GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 880
1 members and 879 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Alternatives to fining for women who miss work week/recruitment?

Inevitably, there will be women who miss all or part of work week/recruitment due to various reasons. As our Fraternity does not allow fining, the Membership Adviser, Membership chair and I are trying to come up with creative ways of reprimanding those women.

We're thinking of two different types of reprimands -- one for those women who are "excused" (meaning their excuse is valid according to the chapter's Standing Rules) and one for those who are "unexcused" (their reason is not valid according to the chapter's Standing Rules).

Even though some women are excused, we feel they need to make up some sort of work for the day(s) they're missing. The women who are unexcused will meet with Standards, but they need something else.

The previous CCA before me was not very good at upholding the rules and was very inconsistent with what she said, so the chapter has gotten used to getting away with pretty much anything. I'm not going to allow that to happen anymore.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Make them complete a set number of community service hours before semester's end (every hour of work/spirit week missed is an hour to make up doing a service project)

Assisting at new member education sessions and new member retreat

Give a membership workshop to the chapter on time management and prioritization

Organize study files and track study hours for the Academic Chairman

Social Probation. One day=one week. For every day of work week missed, they may not attend a week of social mixers. If they miss all of work week, they may not attend your fall date function.

If these sound harsh, that's your opinion. I understand many members have to miss work week, but you know what? I supported myself through undergrad working multiple part-time jobs (parents didn't provide any support financially) and still managed to be an active member of the sorority. I didn't miss spirit week because I told my employers ahead of time that I would need the time off. I worked as a waitress, at a retail clothing store, nanny, etc. It's all about being responsible and setting priorities.

Make sure to set deadlines and assign a penalty for failure to complete within the timeline. Put across in writing their penalty and get them to sign a contract which expresses they understand their assignment.

I do feel study abroad or those doing a summer internship should receive an exemption of sorts-- they are furthering their education and experience for their future career, whereas those who are waitressing know better and should get their requests into management months in advance. Or, if the management won't budge, see if they'll donate a meal to the chapter in exchange for a few of their wait-staff (your sisters) being allowed to work that week.

It may sound like I'm nuts, but retailers and restaurants in college towns know what recruitment is. They go through this every year with multiple time off requests and trying to fill the schedule. And they want to work with the Greeks-- we have money and frequent (or can boycott) their establishments... and a lot of times these owners are alumni or Greeks themselves.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
i'll just say that i agree with all of the above! if they won't be there during week, have them work for something else or restrict social privileges.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I would caution you against restricting the social priviledges of people with excused absences. Sometimes people have immediate family members who are getting married, having a baby, being baptized, etc. Some families can't be flexible on these plans or they didn't consider that it was same time as recruitment. Members who have these kind of obligations who are socially punished just end up feeling resentful and pissed off because they had no choice -- often times people would rather do recruitment than family stuff! Recruitment is not a time to lower morale!

Members with unexcused absences are a different story. For every two days they miss, they probably shouldn't be able to go to a social event with alcohol. If they are gone during the day, they should have to stay in every night of spirit week and help out with cleaning, decorating, organizing, etc.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Depending on how many social functions your chapter holds and attends, I would caution you on using social probation as a punishment. If your chapter does not have many social functions, often girls will not look upon this as punishment. Attitudes might reflect something like this "oh well, who cares I only miss on function this month because that's all we have". Girls might not care if they have to miss a function and if that's all you have as punishment then it isn't ver effective.

However, if there are many social functions to attend, this could work and this would not apply to you.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, the only time we can restrict social privileges is when they are not up-to-date on financial payments.

We're thinking the women who are excused would be doing smaller duties -- like helping the Membership Chair organize references, put together Bid Day bags or clean out the Recruitment cupboards. Something that's pretty stress-free but still helps them make up the time they're going to be gone and shows the other chapter members there are consequences for missing required events. They may not be big, but there are still consequences.

It's the women who are unexcused that I'm most worried about. An invitation to Standards doesn't mean anything anymore; in fact, most people blow it off. It's something we're working on but without a strong Standards Adviser (currently it's me and I'm already filling two other advisory positions along with ABC, CCA and HB) and committee, it's difficult. Plus, most of them are Seniors and they already have the feeling that now that they're seniors, they don't have to do anything with the chapter anymore, especially since they're all living out-of-house.

now this is getting more to Chapter Operations than Recruitment...
Old 07-13-2005, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

What about some house work? or if you have chapter meals they get to help out w/serving and cleaning up? Maybe they have to miss a rotation and do kitchen duty..?

I would lean towards something that puts the work on the individual. If they get to plan an event, one person may do all the work and what consequence did the rest learn?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I would only focus on the women are unexcused. Women who are excused had a good reason or else they wouldn't be excused.

That said, I agree with the assignment of tasks. Depending on how frilly your recruitment is, there are usually tons of tasks that need to be done and which can be assigned. Although we allow fines in Alpha Gamma Delta, I've worked with some chapters who developed fine work-off policies, where they could do certain tasks in lieu of a fine. Things like pressing Initiation robes, picking up flowers, decorating, being in charge of clean up of an event, etc. You have to be careful that it wouldn't be part of their normal duties anyway, but it can be very effective and ultimately, it helps out the chapter (possibly more than a fine would).
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding house work, our local policy at my chapter was that you couldn't require kitchen duty, etc., of any of the members because it could be construed as hazing, even if they were being paid.

I know... I know...

We did all-chapter "Diamond Dustings" where prides would be assigned to tidy specific areas of the house, and there were house rules about picking up after yourself and not leaving trash or food out, etc.

