GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,267
3 members and 2,264 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

A very dressy FLORIDA STATE recruitment!

Hey everyone,

So Im putting up my recruitment story. Im a sophomore and I got at least 2 recs for all the sororities. Thats all im saying, I'll go into detail after bid day.

So I just got back from my first day!!!! I love my Rho Gam and my group, I can tell recruitment will be easier because of our solid group. We went to 5 houses today after orientation and it was so much fun! Thank god it didnt rain, and it wasnt that hot out so I was fine and my hair stayed straight!

I will list the houses by types of dresses because I am obsessed with them!

Minidress
One-Shoulder
Floor Length
Ball Gown
Bandage dress
Drop Waist
Shirtdress
Backless
Strapless
Spaghetti Strap
Shift
T-Shirt Dress
Empire Waist
Baby Doll
A-Line

First house I went to was Shift. It was a good convo and flowed very well, there video was super cute! I didn't really feel a connection here because I didn't get too talk to the girls for very long

Second house was Backless. I LOVED this house! The convo went perfect, no awkward pauses, my girl was great and I felt very comfortable here. The video was so great! I laughed and had fun, I didn't want to leave.

Third house was Empire Waist. This house was drop dead gorgeous, and the girls inside were! My girl was really sweet and we talked about fun stuff, nothing to deep into sisterhood though. I can tell she loves her sorority and their video was pretty good. I'm not sure about this one though if I connected or not

Fourth house was Minidress. This house I've had my eye on but was a little disappointed in the conversation. The conversation seemed really forced but I could tell the girl was nervous so I tried to make her comfortable, the video was so fun! I want to give this one another chance though because I really like how they seem to have a strong sisterhood and love their values.

Last house (Fifth) was A-Line. This house I LOVED LOVED LOVED! The two girls who rushed me were so much fun, really nice, and I knew absolutely loved their sorority and everything about it. The conversation was fun, I didn't want it to end. I can definitely see myself there, and the video was so cute.

Anyways I'm off to go scrub the rest of my makeup off. I start at 11am tomorrow, and I am SO excited!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

yay!! just a thought, at minidress, your hostess may have been rushing as a sorority member for the first time, and that was why she was nervous. if you encounter any more nervous(possibly) first time rushers, do your best to try and make them feel at ease. it may just work in your favor!

good luck today.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^Seconded, I was SO nervous to go through recruitment on the other side (possibly more nervous than when I was a PNM!)
Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbt1990 View Post
^Seconded, I was SO nervous to go through recruitment on the other side (possibly more nervous than when I was a PNM!)
I was definitely more nervous as an active my first time around than I was as a PNM. I think I've posted about that before. It was not pretty and I'm surprised anyone joined Alpha Gam at all that year.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the positive attidude you have, and the fact that you realize the girls rushing you can be just as nervous as the rushees. Keep having fun!

I have a special pnm going thru rush at FSU as well
Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone,

I've been sooo tired and busy these past few days so I finally have the time to post!
The second day we went to 11 houses, it was so much fun and super exhausting.

I first went to One Shoulder. This one I was really excited for, I had 4 recs for this house. When I went though I was a little put off. The first girl I talked to was great, but the second wouldnt look me in the face, kept looking around behind me. It seemed like she didnt care about our conversation...I loved the video though!

Next was Floor Length. I did not like this house!! The girls were really socially awkward and quite off-putting because they kept staring. They also had the generic questions like "what are your hobbies" and I felt like I was rushing them instead of the other way around. I really tried to get both my girls to talk but they kept giving me one word answers and staring.

Next was Ballgown. I have a friend in this house and she's told me so many good things so I was so excited too see it. But one of my girls was so rude and cold! The other was great though. I decided I wanted to give them another chance.

Next was Bandage Dress. I am IN LOVE WITH THIS HOUSE! I almost cried during the video and I just felt instantly at home here, I can't explain it but I didn't want to leave!

Next was Drop Waist. I also have a friend in this house so I was looking forward to it. I had a great time with my girl! We laughed a lot but it didn't really feel all natural, I just didn't feel a connection.

Next was Shirtdress. I was switched out 3 times here but it all felt very natural. I had a great time here and I love the video! The conversations were so much fun.

Next was Strapless. I was rushed by a friend from high school! It was so much fun to catch up and see here, and not have to go through the standard introductory questions. I knew though, looking around, that this was not the house for me.

Next was Spaghetti Strap. I LOVED this house. I talked to two girls at the same time for most of it and had a great conversation. Cute video, I really wanted to get to know this house more.

