GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,326
1 members and 1,325 guests
speedsters

Old 09-16-2002, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
Red face Class Reunions

Hello Sorors, SF's and fellow GC'ers!!!

I got an e-mail from that reunion website, classmates.com today and it told me that my high school class (T.L. Weston High School in Greenville, MS) is preparing for our 10 year reunion next year!

I don't know whether to be excited or to dread the occasion. You see, I was not popular in high school. I was very smart, but because of it, I was teased and excluded all the time. I also looked like Myrtle Urkel at the time too, so that didn't help matters much. I didn't have much of a social life back then either.

Now, it's reunion time and I'm light years away from all of that. While I want to go and see how everyone turned out, a part of me wants to go and gloat too because I found out on a recent trip home that some of my tormentors are not living the charmed life that they enjoyed in high school. (Not due to any tragic circumstances, like prison or death.)

Some questions:

If you attended your class reunion:

1. What kind of person were you in HS?
2. How have you changed?
3. Did you enjoy your reunion?
4. Did you gloat?

If you haven't attended one yet or missed yours:

1. Why? (if you missed)
2. Will you dread it or anticipate it?
3. What kind of person were you in HS?
4. How have you changed?

Sorry this was a little bit long, but I'm kind of curious to hear about other's experiences. Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2002, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

no you didn't say greenville???? I have family in greenville, ms.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Afrochic
Re: Class Reunions

Quote:
Originally posted by 9dstpm

1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed?

Sorry this was a little bit long, but I'm kind of curious to hear about other's experiences. Thanks!!
1. N/A
2. I neither dread nor anticipate my reunion. My 10 yr will be in 2003 and I'm not going. The majority of my class was so bad I don't know who would plan or have enough scruples to plan it anyway.
3. I was well known and voted a class favorite. Even though I was considered popular, a few didn't like me, because I did my work, so I was considered Miss Goody Goody. I was smart, but to some, smart wasn't considered the "in" thing, cutting class was....how stupid.
4. I've made a change for the better, I've grown so much and it's amazing that 10 years have passed. God has blessed me and I'm thankful. I have become wiser in many areas mainly distinguishing friends from associates. I've learned that sometimes you have to let certain friendships go because you outgrow. Just because she was your best friend in highschool, doesn't necessarily mean she has your back now. A great deal of my classmates didn't continue on to higher education or trade school. I've seen many in passing and some of them weren't cordial, mainly those whose lives aren't so great now. The look of the eyes and the fakeness of the smile tells the story, but I just let it roll off my back and say oh you forgot to put my biscuit in with my 2 piece . I wish I had the type of classmates where I would anticipate the reunion, but unfortunately I don't.

Dang, sounds like I'm venting a little.

If you have the type of classmates worth seeing, go and enjoy.
May 10, 2008 at 10:00 am, I will have my MBA!!!
Old 09-16-2002, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed?
1. N/A
2. I greatly anticipate it. I graduated in '99, so it's still a good ways away.
3. I was pretty popular in high school. I was an athlete, tomboy to the core though. I played basketball and softball. So I mostly hung around other athletes and people that lived near me. I am from the South, so everyone at my high school was related somehow, lol, except for me because I was new to the area. But once I got accepted by one or two relatives I was an honorary cousin, lol.
4. I have changed SO...MUCH. I still play sports here and there, but I no longer act like such a tomboy. I dress, and carry myself much differently. I have really grown up. Also, I have left many people behind, as many of my friends and acquaintances got pregnant or dropped out of school while I went to college. When I see them around, they don't hate, I think it is because I am still pretty around the way. I try not to judge people based on their decisions in life. At my reunion, I will definitely be interested to see who's life has taken what direction, but if I am successful at that time, I'm not gonna gloat. Karma, don'tcha know.

9dstpm, enjoy your reunion!!
Old 09-16-2002, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
Re: class reunions

Afrochic:

I don't have classmates that are worth seeing, either. My class was bad too. They were so silly and could not decide on anything when we were seniors that I'm shocked that they are getting this reunion together.

In a class of 130 people, there are maybe 5 people that I want to see total. I still have the same best friend that I had in high school (you know us nerds stick together) and he doesn't know if he's going and he still lives in Greenville!!

Oneinamillion:

Who are your people? I might know them. You know practically everyone in Greenville is related some kind of way! PM me!!

