just usually shorten sketchy to just plain sketch...)
Old 07-11-2002, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nwsigkap
Talking more fun stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by ROWDYsister

Is that in reference to the 69 Boys song? I've always wondered what that line is..."She ain't nothin but a hoochie mama..." Hoodrat...I thought it was either "hump that" or "hung right"
yeppers! At least I think they're saying hoodrat!

Quote:
My friends Danielle and Amandine have this thing that when they argue they resort to name calling. They take turns..."Skank" "Ho" "Slut" "Tramp" and so on, and whoever gets to say "Trick" wins!
My really close friends and I do that ALL the time!!! Sometimes we'll add in the name of a person we're not too fond of! In my hometown we do it too, and we call it the name game (and usually people's names are used more often than ho and stuff). We had the name of this one really big skank girl that was our winning word...but I can't remember who it was anymore!

Quote:
Good both ways!
Of course!

To whoever said they use gettho all the time, I do that too...often as a replacement word for skank or shit. examples...
*That ghetto car of mine
*She has some ghetto hair
*I'm feeling rather ghetto today

Another thing I realized we do is that we tend to quote eachother's dumbest lines all the time, and they eventually turn into slang. It seems like we're always giving each other shit (all in fun and with love...no meanness meant at all)!

I really think I should start a slang dictionary for all the stuff we say. It would be so funny looking back 25 years down the road at it! My sorority has some very sarcastic girls (myslef included) so it would be a rather large dictionary...maybe something we could pass a copy down to every year and have new additions!

And oh yes, one last one...how could I forget the ever popular "check ya later" or check ya" instead of "see you later" or "see ya"!!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lil_ChiO_Lady
we have our "spirit keg" and spirit sprinkler" were we tap a keg and spread it around(just hand motions) or a sprinkler..we are really stupid and ghetto so it is just funny and pumps us up..
Also if someone is making us mad or being an idiot we say "Youuuuu ...Motherf$@&*#!"

More sayings are:Random, badass,sucks for you,Play it off....I just heard a new one" your outta luck like chuck",lmao...and if your late your on "Greek Time" ...Ohh and a few of us use the sorority lingo "like" for every sentence.I have even caught myself saying it more and more..It's contagious

Psi Zeta Chapter

Last edited by Lil_ChiO_Lady; 07-12-2002 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:20 AM

Chapter sayings here @ Tri Sigma

*"You suck at life"-

Example:
Ashlea: "Did you call Dave tonight?
Jess: No
Ashlea: "You suck @ life" - used sarcastically of couse

*"Peaced out"

Example: "Ashlea peaced out on Go Greek Night early b/c she had to work."

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-07-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
*We use the standard "We're on DZ TIME" because we're late.. not like 5 minutes or whatev.. like 20-30, sometimes an hour late.

*We use "Sketchy" a lot.. and

*"I'm not impressed with your behavior" -we use that ALL the time..

..trying to think of others..
Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I wished I'd written down some of them. I remember the TKEs used to use "hopped" for shacked with - as in the time I let a nice visiting Nebraska TKE walk me home from a party, and they all wanted to know the next day "D'ja hop that Husker?"

They also used the British term "NAF", which = sad, pathetic, (they claimed it stood for "Needs a Friend")

The only one I remember from my own sorority was the "L" handsignal - as in "why are you dancing with the Loser" or "for god's sake, come rescue me from this Loser"
Old 09-07-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Quote:
Originally posted by PlymouthDZ
*We use the standard "We're on DZ TIME" because we're late.. not like 5 minutes or whatev.. like 20-30, sometimes an hour late.
We use that too... except it's Chi Delta time. Being fashionably late seems to be our thing. Even though it shouldn't be.

"Random" is also part of our vocab.

ETA: Because after reading the guestbook over and over again on our site, the phrase "Good times" seems to be the thing to say in our chapter. And any variation of the phrase. ("Awesome times" comes to mind.)

Last edited by chideltjen; 09-13-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's see... my chapter uses "tool" alot to describe dense, meatheaded fraternity men

we also like to jokingly say "disowned" to our littles

unacceptable is also a popluar one

P.S.

we also have this thing where we will "hair flip" people when someone makes fun of you or whatever you say "I hair flip you" and flip your hair and turn your head as if you're ignoring them.

We also have private chapter nicknames for some of the boys that they don't know about.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Hahaha...we definitely use APO Time too. (15-30 minutes late)