GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,434
3 members and 2,431 guests
Cookiez17, John, Tridentia

Old 12-15-2001, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000

Here in Australia, they say DODGY for sketchy!
Here in Canada, "little shite" (rhymes with kite) works too - as in "that little shite is picking up my boyfriend!"

"freakin" also popular, as well as Chandlerisms (Matthew Perry is Canadian you know, eh)

"yeah" - as in "yeah...guess we should be headenr' "

and some of the good saying from the old sod of Britain- "Bloody hell", "f%&$? me!", "sod off"

and of course, "eh" - (Oxford Dictionary (Can ed.) definition) - ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc. of person or persons addressed . As in "it's way out in the boonies, eh, so I can't get there on bike" or "nice ass, eh"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2001, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
"Janky" - This is an such an AGD word! We originally got it from the Delts but we "stole" it and say it all the time!

"Bite My Bootie" - Substitute for Kiss My...

"Grody" - Just straight up nasty

"Gam Time" - (or AGD Time) a.k.a. 15 minutes late

"Shady" - Pretty common word I guess

"Stylin" - Used sarcastically; a.k.a "you are not wearing that"

"Overshare" - too much information

"With a Spoon" - This is my term, not my chapter's term. If a guy is cute, he's "yummy"...if he's very good looking, he's "yummy with a spoon"...and if he's incredibly HOT, he's just "with a spoon"

Last edited by LeslieAGD; 12-15-2001 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Words my brothers and I have used in the past,

Stoked
random
sketchy
kid
wood = I pulled some major wood(I did really well.) Theres some
variations on that too. But the word has never been used in a bad way.
helmutt = a guy who is really gunho and jock type. I was known as king helmut in my chapter. when I was a pledge I was a junior helmut.
helmutina = a girl who is really gunho and has a jock attitude.
A LOTTTTTT = Just a saying one of my brothers has.
beaver. "that girl is beaver"
tool = the guy is a looser
hottie = hot lady
Old 12-15-2001, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Word's popular at my house

Tool - loser or asshole, if a guy is a big loser or asshole than he's a toolbag...this goes all the way up to toolbox and toolshed.

"That guy" as in you don't (or in some cases do) want to be "that guy" varies on the situation.

Weak - something that isn't cool, or a waste of time, and overall negative assessment of the situation.

Sausage Fest - a party with few girls. (I've heard it been called a brotherhood event...)

Big Cups - tupperware bowls, this started at a celebration after the Notre Dame-Nebraska game when for one reason or another a bowl of tupperware got pulled out and used as a communal cup. You take "hits" off the big cup.

The Ziti Handshake - scratching your genitals, came from the tendency of one house on campus to be constantly scratching themselves...and I mean CONSTANLY. So if you catch someone scratching themselves we will occasionally say "is there a ziti here?" or "you thinking of joining ziti?"
Old 12-15-2001, 02:25 PM

We had a few......there was the nose code.....if we were going into a party or whatever and wanted to find out if our nose was clear and booger-free (I know it's gross) we'd ask, "How's the weather?" And if the answer was "Sunny" or "Not a cloud in the sky" you knew it was ok. "Partly cloudy" or "storms coming" meant get out your kleenex!!!!!

Something really nice and classy was "Swank"

Another big one was "F*ck me broadside!!!!" (an expression of dismay)

I forgot some

You can be hungry, or if you are really starving, you are fungry....which means f-ing hungry.

The "Chi Omega Bob"......just what it sounds like. For a while there we all seemed to have the same little bob hairdo...

Peroxide Poisoning/blonde.......if someone was being really stupid, they were being blonde. If they were being chronically "blonde" you'd say something like "you going to the doctor about that peroxide poisoning?"

"On the porch".....stemmed from someone screwing up the whole big dogs and the porch thing. ON the porch meant you were really cool, which is actually the opposite of what it originally meant of course.

Norman......meant a psycho, as in Norman Bates

Last edited by ErikaXO; 12-15-2001 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to douthit Send a message via Yahoo to douthit
Some of the phrases that we've used before are "sick nasty" or "dirty", the funniest is lately we've been saying something is "dirty style" or "dirty gypsy style" when you've got screwed at something, usually video games!
Old 12-15-2001, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

We definitely make up our own adjectives to describe people who are sketchy or shady! I would tell you but then we couldn't use them in public without people knowing we were totally making fun of them!!

More Phrases We Love:

*Strugglin': As in not cute, not looking their best.
"I am SO strugglin' in this morning, I woke up an hour late!" or "That guy asked me out but I passed - he was struggling!!"

*Hard Core: Big time, to a large degree.
"Omigosh, he is struggling HARD CORE tonight...he looks like he's been backed over by a train!" or "We're going out hard core this weekend."