Like I stated earlier, I was considered a nerd because I didn't do what everyone else was doing and of course, my classmates went by the smart=white theory. I thought that was so dumb.

I have changed for the better. I tried to be "down" but that only got me a baby, a deadbeat ex-husband, and a 3 year detour from college, not to mention the misery that went along with it. I have learned to be happy with my life and to make the most of it. While I'm not the mega-success that I plotted to be, I'm happy. I have a wonderful hubby, a dynamic sisterhood in Delta, and my very smart son. A lot of my classmates cannot say that. And I remind them of that when they forget my fries at Mickey D's.

Keep them coming!!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201

Quote:

1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed?
1. My 5 year reunion from high school is not until 2004.

2. I both dread and anticipate it. I dread it because most of the people I care not to see again. I anticipate it so I can see how far people are progressed or regressed.

3. I was a class clown in high school. I always had a joke for everything!

4. Overall, I think that I have become a more mature person.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 09-17-2002, 08:58 AM
kissy324

Quote:
[B]If you haven't attended one yet or missed yours:

1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed? [B]
1. My 10 year high school reunion would've been in 1999. I didn't go, because I didn't hear about it. I'm sure they had one, but I moved to another city a half hour away, and I lost contact with most of my high school buddies.

2. I WOULD have dreaded it. I didn't care for my high school. I had a lot of good moments, but I had a lot of bad moments also.

3. I had a lot of friends, but I chose not to be part of cliques. My graduating class had close to 700 students, so imagine all of the different cliques that were in that school. The school had over 2000 students altogether! Also, I was only in school, each day, until 10:30am, and then I had to leave, and go to Cosmetology school for the rest of the day. So, I really didn't get a chance to hang out in school with friends. But I did attend mostly all of our home football games, basketball games, dances, homecoming, prom, etc...

4. I have changed COMPLETELY. I am a lot more outgoing, and disciplined. I have to admit, I was one of the most irresponsible, VERY WILD, undisciplined child. I was a person that liked to hang out in the streets. College was the best thing for me, because I've always lived in off-campus housing, and I learned what the REAL world was about. I had no choice but to learn how to be responsible.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:30 AM

1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed?

1.N/A

2. I'm not going. I don't care to know what those people are doing, that chapter of my life was closed when I walked across the stage.

3. Low-key, friendly.

4. I understand fully the saying of "Life goes on".

Ex: Earlier this year I attended the Ebony Fashion Fair with a friend of mine from college. During the intermission, we went to the ladies room where I ran into a girl from high school.

We spoke, and there was a another young lady with her. She asked me "If I remebered her"? I told her "No". Shen then said "You probably don't remember me but you remember my brother". I don't remember him either. She then went on to say "How could you not remember me"? WTH?

I told them both to have a nice day. My friend had a good laugh that night. By them acting that way, it let me know that they have'nt changed. Why would I want to go back and see catty people like that? If it's meant for me to see someone our paths will cross.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee

Quote:
Hello Sorors, SF's and fellow GC'ers!!!

1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed?

My 10 yr reunion was supposed to have taken place back in 1997 - don't ask me what happened
I probably would've enjoyed myself because we had a decent size senior class and I got along with most of them (especially those that were in Honors/Regents class with me).
I wasn't the most popular girl in school, but I had more than enough friends to get around - it was allll gooood! I'm not sure how many of us actually attended/graduated college - I'm hoping that the numbers are pretty decent.
I still hold education in high regard. I've matured quite a bit. There are definitely some things I did back in HS that I don't do now.

If you were not really feeling these folks back in the day, you probably won't feel them now. If you only have 5 people that you want to see, find an alternative way to reunite with those people. Those other miserable people are not worth your time!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I graduated from HS in 1989 and as odd as I know this sounds, we had our class reunion...get this.....SIX MONTHS later. WTH??? It was basically for the classes before us and since we were the youngest at that time, we were invited to attend. I went but the only thing I cared about was to see who went to what college and where. After that we all pretty much said we just saw each other in June....move on.

Unfortunately we didn't have a 10 year reunion in '99. In 2000 the class of '90 had one and we were invited. It started out as something grand and ended up being an evening in the Metronome, which is a club in NYC. I went as the guinnea pig for my friends from HS. I was the ONLY one there from the Class of '89.

