GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,099
0 members and 1,099 guests
No Members online

Old 01-21-2002, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

A Dedicated Pike

I was shocked this morning to read that Randy Poynter had passed away suddenly. Randy was the Pi Kappa Alpha President when I was in school at West Georgia College, now State University.

Here's a portion of the Atlanta Journal article on Randy.

Mr. Poynter served three terms on the County Commission --- 10 years as chairman --- and was chairman of the regional planning organization twice between 1993 and 1997, when he resigned to run for lieutenant governor. Simultaneously, he was chairman of the state county commissioners' organization.

"Certainly, Randy was one of the most energetic and enthusiastic leaders the Atlanta Regional Commission ever had," said retired Executive Director Harry West of Atlanta.

"He saw the big picture and was able to see what needed to be done in the metropolitan region, even though he came from a small suburban county."

Governing Magazine named Mr. Poynter an outstanding public figure of the 1990s, added Mr. West.

Most recently, Mr. Poynter was president of a company he founded, PoyntSource Solutions Inc., a wastewater management consulting firm.

Among his survivors are his wife, Libby Poynter; two sons, Randolph Poynter and David Poynter, both students at the University of Georgia; his parents, Marion and Ken Poynter of Florida, and three sisters, said Rockdale Public Information Officer Julie Mills.

I posted this on the Pike Discussion Board, but I think that Randy exemplies the best in a Greek member.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Sad news...

So sorry to hear about the loss of such a wonderful person. Randy Poynter seems to have been a model Greek, and I know the Pikes must be very proud to claim him as their own!

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and PiKA brothers.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Brother from my own Chapter, I know that the Eta Simga Chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity at the State University of West Georgia, as well as the entire Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity will miss Randy.

Although I only met him briefly, I know he was well respected amongst our alumni and I know we were always proud that Randy was a part of our organization. He will be sorely missed by all, and I know his family is feeling a definate loss with his passing.

May God Bless his family, and all that knew Randy...he truly lived the Ritual and exemplified the qualities of Scholar, Leader, Athlete and Gentleman that all Pikes aim to be.