Next was T-Shirt Dress. I had a good time at this one, the conversation I had was nice, flowed easily. I loved their video, but nothing really stood out at this house.

Last was Babydoll. I also LOVED this house and has such a fun time with my girl. The video was good fun, but I know this one is hard to get into so I wasn't counting on an invite back. I has a great time though!

So as we waited to rank our selections I was sitting and thinking. We only rank the bottom 4 in order so I put

1. Shift
2. Drop Waist
3. Ballgown
4. Floor length

So when I'm done with this next round tomorrow, I will post up how it went.
Time to go to bed!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I almost forgot! The 11th house was Alpha Phi that is colonizing this year. It definitely seems like a good idea if things don't work out for me this week.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm excited to hear more!

GPhiB
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

hope you have fun today!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

So I just got back from ranking the end of this round. Update!

So I got a phone call the morning after the 11 houses visit and my heart stopped, I thought I was being released!! Luckily it was my rho gam calling to tell me that I had 4 parties to go too over the next 2 days and that my first one wasn't until 2:20.

I'm not going to lie, I WAS expecting to get cut because I am a sophomore and I don't have like a 4.0 but I was really disappointed I only got 4, I didn't understand why it went so well. I pouted for a few hours but then remembered, wait! 2 of those 4 were in my top 3! So I got ready for my first party and was off.

I got invited back to
Floor Length
Bandage dress
A-Line
Ballgown

So many sophs and juniors got cut this round, it was horrible to see! I'm not looking forward to seeing even more girls crying tomorrow when the heaviest cuts come.

Anyways, yesterday I went to two houses and today I went to two houses.
During this round there was so much tent-talk, and trashing of sororities. It was ridiculous!! Like your standing outside of the house, complaining (in a less colorful way than they were) that the house sucks and its a bottom house and you hate it and on and on and on!! I couldn't believe it! I decided that even if I did not like a house, I would still be polite and engaged because those girls chose their sorority and love it, and its really cruel to be so rude about everything to their faces.

First was Floor Length. I still am not a fan of this house. Their nice girls, but I REALLY do not see myself fitting in there. I do like their philanthropy and their house us really pretty, but its not for me. The girl took me and another PNM on the house tour and the PNM was SO RUDE! It motivated me more to be pleasant.

Next was my favorite Bandage Dress. I almost cried again at this house and I talked to three different girls here. The houses is gorgeous, I love their philanthropy, and I had chills, I did not want to leave. I LOVE THIS HOUSE!

The next day was A-Line. I really liked this house today even though I spilled water all over my legs and dress while talking to the girl! Their philanthropy and house are great, and I loved the girls I was talking too. Definitely in my top favs category.

Last was Ballgown. I was hoping that this house would go better today and YES IT DID. I loved this house! Their philanthropy is close to my heart and so creative, the house is so pretty and I loved the girls I talked to.

So when I went to computers I put down all 4, since the max is 7. I'm crossing my fingers I get some invites back!

P.S.
I am LOVING recruitment!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

fingers crossed for you!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the update...looking forward to hear more. I know where I want you to end up...but not saying.

Good Luck
Purc
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Well everyone, recruitment is over for me. I got a phone call this morning saying I had only been asked back to Floor Length and I know in my heart I cannot be a part of that sorority.

I am understandably heartbroken but I registered for COR and there's always spring rush, not too mention a new Alpha Phi chapter colonizing this September. I am going to get involved in other activities in the mean time.

There was a record number of girls going through this year so many cuts, releases, and withdrawals have been made so I don't feel as bad knowing that it isn't necessarily personal, but it was my grades.

The one thing I am baffled by are the other three sororities I got asked back to cut me even though I had multiple recs and made their gpa requirement no problem. I guess I'll never know.

I am going to go cry for the rest of the day and maybe everything will be better soon. Bid Day is Sunday and I know its going too be really hard to see all the girls screaming and running in their shirts. Hopefully the hole in my heart will go away soon :'(
Old 08-20-2010, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

If you know in your heart that you absolutely did the right thing by leaving recruitment you will soon be fine. It is a rough time for many young ladies right now.

I know a pnm at FSU right now that is struggling with her recruitment and she has so much going for her. It is very tough on so many levels.

I wish you the very best and I hope this weekend won't be very hurtful for you. You are at such a great university and so much awaits you. Make the most of it as it will fly by quickly!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry to hear that things did not work out for you. You have a great attitude and your attitude will only attract positive things! Good Luck, FSU is a beautiful campus. We dropped our daughter off on Mon. My husband and I were envious of her college days to come at FSU.