GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,416
0 members and 1,416 guests
No Members online

Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I just started reading this thread and wanted to wish you good luck! I can't wait to hear how things go for you and your chapter.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of Luck!!

I am really enjoying your story and how hard your sisterhood is working! I can't wait to hear how things end up. I am not surprised to hear that your campus is also having a hard time with Juicy Campus.

Some of the campuses I work with are having a very hard time and I especially hate when chapters go after one another. It is very disappointing and against any of our groups values. My alma matter is having very difficult time with JC. To know our students were saying such awful things about each other is such an embarrassment and a disappointment to the institution

I can't wait to hear more of your story!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my new favorite recruitment thread! We need to have more like this...I can't wait to see where all of those girls end up! So addicted...keep on updating (with as much detail as possible, obviously! ).
Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I love this thread... I can't wait to read more
Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Second Round

Today was one long day! Sisters came to set up at 8 am and were still cleaning up close to midnight. We again met all 200ish PNMs which is a lot for a chapter our size. Only about 10 PNMs have dropped since the beginning of Recruitment, which is good news - just about everybody seems to be enjoying themselves! All the hard work we put into decorations really paid off. A lot of sisters remarked that PNMs told us our theme was the most creative and best decorated of any sorority!! It was really exciting to hear, especially since we did so much work on it. We were also the only one that served food, which was definitely popular with a bunch of tired, hungry girls

I talked to a lot of really amazing young women tonight. The PNMs are gaining more self-confidence now, which is good and bad. The quieter girls are coming out of their shells more and seem more willing to talk, but the girls who aren't interested are making it more obvious. There were a few who just refused to talk - were staring around the room, giving one-word answers and generally acting miserable. The parties are only a half hour long - is it really that difficult to be cordial?? Anyway, the vast majority were very sweet and excited to be there. I got a chance to talk to Kelly, Lily, Elizabeth, Jenny and Vicky, who all seemed to be having a great time. I've heard Lily is now thinking she likes both Minerva and Venus again... whereas before she wanted to suicide Venus (my chapter). It makles me a little worried, but I know she'll end up where she's meant to be. Vicky seemed a lot more confident and relaxed today, which was really good to see.

The energy of the sisters was still pretty high today, though we were all starting to drag towards the end. It's so hard to keep things fresh when you've done the same party 6 or 7 times in a row! We just keep reminding ourselves that this is the first time the PNMs have seen us this round, even if we've seen a million of them. Honestly, though, things got a little strained as the day went on. Some sisters were snapping at each other over bump groups or opinions on PNMs, which was kind of sad to see. We're such a tight-knit group and really almost never have any drama... but three weeks of non-stop preparations, decorating and rushing with the same group of girls can make you annoyed with them no matter how much you love them! Hopefully we'll all be back to our happy selves for the next party.

The next round should be shorter - after tonight all the sororities have made their first cuts and the PNMs did their first ranking. We're hoping for high returns! Our release figures are such that we couldn't cut too many PNMs. Obviously I can't tell you much about voting, but it lasted a long time... since it's the first time we've voted on these PNMs there were a lot of differing opinions and strong feelings (positive and negative). Luckily everyone was very respectful of others' opinions and we were all able to come to a general consensus on most girls.

Ok, time for bed! I'll be back with more soon! Have fun at your respective Super Bowl parties tomorrow!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and I know I shouldn't be reading JC... but it's really hard to resist. It's the only brutally honest feedback we get from PNMs! Anyway, people have been saying really nice things about us on there... mainly that our chapter is way better than they expected it would be, and that though most girls weren't interested in Venus going in they are now strongly considering us. They've also said that we "actually have a lot of hot girls" and that we're "real" and "easy to talk to". It's so refreshing after hearing so many nasty things being said about us for so long! Definitely a major ego boost for the chapter!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

So so so addicted...this is my favorite rush thread, people should do these more often, with the PNMs names coded instead of the sororities! I totally know what you mean about JC...it's horrible, but during recruitment you can't help but look...I never really go on it except during rush (and, of course, the days right afterwards).

The rude PNMs too...it's horrible, but the worst thing about it is that they are so sweet at the chapters they are interested in. We took a PNM once who we adored, only to find out that she couldn't have been more rude at some of my friends chapters! We were so upset. And the funny thing too is that there were probably some interested girls at your party who were acting that way at other chapters...and you'd never even know. Grrr I wish we could have "spies" in other houses to see how star PNMs are acting and make sure we aren't taking tactless women.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
And the funny thing too is that there were probably some interested girls at your party who were acting that way at other chapters...and you'd never even know. Grrr I wish we could have "spies" in other houses to see how star PNMs are acting and make sure we aren't taking tactless women.
I know what you mean! One of our sisters who's a Rho Chi was telling us that there's a PNM all the Rho Chis can't stand... she's sweet as pie in the rush room, but in her group she's a total brat! She's nasty to the other PNMs, yells at her Rho Chi and generally acts horrible. I'm really glad we got see that side, because we really liked her in conversations. It goes to show that you should always be on your best behavior during Recruitment, because people definitely talk
Old 02-01-2009, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

PNMs are typically not writing anything on JC. They are trolls posing as PNMs, either in other houses, GDIs, men or people who don't even go to your school. Even if you read something, I wouldn't believe as a PNM.

