GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,422
3 members and 1,419 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

A New Bedlam Recruitment - 2015

A New Bedlam 2015 Recruitment

Some background:

I apologize for the break since announcing that I would share my daughter’s (we will call her Libby) recruitment story at Oklahoma State University. I am sharing the university because “Bedlam” makes it evident, and because she is an active new member of an amazing chapter that is the perfect place for her.

For the record, like all moms, I think Libby is a pretty “special snowflake”. She attended a very competitive high school, had a very high GPA, and was involved in many activities (athletic, academic, service, and church-oriented). She was selected for several wonderful organizations at OSU before arriving on campus, and was very excited to begin recruitment. I think one of the most wonderful things about Libby is that she does not see herself as a “special snowflake”. She sees herself as an average 18 year old who likes music and crafting. She was just thrilled to be starting a new adventure at OSU.

Libby is a cute girl and had put together a recruitment wardrobe that consisted of clothes and jewelry ranging from a $20 romper (cute and appropriate) to some higher end designer clothes and shoes that SHE liked and SHE felt confident wearing. She wanted to be herself during recruitment and wear things that represented her style (not necessarily mine, but it’s not my recruitment!). So, word to future PNMs: be appropriate - and if Lilly and Tory aren’t you…don’t wear it! We were careful to make sure that everything she planned to wear fit her appropriately and was tasteful – designer or not.

Libby is a legacy to two chapters that are not on OSU’s campus, and a direct legacy to a chapter that is on OSU’s campus. Her cousin was also in a chapter at OSU, so she went into recruitment knowing quite a bit about the chapters in which she had relatives. She was raised around and by several generations of sorority women and knows that NOTHING is ever a sure thing, and that there is beauty in the differences (lots of aunts, cousins, and friends in different sororities). She approached recruitment with happiness, energy, and a very open mind. We had discussed possible cuts, potential disappointments, how the legacy chapter may or may not be the perfect place for her, and that she needed to try to find something about every single chapter that she liked. We also discussed “tent talk” and she promised that she would try to keep an open mind, ignore the “tiers”, and find a place that she could call home.

I will preface this story by saying that I am completely impressed with OSU Panhellenic. Libby truly had a wonderful time and would have been very happy in several of the houses on campus. Decisions were very hard for her to make as recruitment continued.

Libby kept a Google doc that she shared with me through the first two rounds of recruitment. She then became so busy that I was left to piece together the rest of the story. Because we love 30A in Florida, the 13 chapters at OSU will be coded by the names of the Beaches of South Walton:

Perdido Key
Navarre
Ft. Walton
Miramar
Grayton
Rosemary
Seaside
Blue Mountain
Dune Allen
Alys
Santa Rosa
Watercolor
Seagrove Beach

Round 1 (Open house) was divided into 2 days. They would visit 7 houses one day, and six the next.

Coming up (today!): Open Houses: Day 1

Last edited by jgsmc3; 09-05-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Grammar! :)
Old 09-05-2015, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Yippie! Pistols Firing!!!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Open House: Day 1

Open House: Day 1 (houses are not in any particular order):

Grayton Beach: Libby “LOVED” this house!!!!! She felt like she could be herself in this chapter. The girls were super real and hilarious! The President of the Chapter came over to personally shake her hand (which was kind of cool) while she was talking to one of the girls. Grayton is AMAZING and was one of her absolute favorites!

Navarre Beach: Libby was really looking forward to meeting the ladies in this house. She knows lots of people in this sorority (not the chapter, but alums and girls from different schools). She talked to two girls. She really, really liked one of them. She and Girl 1 are both in the same major and Girl 1 was really nice! But the second girl was not as friendly and did not seem interested in anything Libby said. Libby thinks that overall, this house was okay but they did not impress her the way she expected they would.

Ft. Walton Beach: Libby had attended an event in the spring at OSU and after having a not so great experience at this house, she was surprised at how much she liked these ladies! She loved BOTH of the girls that she talked to. The conversation flowed really easily and she liked them. She wants to go back to see them during round 2.

Miramar Beach: Libby also talked to two girls in this house and “SHE LOVED THEM”. She felt very comfortable in this house -- it was very authentic and real. Libby loved this house and hopes to go back for round 2! Yay Miramar!

Perdido Key: Libby also knows lots of wonderful women, both alumnae and actives from this Panhellenic group. She really liked these ladies today and talked to 3 girls in this chapter. She thought that they seemed to be a very sweet and driven group of girls. They were very genuine and nice to her, but she wasn’t sure if she necessarily fit with this group. She definitely wants to see them again for Round 2!

Rosemary Beach: Libby liked them but is not sure if she quite fits with them. The girls she talked to were nice and very pretty, but the conversation was not as "fluid" as it was in Grayton and Miramar. She wants to go back to Rosemary for round 2, because she wants to meet some different people in the chapter. Overall a really great group, though!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Love 30A ( my old stomping grounds!) and love that is your theme.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Will be watching this!
Old 09-05-2015, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the Google doc idea...great way to organize her impressions and share with mom!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Open House Round: Day 2

Blue Mountain Beach: Libby was looking forward to meeting this group because my childhood/high school best friend is a member of this Panhellenic group. Libby really liked this house a lot. She was paired with two girls who had been in the same activity she was in during high school and had fabulous conversations here! The recruitment chair came over personally to welcome her to the house, which was very exciting. They seemed like a very “girly”, energetic, and fun chapter. She hoped to come back to this house for Round 2!