*That Girl: Changes to fit the situation but usually a hard core shacker. "I haven't seen Katy in two weeks - she's definitely become That Girl!!" or "Don't be That Girl, hon! Ditch him and come out with US tonight!!"

*Fun Times, Good Times: Like the SNL radio ladies, said very sarcastically and in a monotone or fake voice.
"We had a four hour chapter meeting last night - it was good times." or "Yep, I'll be in the library 'til at least two studying for Biochem tomorrow. It'll be fun times, good times!"

*Preebs: Hard to explain! Just read the examples.
"He asked me why I was angry and I said 'Preebs! If you had called me last night maybe you would've figured it out on your own!" or "I don't know who told her she was Miss America, but PREEBS, she is definitely not...."

*Definitely: Used as a form of emphasis on silly things.
"I am DEFINITELY in need of some time on the treadmill." or "I am DEFINITELY all about watching some Felicity tonight."

These may not be as funny written out; it's all about the delivery!
Old 12-15-2001, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Basically! As in close enough or almost. "Did you have a good time last night?" "BASICALLY!"
Old 12-15-2001, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It's funny how many people use the same terms, I guess they are pretty much universal!

Shady - a nasty guy is "shady." Since my name is Shae, my nickname became Slim Shaedy when I was pledging. So there's a good "shaedy" and a bad "shady"!

"Randy" - Short for random, a random guy is Randy Random. i.e. "What's up with this randy guy hitting on you?"

"G.D" - short for God D!@#

"I'll just be riding around the cul de sac..." - Taken from SNL, the "Wake Up Wakefield" scetch, where it's the morning announcements, and the girl has a huge crush on Randy Goldman, so she says that over winter break she'll just be "Riding around the cul de sac, waiting to see Randy." You say this when someone is meeting you somewhere, or picking you up, and you're waiting for them.

"That would be grrrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaaat" - Taken from Office Space..."If you could get those PTS reports in, that would be grrrreeeaaattt." You guys know, the annoying boss guy says it. Anyways, we say it when we ask someone to bring something over to borrow or something, or if you need someone to do something for you. "If you could just bring me that red shirt, that would be grrrrreeeaaat."
Old 12-16-2001, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh! I forgot a new one. We Zeta's sign our notes ZLAM (for Zeta Love and Mine) and so we've started calling each other "my little zlam'er" cand ute names like that. It looks silly but it cracks us up...my sisters are so precious! (Sorry to get all girlie but I just had to share!)
Old 12-16-2001, 10:01 PM

This isn't anything unique to my sorority, but rather to my school (MIT). We have an acronym: IHTFP. There is a whole list of things it can stand for, but the two most commonly used are:

I Have Truly Found Paradise
I Hate This F***ing Place

Guess which one is more commonly used... especially around finals
Old 12-17-2001, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Here are the ones I could think of:

All about...really want to or am excited about
I am all about going out tonight.

Pretty sure...certain
I'm pretty sure that girl is stalking my boyfriend

we use take instead of go
I need to take myself to the store

we refer to ourselves or each other as happy a$$
get your happy a$$ over here or I need to take my happy a$$ to class

we also use not so much
did you ace that test? not so much
Old 12-17-2001, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a girl go through rush last year and her name was Fletcher Meister. I know it's so mean but we could not stop laughing every time her name was mentioned. The girls from her hometown said she was really nice but we couldn't help it. She ended up pledging elsewhere but we have started calling people Fletcher or Fletch if they are being dorks.

Fletcher if you ever come on GC I'm sorry
Old 07-09-2002, 11:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to MUPhiMuKHap
Wink

Hehehe these are great. I love how we think we all have things we or words we say with our friends that no one else uses, but in actuality we all use a lot of the same ones!

Some of the ones my friends and I use are:

-Random
-Laura (the name of my trashy old roommate who beat me up, so we use this to insult each other lol)
-Sea-oww (a made up word we use for good bye lol)
-I'm all about that
-Sooooo (as in "I soooooo need to go to the rec)
-Pretty sure
-Fabulous!!!
-F-ing (as opposed to f**king)
-Not so much, no
-Totally
We also run on "Phi Mu time" which is basically being 15 minutes late, everywhere! Oh well.

I also say 2.2, as in I'll be there in 2.2 seconds......people make fun of me b/c I am the slowest person ever so this is obviously NEVER gonna be true.

Last edited by MUPhiMuKHap; 07-09-2002 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ivysis
jank= broken, stupid, cheap

to boot= to throw up (thank you pi kappa phi for that one)

sketch ball= creepy

forgot the rest though......sorry