As for your Rho Chi sister, she shouldn't tell you what is going on with any PNM.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpearls View Post
I know what you mean! One of our sisters who's a Rho Chi was telling us that there's a PNM all the Rho Chis can't stand... she's sweet as pie in the rush room, but in her group she's a total brat! She's nasty to the other PNMs, yells at her Rho Chi and generally acts horrible. I'm really glad we got see that side, because we really liked her in conversations. It goes to show that you should always be on your best behavior during Recruitment, because people definitely talk
Thats really interesting. We basically can't talk to our Rho Chi members starting the summer before recruitment (we obviously have Fall recruitment though). That would definitely be a no-no at my school.

But on another note, this is really interesting. I have my fingers crossed that you get an insane amount of returns!!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyAnne17 View Post
Thats really interesting. We basically can't talk to our Rho Chi members starting the summer before recruitment (we obviously have Fall recruitment though). That would definitely be a no-no at my school.

It's a Panhellenic rule that Rho Chis are not to be in contact with their chapters. However, we all know that in the days of Facebook/texting/email/etc, that it doesn't always get followed.

And honestly, if a PNM is saying things and behaving a completely different way when not in a recruitment situation, I think most girls would appreciate a "heads up" from a PX (even if it is against the rules).

For example: If a girl tries to act all sweet and cute in front of chapters, but shows up to her PX group meeting saying "Man, sorry I'm late, I'm still a little tired from that coked-out threesome I had last night" I would DEFINITELY let my sisters know (and my other sorority member friends too for that matter.

This is why I always let PNMs know to be mindful of what they say around their PX groups. Should they happen to say something derogatory about a chapter, or say something that is a 'red flag' to her PX, there's no guarantee that her PX will remain disafiliated and not tell anyone.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think recruitment counselors often will let a chapter know of a problem PNM in their group. Technically I think it is kind of unethical, but also it is bound to happen. If there is some girl who is being bitchy to everybody in their group beyond the normal rush cattiness I think most recruitment counselors might send a Facebook message or something. I think it would be absurd, for example, if a recruitment counselor send a message rating every girl in their group. I would be uneasy if one of ours sent our chapter that information. But if it's a warning against a very undesirable PNM, I think most current collegians would look the other way and accept the information as valid. Ethical? No. But it's rush...PNMs are cut for more superficial reasons than that.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

For example: If a girl tries to act all sweet and cute in front of chapters, but shows up to her PX group meeting saying "Man, sorry I'm late, I'm still a little tired from that coked-out threesome I had last night" I would DEFINITELY let my sisters know (and my other sorority member friends too for that matter.

LOL...I can see your point there.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, what a debate! Yes, I know our Rho Chis aren't supposed to be in contact with us... but in this case she felt she needed to make an exception for the good of the chapter. The fact that the PNM was acting like a totally different person in the rush room and in her PX group was something only a PX would know, and she didn't want us to be fooled by a good actress.

In conclusion: yes, it is against the rules, but I do feel it was warranted in this case. It's not like she's giving us a play-by-play of every PNM in her group - just a warning about one.

I'll be continuing the story tonight! I'm very excited for third round, but voting is going to be exhausting... if PNMs don't get released tonight they'll be coming to Pref, so it's going to be a very important (and long) discussion of each girl. I'll probably be posting at 4 am!

I'm also very nervous to see who will be back today after first cuts/ranking after last round... a lot of girls tend to drop if they get their schedules tonight and aren't happy, so I'm just hoping that won't happen to any of my favorites.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I just saw our invite list for tonight... and Kelly isn't on it. I'm completely shocked. I know for a fact that she was at the top our our list, so the only explanation is that she ranked us dead last. After talking to our Recruitment chair and a few other sisters about it, we concluded that she probably succumbed to the tent talk. She seemed like she was having a great time in the rush room and had really good conversations with everyone... she even told me that she didn't like some of the other groups she went to. The fact that she ranked them above us is really, really disappointing - she didn't seem like the kind of girl that was hung up on reputation or which groups are "the best". A lot of my sisters are friends of hers. I'm really shocked and disappointed... I honestly thought we were going to be sisters. I know these things happen every year, and I told myself not to get too attached, and I know it's not personal... but yes, I do feel really hurt and betrayed.

We'll see how things go tonight. We have pretty good returns - about 125/200 are coming back.