Dune Allen Beach: Libby’s first rusher reminded her a lot of her best friend from high school, so Dune Allen started strong for her. These ladies seemed to be a very sweet group of girls, however she felt like she “kind of didn’t fit in with their sense of humor or style”. She really liked Rusher 1, and although Rusher 2 was nice and funny, she felt like this was not the perfect place for her. She was not sure that she wanted to go back to Dune Allen.

Alys Beach: Wow! Alys Beach! If you have ever been to Alys Beach, Florida, you know that it’s a beautiful, classy, and serene place to visit. Libby really liked this house. She felt like she fit in with these girls and that she “looked” like them (“plus their house mom is adorable”)! Although she really felt comfortable at Alys Beach, Libby noted that the conversations were not as “real” as they were at Grayton Beach and Miramar Beach. Libby loved it here, but would she have to change who she really was to be an Alys Beach? Possibly. It is hard to explain, but Libby has a very quirky sense of humor and is very theatrical. She also ran around with girls who were very much like the Alys Beach ladies all through high school. This house represents the quieter, and more “put together” side of her personality. As of that moment, Libby ranked Alys Beach #3 in her mind and wants to meet more girls in the chapter. She hopes to come back to Alys Beach tomorrow.

Santa Rosa Beach: Santa Rosa beach is not only beautiful, but fun! Libby had stressed over finding a rec to Santa Rosa because we did not know any Santa Rosas! Fortunately, Libby and I became friends with a Santa Rosa and her daughter by coincidence earlier in the summer. Libby really, really liked this house and it was easily one of her favorites. She had really great conversations here and cannot wait to come back! She wished she had as much time with the second and third girl she talked to as she did with the first girl. It seemed like time just flew by in this house, and the party was over before she wanted it to be. Overall, this was a fabulous house! She cannot wait to come back!

Watercolor Beach: Libby and I have a long- time family friend whose daughter is in this house. Libby had hoped that the friend would pick her up, because she really would like to give this group a chance, but the friend just waved at her from across the room! They seem like a very nice group of girls, but she did not click with either of her rushers. Libby felt like they didn’t quite know what to say to her and the conversations were awkward. Libby wrote, “They are so nice and so spirited. I can tell they love their chapter. One of my rushers only talked about weight lifting and working out, so I did get some body building tips. That’s a plus!” Libby wished this group well, but doesn’t want to go back to them.

Seagrove Beach: Libby liked this house a lot and had a very good conversation. She was paired with a girl who was in the same OSU activity as her. Libby thought that Seagrove was a very, very nice house - plus they were kind of “edgy” and different! She wants to go back to Seagrove.

Seaside: To directly quote Libby from her Google Doc: “OMG!!! I LOVE THEM! OMG! THEY ARE MY PEOPLE! WHOOOOO-HOOOOO!” She talked to two girls at Seaside (who she named, but I obviously am not going to include this info!) Again, a direct quote: “Seaside is an incredibly awesome house! I cannot wait to go back!!! I WANT TO BE A SEASIDE! (I think!)".

At the end of Round 1, the PNMs ranked. There was talk of heavy cuts and the Rho Gammas told them not to be disappointed if they did not get a full schedule. According to Libby, PNMs were crying and nervous. She texted me after ranking and was very nervous herself. She thought the all houses were great, but had found several favorites. She really wanted to go back to many of the houses, but was feeling the same as the rest of the girls in her group. She simply had no idea what would happen tomorrow, and was worried that she would “look like a hag” because she didn’t think she would be able to sleep. They could go back to 10 parties tomorrow. The Rho Gammas said that it would be very rare for anyone to have 10 parties.

She ranked (in no particular order except for the last 3 houses)
1. Seaside
1. Grayton Beach
1. Miramar Beach
1. Perdido Key
1. Ft. Walton Beach
1. Blue Mountain Beach
1. Rosemary Beach
1. Santa Rosa Beach
1. Seagrove Beach
1. Alys Beach

2. Navarre Beach
2. Dune Allen Beach
2. WaterColor

Coming up: Round 2 - House Tours

Last edited by jgsmc3; 09-06-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added color to one of the houses!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Love 30A ( my old stomping grounds!) and love that is your theme.
I follow 30A on Facebook...and want to retire there someday! It is one of my favorite places on Earth!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

I really want to visit the beaches of South Walton but it would be so hard to choose one!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I read Howdy 96's thread and thought that her description of how she got her recs was great! No matter what the university says (especially in the South), recs are important. Libby obtained her recs through different sources. Libby started searching for recs before Christmas of her senior year. (I know that sounds early, but she was looking at several colleges and wanted all bases covered!)