I wasn't that popular in HS, I was picked on a lot...and didn't care. In my Senior year, I was on the Booster/Cheerleader team, the Law team and something else.

I keep in touch with a few people from HS one of which I've known since Junior High.

If we had one, I would attend to see how everyone is doing and how many joined Greek Letter Organizations after we all said that we would NOT after seeing School Daze.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Re: class reunions

Quote:

I have a wonderful hubby, a dynamic sisterhood in Delta, and my very smart son. A lot of my classmates cannot say that. And I remind them of that when they forget my fries at Mickey D's.

Now that's what I'm talking about, God has blessed you to be prosperous in your endeavors.

That's why one has to be so mindful of how they treat people. The world is big, yet so small. Be careful about the bridges you burn, because you may have to cross them again one day.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Class division at class reunions

I will be going to my 10 year High School class reunion in next summer. And even in the planning stages, there seems to be some drama. Now my high school was weird in that it was 90% black, so racism wasn't the main issue, though it was there. Mostly the issue was class. You see, we had a college prep program within the larger high school. Typically what happens in these instances is that the "rich kids" wind up in the prep program, though I was far from rich . (I won't go into the sociology of all that, but just take my word, generally it winds up this way).

Our senior year, this guy comes out of nowhere with this idea to go on a senior trip, this first time in about 10 years at my HS. He's able to organize it and pull it off where no school adminisrators or teachers have to go. He gets kudosfor it and then becomes senior class pres. One thing though, he is not in the prep program, and throughout our high school years the prep kids were the student leaders. Keep that in mind.

Fast forward ten years and it's time to organize the reunion. Out of the blue, there is a committee, appointed by him, who has already planned everything and charges everyone $175.00 a head. Now the committee is comprised not of the 'democratically elected' senior class officers, but by people he liked, and maybe his lackies? Anyrate, when people demand to know where all the money is going, the committee plays it off as negativity and "hatin' " rather than legit concerns, and do not even address them. And now people are suspicious finacial wrong doing and the such. And now people are throwing prep "snobishness" vs. non-prep "ghetto-ness" around like we 16 years old again.

It 's a shame because I do not know how well this is gonna turn out, but it could be one of the best reunions ever, our class was just that big, and appears to be quite successful. Any Suggestions from the GC fam?
Blackwatch!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap

Quote:

1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed?

1. My 20th year reunion was in August. Frankly, I loathed high school and did not want to spend time with people who basically stuck it to me for being an oddnik.

2. I didn't particularly dread it. I'm two years and a week from turning 40 -- now that's something to kind of worry about.

3. Back in HS, I was extremely insecure and fearful of my own shadow. I was truly only at ease within my family unit.
I was skinny with no breasts and butt; I looked really different; I had big glasses; no sense of personal style and as a brainiac, got no love from other AfAm kids. The anti-intellectual attitude of some of us is part of what's killing us as a race, IMO.

4. Well, I've gotten less fearful of life. I found that academic and career achievement were good, positive things. I still don't have much of a social life, but that's because I'm nearly 38 and don't have patience for BS.

I'm also less selfish. Being a virtual only child (my only sibling is 15 years my senior), I didn't know much about sharing and giving.

Finally, I look a heckuva lot better. Lost the glasses in college and am a proud contact wearer of 18 years. Got some curves, but dress tastefully for a woman of size.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 2DISCRETE4U

Quote:
Some questions:

If you attended your class reunion:

1. What kind of person were you in HS?
2. How have you changed?
3. Did you enjoy your reunion?
4. Did you gloat?

1. Why? (if you missed)
4. How have you changed?
Well I attend my 5 year high school reunion in November. There were only about 20 black graduates in our class of 130. So basically I still keep in touch with most of them since my parents still live in the same area. I'm anticipating going since I want to see the white people (don't take that the wrong way yall) I was cool with. I never see any of them when I go back into town!
I have definitely changed. I was pretty popular in school (being in all student groups and played sports...along with being the tallest in the school ) but looking back at some old pictures, I was definitely not as fashionable as I am now. I had these huge glasses ...I mean they took up my whole face...dang my friends could have told me about that one! Plus I never wore heels. I think I've grown into my beauty. I was real shy and self-conscious about my height back then but now I love being me and have learn to work with what I have!
Overall, I'm looking forward to it. I think I'll have a good time!
Old 09-17-2002, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

9dstpm check your email