If a woman is unexcused, too, another good idea is to work off a case-by-case basis. The same blanket penalty won't work for everyone. Talk to her in her Standards meeting about what would be a fair assignment in light of her missing a very important event with the chapter.

The only thing I get wary of with Recruitment is getting too many women to help process applications. Something almost always gets screwed up there. Maybe they can assemble name tags in the evening, or run errands for recruitment, etc.

Again, the purpose isn't to make them resentful of the chapter-- it's to get something positive for them and the chapter out of their missing a mandatory for an unexcused absence. A chapter I used to work with got into the bad habit of making members give membership education workshops-- which those giving the workshop not really taking it seriously.

I'm not knocking those who have to work to pay for college. As I said, I had to do it, too. But it's all about learning where your priorities are and the chapter being consistent in communicating important dates well in advance and holding members accountable.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
I would only focus on the women are unexcused. Women who are excused had a good reason or else they wouldn't be excused.
I couldn't agree more. What's the point of allowing excuses if you're still going to punish them?

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
...being in charge of clean up of an event, etc.
I think this is a good one. I know at my undergrad chapter, as soon as an event was over it was a race to get home and finish that paper, eat dinner, whatever. Getting sisters to sign up for cleanup duty was like pulling teeth. This would definitely be effective as an alternative punishment.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I know a lot of our "punishments" were cleaning out our storage units that held all of our Alpha Chi stuff, setting up for initiation, requiring help with philantropic events (i.e. volunteering at the domestic abuse shelter, helping at the thrift store that supports the domestic abuse shelter, baking/buying candy for any awareness tables we had set up), etc. Basically they just did things that were necessary to the functioning of our chapter that a lot of people don't volunteer to do.

And I agree about not punishing the excused absences. Like it was said above, what's the point of having excused and unexcused if they're both punished? Just be strict in what is excused (weddings, births, deaths) and what isn't.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't want to punish the girls who are excused necessarily, but I would like to have them make up some of the work they'll be missing while being gone. Most of the girls who are excused are missing only a day or two or the weekend right before Recruitment. I guess I see it kind of like a class--you may have to miss a class for family reasons, but you're still expected to make up all your assignments.

So it would be like: "Okay Susie, you're going to be gone tomorrow, so could you please help Kathy make nametags tonight and see if Becky has anything else she wants to you do before you go."

"Okay Janie, you're going to be gone this next weekend so could you please work with Sally (who's also going to be gone) organize the bottom half of the Recruitment cupboards and then check with Becky to see if she has anything else she wants you to do."

Okay Alice, I know you have Varsity athletics. Can you please help out as your athletic schedule allows and possibly be available to run errands for Becky if she needs something?" We would work with the girls and give them tasks appropriate to the amount of time they're going to be gone.

Work is never excused. According to the chapter Standing rules, unexcused absences from work week/recruitment result in a Standards meeting and a loss of all required points. The points only related to room choice, so that has no affect on the Seniors. Each girl living in is assigned Hostess (clean-up) duty once a semester, so having them clean normal things wouldn't really do anything (and again, doesn't affect the Seniors). They will have a specialized punishment via their Standards meeting, but we need something that will be effective and not just blown off as most Standards punishments have been in the past. Standards is not a threat in this chapter, it's a joke. I'm working hard to change that, but it's going to be a long, slow process.

The girls know who's going to be gone and why and they'll say "Oh Sally had a family reunion that weekend and nothing happened to her. I'll just say I have one next year and I'll be fine."
So many things have fallen lax at this chapter and girls have not been held accountable for their actions for so long, it's the expectation that they can pretty much do whatever they want. I really want to start following the rules as we're supposed to and hold these girls accountable. And I want to be consistent in how we do so.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really sure what a "work week" entails, but anytime there is an unexcused absence in our chapter, we fine. But it sucks for the girls that are already broke because they can't work due to events, so they miss because they need to work to pay off fines and dues they accumulate. So rather than making the girls pay these large fees, we say, if you can show up early to help set up for an event... or if you show up to a non-mandatory event... or if you help clean up after an event... or whatever, the girls can work off their fines. (Each half hour is like $5 off or something.)

It's kinda like what everyone above is saying. I know you can't fine... but putting them on different projects throughout the semester may be another alternative instead of focusing all their energy on recruitment. Granted that rush is super important as well, but it gives them the option to spread out their punishment.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:37 PM

My chapter operates on a point system so every Refinement Week (the week we spend prepping for recruitment) event is worth a certain # of points. Each month, a member must make 85% of the total points for that month. Obviously if you miss Refinement Week events without a valid excuse, you won't get points for them. If you don't get them, you won't make your 85%. If you fail to make your 85%, you aren't permitted to attend ANY scheduled social event (date party, semi-formal, etc) for the next month.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216
I know a lot of our "punishments" were cleaning out our storage units that held all of our Alpha Chi stuff, setting up for initiation, requiring help with philantropic events (i.e. volunteering at the domestic abuse shelter, helping at the thrift store that supports the domestic abuse shelter, baking/buying candy for any awareness tables we had set up), etc. Basically they just did things that were necessary to the functioning of our chapter that a lot of people don't volunteer to do.

And I agree about not punishing the excused absences. Like it was said above, what's the point of having excused and unexcused if they're both punished? Just be strict in what is excused (weddings, births, deaths) and what isn't.
Hmm.. on that note, what is considered "excused" for your chapter? I know people in my chapter are excused without punishment for study abroad, etc.

I'm going to be an RA and winter RA training conflicts with part of rush. I'm pretty sure that I'll be excused from those days of rush (since I will not be excused from RA training under any circumstances) and I'm not sure about the rest of rush.