First, she registered with our local Panhellenic and submitted everything they asked for before the deadline. Through our local Panhellenic she met with two wonderful ladies, a Watercolor and a Dune Allen beach. She met them at Starbucks (individually) and they wrote her recs for those chapters. Not only did she register with Panhellenic, she sought out "personal" recs as well to make sure each chapter was covered.

I think it is imperative for future PNMs to note that if your local Panhellenic asks you to organize things in a certain way, and to meet deadlines, please do so. I wrote recs for my sorority and greatly appreciated the info that was given to me. Although I knew many of the ladies I wrote recs for personally, it was still very helpful to have a detailed resume.

Also, I want to point out that Libby responded to every single rec writer (that she knew of) with a handwritten thank you note, and a Starbucks gift card ($5) for their time. She sent the thank you note within several days of giving these ladies her information. She did not have "fun" writing these notes, but it is a simple way to be gracious and appreciative. Maybe it's a Southern thing, but anyone who has written recs knows that it takes some time to write them. Thank you notes are such a small gesture, and they are greatly appreciated!

Perdido Key: Libby obtained several recs to this chapter through her friends' moms, and one of her favorite teachers in high school. Also, Libby's second grade teacher (who I am still friends with) wrote a BEAUTIFUL letter of support for her. She was right out of college when she taught Libby, and was thrilled to write the LOS for her.

Navarre Beach: Again, Libby contacted several of her friends' moms to write recs. Her godmother is also a Navarre Beach and wrote a rec for her.

Ft. Walton: One of my sorority sister's mom is an absolutely precious Ft. Walton Beach alumna. My sorority sister and I have remained close since college, and Libby spent an afternoon just visiting with Ms. Fort Walton Beach while my friend and I had snacks, beverages, and caught up. Also, a friend that I work with wrote a Ft. Walton rec.

Miramar Beach: One of Libby's BFF's mom is a Miramar Beach...in fact, she and I went through rush together in the stone ages. I wrote BFF's rec for my sorority and BFF's mom wrote for Libby.

Grayton Beach: We have a close relative whom Libby adores who wrote her rec for Grayton Beach. Also, an acquaintance of mine wrote a rec for Libby. Libby is the one who approached these ladies for recs, however!

Rosemary Beach: We have a close relative who wrote one of her recs for Rosemary Beach. I also have a lifelong friend who is a Rosemary who wrote a rec for her.

Seaside: My husband grew up with a lovely lady who is a Seaside. She wrote a rec for Libby. Libby also knows several Seasides through our church and several actives (at another school) from camp. The Seaside ladies at our church wrote her recs as well.

Blue Mountain Beach: My lifelong best friend is a Blue Mountain. She wrote Libby's rec for her. I believe an acquaintance of mine who is on our area Panhellenic also wrote a rec for her.

Alys Beach: One of Libby's favorite teachers from high school wrote her Alys Beach rec. **She let her teachers know that she was going through recruitment, and many of them offered to write recs for her.

Santa Rosa Beach: Prior to June of this year we only knew one Santa Rosa and she is a collegiate active. Libby was very stressed about finding a "personal" rec to this house. As luck would have it, we became friends with a mom and daughter at an event we attended in June...and mom was a very active Santa Rosa alumna in her area. She wrote Libby's rec for her.

Seagrove Beach: One of my childhood friends is a Seagrove Beach. She wrote Libby's rec for her and gave her fabulous advice about recruitment. It's interesting how our kids will listen to other people make the same points we have tried to make over and over.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I really want to visit the beaches of South Walton but it would be so hard to choose one!
They are all beautiful! But, I think Seagrove and Seaside are my personal favorites!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Rosemary Beach is my favorite, followed by Seaside(beaches, that is...no idea which beach reps which house).
Old 09-06-2015, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2?

I have to say, the super high stress, severe cuts and no one getting back full rounds doesn't really sound like OSU recruitment. It is competitive, but not SEC-esque. And not Norman-esque, either.

Last edited by Katmandu; 09-06-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Round 2?

I have to say, the super high stress, severe cuts and no one getting back full rounds doesn't really sound like OSU recruitment. It is competitive, but not SEC-esque. And not Norman-esque, either.
It's my understanding via my daughter that many chapters cut heavily for grades this year. Apparently, the Rho Gammas for my daughter's group felt obligated to tell the girls that cuts could potentially be heavy and that most girls would not have a full schedule for round 2. While it may not be SEC level, this rush seemed somewhat competitive to some of the girls going through it. Libby and her friends worried about cuts after the Rho Gamma meeting after the open house rounds. Libby had the grades, but was still worried about getting her favorite chapters back. According to her (remember that this story is being told through the eyes of an 18 year old college freshman), the girls in her group were upset and stressed after their meeting.

But as a sneak preview, Libby got her top 10 back for second round, and was ecstatic. Because the PNM's phones were exchanged for their schedules, I was on pins and needles all day and learned that no news is good news! 😊
Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM

One of my rec girls said that her rho gammas told their group that all houses were using a 3.5 minimum GPA. This couldn't possibly be true, but it struck fear in her group and fueled a lot of rumors during recruitment.